• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

It does appear that there will be very little theming or themed facade on the front of the building, which is…odd.

Not had time to go through the documents but they don’t always put the theming on the plans, they just outline the size and sometimes a scheme of colour and texture options usually with the caveat that they will get permission from the planners during construction.

The planning portal has now crashed, lovely.

Looks like they want to begin construction in Spring 2023 if given planning permission.

Doesn't look like there are any major new details in the application either, it is all very vague with lots still to be confirmed. Not overly encouraged by plans for the facade though, it feels like you may be able to see a lot of the green warehouse from public areas of the park.

Not had time to go through the documents but they don’t always put the theming on the plans, they just outline the size and sometimes a scheme of colour and texture options usually with the caveat that they will get permission from the planners during construction.

Hopefully there is more to come theming wise. My initial comment was based around the description in the design and access statement (which I can't get to now because the website is down) and the images such as this, showing very little in the way of theming for the front of the building.

Screenshot_20221102-160549~2.png

What I could see for this is a minimal / modern exterior, emulating an airport terminal. The open glass atrium seems to fit well with this. The large arc structure I speculate will show an animated logo of some kind. The interior of the building would see pre shows themed around the idea of a unique flight taking in the sights of the United Kingdom.

The ride experience would be broadly similar to Soarin, but with the dynamic motion that is achieved by FotSL (I expect they’ll use this ride system as it’s proven by Merlin). There’s a lot to cover here, but certainly I’d expect a mix of cityscape, landscape, and monuments such as Stonehenge and Big Ben to make appearances. The finale would take place flying over Alton Towers during fireworks, and then “arriving” back at the attraction itself.

The building could well have space for a small exit shop, this could be an arrival lounge / Duty Free set up to continue the theme. A British Airways sponsorship would add much needed gravitas and class

I wouldn’t hate it

So ... It isn't "happening here".

More to this, or this isn't the big thing.

Whether it is a coaster or other ride, this is clearly the next big thing at Alton Towers. I still think an indoor coaster is most likely for this.
I just can’t imagine a major coaster having such a bland exterior, and for a £12.5million price tag I can’t imagine it would be very good, nevermind the “next big thing” in coasters

£12.5m does seem rather low for a building of that size plus a coaster too. Although I always think parks over egg their investments to include the marketing with it too so it might not be far off.

I really hope it's not a Flying Theatre (I still don't think it is) as they are incredibly dull rides. They are a 'once and done' type of attraction in my eyes and just don't have the same re-ride appeal like a dark ride and coasters have.

What interests me is the three sets of doors linking the extension to the main building. Preshows maybe?