• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

This project, if major, may also be an absolute pain to build. CC needs clearing out, then it might be back and forth between ride installations and bits of building being installed. Get the plans in early to sort out objections, then have plenty of time for building and commissioning and themeing and allow it to be done and ready for opening with no panic.

Definitely going to be 2025. Makes zero sense to open the Nemmy Rebuild and this in the same year.

I imagine it will be quite a long time until we find out exactly what it's going to be. Personally I'd love for it to be kept a secret until opening day but in these times of social media and camera phones that's practically impossible.

16 days since this application was submitted and still no sign of the accompanying documents on the council website - is this ‘normal’ when it comes to larger applications? Or would it have been expected that these would have been uploaded by now?

I expect them to be up at some point this week. Back in the day they would have been supplied as hard copies and scanned in, but they will all have been sent over digitally along with the application. Probably just taking a bit longer than usual to validate everything.

One thought, on the check if they needed an EIA, it said the wildlife trust was to be consulted, but they have yet to respond, as far as I am aware. Could this be holding things up?

Just been playing around on google earth to give some context and what could likely fit in such a building of this size.

Measuring generously, Spinball’s entire track layout, maintenance shed, queueline and surrounding plaza comes to 3,330m2. With this project due to be up to 4000m2 in area, it gives us a good idea on what could fit if it’s going to be a coaster.

Just been playing around on google earth to give some context and what could likely fit in such a building of this size.

Measuring generously, Spinball’s entire track layout, maintenance shed, queueline and surrounding plaza comes to 3,330m2. With this project due to be up to 4000m2 in area, it gives us a good idea on what could fit if it’s going to be a coaster.

Are you sure about these measurements?

I would have thought the entire area of Spinball with queue etc was much bigger than that.

I stand to be corrected though.

I'm getting similar measurements

1667046411679.png

Fair play. I'd have said the whole area was bigger than that just by going off perception of being there so I stand corrected.

It's going to be a decent sized coaster then isn't it? Hopefully they come up with something great and high throughput.

Whatever's going inside it I think it'll be big. I still haven't ruled out in my mind a flying theatre of some sort given the success of the one at Legoland.

I've no idea how accurate Google earth is, but here's some other examples of similar area for comparison where they are at least 200m² smaller than the proposed buildings area:

Battle Galleons
1667050927274.png

Entrance Plaza
1667051034738.png

Duel
1667051088818.png

Her Ladyship's Garden
1667051196904.png

Fountain square including Woodcutters
1667051336055.png

I think it’ll be a decent size building, for sure. I reckon it could definitely fit a coaster in there given that the ride portion alone will be at least 3,000-3,500m2, if not closer to 4,000m2, based on the measurements given.

And the 20m height would also lend itself to a coaster as well… even the flying theatre only needs a 13m high building (as per the Sky Lion planning application).

I’m also not convinced it’ll be a flying theatre myself because the ground space seems too big for one unless they’re doing a lot of theatres; even the 2-theatre Voletarium at Europa Park only takes up around a 2,000m2 space, and the 1-theatre Flight of the Sky Lion at Legoland Windsor takes up a space of less than 1,000m2.

Last edited:
Based on the proposed size and height, I would bet money on this being a coaster or some form of dark ride with drops over a flying theatre any day.

If the park wants a flying theatre, why not use the theatre or Nickelodeon buildings in TWoDW?

Does anyone else think this could also be something like Valhalla? The park has a clear gap for something like this, but I would also argue that an indoor coaster would be a fantastic addition to the park.

Based on the proposed size and height, I would bet money on this being a coaster or some form of dark ride with drops over a flying theatre any day.

If the park wants a flying theatre, why not use the theatre or Nickelodeon buildings in TWoDW?

Does anyone else think this could also be something like Valhalla? The park has a clear gap for something like this, but I would also argue that an indoor coaster would be a fantastic addition to the park.
A flying Theatre wouldn’t fit in any of the existing buildings, and it wouldn’t feel very “new” if it went behind one of those facades. I still think it would make sense for the new investment to include 2 theatres and other support rides

I could still see an interactive dark ride in the Nickelodeon building that can fit within the tight space such as Ninjago at LLW. The more indoor attractions Towers has the better they are to make the park open for more of the year.

A Valhalla type ride is another possible ride to be seen to help the the lack of water rides, maybe they decide to extend on KC by going over that road near the back which by taking half of the land seems an idea as that probably won't have as much listed status as say the Valley.

A Valhalla-type ride is a possibility, for sure. Suspiciously, people have noticed that the dimensions Alton Towers gave for the building ground space are almost identical to those of Valhalla...

It would definitely provide the park with a new water ride, and it would also provide the park with something pretty unique on the world stage.

However, I almost wonder whether building an indoor water ride, particularly one like Valhalla, would negate most of the positives of building an indoor attraction in the first place. An indoor water ride would likely be of little use during the winter season, for instance.

For reference, here’s the technical data of Intamin’s Motion Tower.

The proposed building at Alton is far bigger than the space required for this attraction and is also not tall enough. I think we can rule this out?

8DE00F1D-E3B5-4EDB-84F9-8EE400ACF6DB.jpeg

For reference, here’s the technical data of Intamin’s Motion Tower.

The proposed building at Alton is far bigger than the space required for this attraction and is also not tall enough. I think we can rule this out?

8DE00F1D-E3B5-4EDB-84F9-8EE400ACF6DB.jpeg
Given that Alton have said that they're not doing any digging, I think we probably can.

A Valhalla-type ride is a possibility, for sure. Suspiciously, people have noticed that the dimensions Alton Towers gave for the building ground space are almost identical to those of Valhalla...

It would definitely provide the park with a new water ride, and it would also provide the park with something pretty unique on the world stage.

However, I almost wonder whether building an indoor water ride, particularly one like Valhalla, would negate most of the positives of building an indoor attraction in the first place. An indoor water ride would likely be of little use during the winter season, for instance.

I still think it will be a coaster.

However if they were to 'do the dirty' on Blackpool and open a Valhalla type ride it could well be the final nail for Amanda and the PB as we know it.

Towers like their coasters though. They know how immensely popular they are and how they drive footfall. Just check Scarefest this year. Roundly criticized event yet packed to the rafters every day. Why? Rollercoasters, longer hours and night rides.

Earlier in the thread I was thinking an indoor water ride of some kind. Now I’m thinking along the lines of a Mack spinner or (less likely) an extreme spinner, a higher throughput, higher capacity and overall better ride experience to eventually replace Spinball Whizzer. Just throwing it out there, probably way off but it’s fun to guess.

Last edited: