• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Not sure what it is, just looks like a pin. It is outside of the application area though so is unlikely to be relevant.
maybe a reference to Walliams world entrance. But as rob says it’s not involved in the application.

No, and I wouldn't expect there to be any real updates in the near future. The current project is the Nemesis re-track and that is where all of the marketing focus will be leading in to the 2024 season.

There may well be initial clearing works taking place at the Horizon site, but it is hard to see from the park so we wouldn't really know about it.

I'm sure Mr Squadding Quads will let you know with his drone updates whenever he gets a chance to report ANYTHING AT ALL. He's probably crying into his drone nowadays as his videos don't get any views when it's not an Alton Towers update. I wonder if anyone ever did buy him a cup of coffee so that he could travel down to Thorpe Park :tearsofjoy:

I'm sure Mr Squadding Quads will let you know with his drone updates whenever he gets a chance to report ANYTHING AT ALL. He's probably crying into his drone nowadays as his videos don't get any views when it's not an Alton Towers update. I wonder if anyone ever did buy him a cup of coffee so that he could travel down to Thorpe Park :tearsofjoy:
I hope they're not crying into their drone, as almost all drones can't run in the rain, so their tears might damage it!

Should've went to the north west instead, it's a golden age of drone vlogging up here what with two football stadium constructions on going.

....anyway. In terms of progress, I would imagine there will be progress very soon. Does that translate into progress we can see? Probably not.
But progress on the site / out of sight to bring this project a reality, almost certainly.

I think the biggest step forward so far is the archaeological dig going ahead this month. Once that is completed, I think I am right in saying construction can / will start shortly after to get this ready for early 2025 I assume. If they start proper construction around August / September time, that gives them about 18 months, so it might be a bit earlier than that. Not only does ground clearance need to be undertaken, a building, services, the actual ride system, area and theming all need to be put together. I would hedge my bets that construction is due to start very, very soon.

We probably will not see much mind you, but it will be nice to know that groundwork has begun on what is probably my most anticipated brand new attraction at Alton in quite a few years. As Rob quite rightly pointed out, Nemesis is their next big thing, so all public facing focus will be quite rightly put onto that, but I am sure, plenty of progress will be going on in the background for this however.

It just occurred to me actually, the construction of Nemesis / Horizon will surely overlap. By Jan / Feb next year, Horizon will be well underway I am sure. Can anyone remember the last time at Alton Towers, two major construction projects were being carried out at the same time? Alton and Merlin do have many faults, but the prospect of this is quite exciting to me.

Last edited:
I think the biggest step forward so far is the archaeological dig going ahead this month. Once that is completed, I think I am right in saying construction can / will start shortly after to get this ready for early 2025 I assume. If they start proper construction around August / September time, that gives them about 18 months, so it might be a bit earlier than that. Not only does ground clearance need to be undertaken, a building, services, the actual ride system, area and theming all need to be put together. I would hedge my bets that construction is due to start very, very soon.
The CEMP the park submitted as part of this application states the construction period is projected to last approximately 78 weeks. Starting at the end of August would give them few weeks 'spare' prior to the park opening in March 2025.

That seems cryptic even for Alton Towers... I'm guessing that this is someone having a laugh.