• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

I guess there is some contradiction across the documents, but the architects state 12-14 month construction period. I would therefore not expect anything meaningful to have happened yet (which it hasn't) in any case. Nothing having happened by March/April next year would be the real confirmation of a 2026 opening - be that a delay, or just the original plan.

1701511611073.png

A reminder that Wicker Man opened in 2018, a 2025 opening will already represent seven years since the last major reinvestment, which is desperately needed to grow, or even maintain, the park. Taking that to eight years seems extreme to me. With the best will in the world, re-opening Nemesis or adding flat rides (not convinced they will happen anyway) will do nothing to draw in a significant numbers of additional visits.
In normal investment circumstances I would agree.

But throw in effectively a two year pandemic, and cost cutting as a result I'd forgive them for 8 years. Also throw in ridiculous inflation in makes sense not to invest from business perspective.

What I am confident we will see from now on is significant investment. The park management clearly see it, and it appears Merlin do as well. Logically you'd sort your estate out first, and then look at new investments. So 24, Nemesis and another with more flats in 25 (x sector renovation?), along with Hex, sky ride and monorail fix gives them enough to manage without a new coaster. Not ideal for the GP but makes sense from a park management angle.

Are people expecting a good new flat ride for 2024 then? I was just expecting the refurbed Nemesis and maybe Hex and/or Skyride back up and running.

Personally I'm not I'm thinking what you are saying. 2025 will be the flat year. But I'm also hearing Oblivion Station is due a lot of love soon
You think we might see a retrofit for the station for Oblivion to look like its Italian counterpart?

Given it is just an updated version of that theme, does seem plausible though I would rather see them given X-Sector the whole revamp at that same time unless that is part of a larger plan?

You think we might see a retrofit for the station for Oblivion to look like its Italian counterpart?

Given it is just an updated version of that theme, does seem plausible though I would rather see them given X-Sector the whole revamp at that same time unless that is part of a larger plan?

Not 100% sure. Its just stuff I'm hearing through sources. They were pretty bang on last time they gave me data.

No manufacturer would just store the track for a year, and hold the price. Pricing is so volatile at the moment.

It's possible Merlin could vest it. I.e. they pay now for it and hold it, but again a coaster is a big thing to store.

Merlin would have to store, not manufacturer.

Seems like most people don't mind a delay it's for the greater good. How long is the Walliams IP locked in? I'd prefer them to get rid and make the horizon entrance where flavios is. Redo the rest of the area to match.

Alter the carousel, and driving school. Change gangta granny to a shooting dark ride (one of those screen based ones with some theming) and a theartre show.

Although that would leave the dungeon isolated of it was to change. Could have a huge area including the burger place.

Probably a bit much to ask really

Are people expecting a good new flat ride for 2024 then? I was just expecting the refurbed Nemesis and maybe Hex and/or Skyride back up and running.

I don’t think for start of the season, but to help with summer crowds in FV, it seems a reasonable option.

The area needs it, and it’s a midseason boost to attendance hopefully, giving an excuse for the a second visit for summer/octoberfest/scarefest.

Seems like most people don't mind a delay it's for the greater good. How long is the Walliams IP locked in? I'd prefer them to get rid and make the horizon entrance where flavios is. Redo the rest of the area to match.

Alter the carousel, and driving school. Change gangta granny to a shooting dark ride (one of those screen based ones with some theming) and a theartre show.

Although that would leave the dungeon isolated of it was to change. Could have a huge area including the burger place.

Probably a bit much to ask really

Given the PH proposed location so far back, although it could reasonably be part of Walliams world or whatever it may become.

My hunch says this will be a standalone area/attraction/theme. If this ends up being Jumanji, jungle adventure it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest

John Burton has already stated the theme will be ‘whimsical’, I wouldn’t put Jumanji in that category personally.

Plus I also wouldn’t expect them to use that IP in another UK park.

Whimsical?

Wonka.

Or chocolate. I’d be onboard with a Cadbury Coaster…

I would have thought Sony or dreamworks IP are as good a place to start as any.

Given the part of the park I’d be amazed if it wasn’t family thrill. Although I thought The Last Of Us could make an interesting indoor coaster. Akin to TWD.

Outside of that Ghostbusters? Lego?

I just don’t see it being an original IP given it’s in a box and the new CEO seeming preference for IP.

Which is a shame given Alton being a bit “different”

Didn’t JB already confirm it’s an original theme ?
Thought this too!

I'd like the area to either lean back towards Cloud Cuckoo or the Alton Towers Hotel curiosity/explorer with hints of steampunk style... it would be a shame if Horizon was added as a stand alone without incorporating more of the surrounding area.

I'd like the area to either lean back towards Cloud Cuckoo or the Alton Towers Hotel curiosity/explorer with hints of steampunk style... it would be a shame if Horizon was added as a stand alone without incorporating more of the surrounding area.
The problem with that is that Horizon will actually be quite far away from the main body of the area. When that area of the park last operated, it was always treated as a separate area to what is now The World of David Walliams.

In fact, I believe it was shown in the planning application that Horizon’s plaza will actually have its own entrance arch and pathway, to keep it completely separate from the existing area.

With regard to theme originality; correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that both John Burton and John Wardley have strongly alluded to an original theme.