• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

And I’m even more of a pedant, it isn’t bolted in, they would literally have to shear the supports at the base for removal , which would make it very tricky to relocate. You can see in construction images that bolts into the footer are entirely absent, they literally filled the hole with cement to keep each piece in place.

AB54BA69-E00E-412C-8820-AD63AF59CADC.jpeg

I stand corrected. That is highly unusual..I wonder what their reasoning is there. Although the far right footer looks in place where it could be bolted the filled over.

Interesting.

And I’m even more of a pedant, it isn’t bolted in, they would literally have to shear the supports at the base for removal , which would make it very tricky to relocate. You can see in construction images that bolts into the footer are entirely absent, they literally filled the hole with cement to keep each piece in place.

AB54BA69-E00E-412C-8820-AD63AF59CADC.jpeg

They don’t need to sheer the supports. They just jack hammer the concrete to loose the footer and then lift the support out of the concrete.

Won’t be relocated though

So funnily enough, Intamin posted this to their YT channel today:-

I could see the new ride being something like this, and I think it'd be easily marketable. My only concern is that the building would need to be around 30m tall to house it, but I think it could be possible if they dug a pit. I'd really like to see something like this or a Flying Theatre, personally. Merlin just can't seem to make amazing tracked dark rides.

So funnily enough, Intamin posted this to their YT channel today:-

I could see the new ride being something like this, and I think it'd be easily marketable. My only concern is that the building would need to be around 30m tall to house it, but I think it could be possible if they dug a pit. I'd really like to see something like this or a Flying Theatre, personally. Merlin just can't seem to make amazing tracked dark rides.

This I can see....

Certainly an interesting idea, looks like Intamin's more dynamic take on a flying theatre. I do actually think a dark ride like that would be good for Towers, I would not be against it at all. I am just not sure I see them spending the money to dig down 50 feet or so to be able to construct the building, as there is no way they would get planning permission for a 100ft tall building from ground level up.

You can't help but feel like a coaster is more likely.

Certainly an interesting idea, looks like Intamin's more dynamic take on a flying theatre. I do actually think a dark ride like that would be good for Towers, I would not be against it at all. I am just not sure I see them spending the money to dig down 50 feet or so to be able to construct the building, as there is no way they would get planning permission for a 100ft tall building from ground level up.

You can't help but feel like a coaster is more likely.
I couldn't see them getting permission to dig so far down, given all the historic features in the vicinity. I'm somewhat expecting this development to feature minimal excavation, but I guess that is something we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Second gate is an industry term for secondary attractions/upsells like golf, waterpark and dungeons.

As far as brand delivery goes, again this doesn’t signify anything new - AT guests expect the park to deliver on its brand values every day. I feel that’s the context here as opposed to delivery of something new.
This was my reading of it too. And it would make sense they want to focus on second gate brand delivery, given that at Alton Towers almost all the second gates underperform in one way or another. Remember Tree Top Quest? Surely a resort theme park should be able to support a high ropes course.

I couldn't see them getting permission to dig so far down, given all the historic features in the vicinity. I'm somewhat expecting this development to feature minimal excavation, but I guess that is something we'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Yes I do think that you are right there, it would have to be one heck of a hole to house such a tall building. I think a building with a lower height that contains a family coaster featuring trick track etc. is more likely. Movie Park Germany have a couple of indoor coasters that aren't in hugely tall buildings, and BGW are putting a coaster in to the DarKastle show building (more details of this being released today).

Last edited:
Yes I do think that you are right there, it would have to be one heck of a hole to house such a tall building. I think a building with a lower height that contains a family coaster featuring track track etc. is more likely. Movie Park Germany have a couple of indoor coasters that aren't in hugely tall buildings, and BGW are putting a coaster in to the DarKastle show building (more details of this being released today).
This might be a stupid question but what's track track?

I mean if we are thinking about sorts of coasters it would be an interesting idea from them to get the same model as studio tour at Moviepark because they already have the same coaster model in thirteen. Although that shouldn't necessarily put them off, plenty of parks have two of the same coaster models.

Also I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to the new indoor coaster at Bush Gardens Williamsburg. I believe the general rumour is that it will be an Intamin indoor launch coaster? That could well work here.

For this project I wouldn't be surprised if they do go with Intamin.. Although that would potentially be the third manufacture Merlin are getting to build coasters in there parks currently. I can't help thinking that this might be part of another multi-ride deal. I imagine Mack would be very capable of building something like this so I wouldn't be surprised if this is in a bulk deal with Exodus. There's also B&M, who just a year ago I would've said have no chance of building this however I know wouldn't entirely rule it out; as much as I still think it's unlikely.

I would be surprised if any indoor coaster turned out to be B&M, mainly because of how bulky the track is. For a good family indoor coaster I think you want a more dynamic ride system.

I would be surprised if any indoor coaster turned out to be B&M, mainly because of how bulky the track is. For a good family indoor coaster I think you want a more dynamic ride system.
I definatley agree it's very unlikely, however I don't see it as impossible. I think both Intamin and Mack are far more likely.

If we are going with the idea of a multi year deal with a ride manufacturer such as the current one Merlin has with B&M, I'd put money on one being with Mack.

If they are playing a major part in totally overhauling Duel's ride system to be almost new then that could be the start of more things to follow with Mack on the park...maybe another part of the deal is work on the boat system in the Dungeons building for a future new dark ride if the Dungeons is going. Honestly the more I think about it there is a good chance any coaster in Coaster Corner will be a Mack ride, what type though is anyone's guess.

If we are going with the idea of a multi year deal with a ride manufacturer such as the current one Merlin has with B&M, I'd put money on one being with Mack.

If they are playing a major part in totally overhauling Duel's ride system to be almost new then that could be the start of more things to follow with Mack on the park...maybe another part of the deal is work on the boat system in the Dungeons building for a future new dark ride if the Dungeons is going. Honestly the more I think about it there is a good chance any coaster in Coaster Corner will be a Mack ride, what type though is anyone's guess.
I was thinking about this myself. Makes a Mack suspended powered coaster even more likely! 🤤