• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

Also in addition to Mandrill don’t forget the other Legoland B&M plus Nemsis retrack so that’s three coasters Merlin are working/worked with B&M on in the last 12 months.

So I agree we can’t rule B&M even on cost grounds as Merlin will likely have gotten a hefty discount for buying multiple coasters.

I would argue that it is unlikely to be a B&M based on the building size, unless this is a completely new model and track design, which I find unlikely.

One of the ways B&M get their rides to be so smooth is through the use of their famous box section spine. This is great, but this spine adds quite a bit of bulk to the track pieces, which in turn adds size and bulk to the overall structure. This is fine and makes for a great ride. But it is also a reason why you rarely or maybe never, have seen a B&M indoors. Another reason being, indoor rides are generally well themed. You will need a BIG budget to theme an indoor coaster as it is, that is before you factor in B&M. You may get a discount, airlines do after all on aircraft, but even if they got a discount, the price would still be above what other models from other manufactures cost.

Given the building size, a pretty small and dull B&M would fit inside it based on the limitations and schematics of their existing models, including if you even factored in a launch.

I think it is more likely to be another company, with smaller track, that has less bulk and can twist, turn and do it's thing in a much smaller footprint....a model that is ideal for a building like this. Something that I do not think any current B&M model is. Given they have just debuted a new design, I find it unlikely they have another to prototype so soon, never say never though. I just personally find it highly unlikely.

I would argue that it is unlikely to be a B&M based on the building size, unless this is a completely new model and track design, which I find unlikely.

One of the ways B&M get their rides to be so smooth is through the use of their famous box section spine. This is great, but this spine adds quite a bit of bulk to the track pieces, which in turn adds size and bulk to the overall structure. This is fine and makes for a great ride. But it is also a reason why you rarely or maybe never, have seen a B&M indoors. Another reason being, indoor rides are generally well themed. You will need a BIG budget to theme an indoor coaster as it is, that is before you factor in B&M. You may get a discount, airlines do after all on aircraft, but even if they got a discount, the price would still be above what other models from other manufactures cost.

Given the building size, a pretty small and dull B&M would fit inside it based on the limitations and schematics of their existing models, including if you even factored in a launch.

I think it is more likely to be another company, with smaller track, that has less bulk and can twist, turn and do it's thing in a much smaller footprint....a model that is ideal for a building like this. Something that I do not think any current B&M model is. Given they have just debuted a new design, I find it unlikely they have another to prototype so soon, never say never though. I just personally find it highly unlikely.

I agree it’s unlikely. I just think we can no longer rule them out given their new track design.

honestly if alton towers just got an SBF Visa spinning coaster and put the most insane theming on it i would be so excited about it.

With how frequently Alton Towers operates their coasters, with excellent operations most of the time. An SBF would be a pile of scrap and dust after half a season.

I fear that if you operated any SBF with a time between dispatches that was any shorter than your average working-class man's tea break time, it would create major and irreversible technical, mechanical and structural problems for said coaster and/or ride.

They are however, excellent value if you want to build a rollercoaster in your backyard. Where the thing is only going to do a couple of cycles per month. Best not to do any more however, you do not want to push it.

Last edited:
Towers need a ride that can take hammer. Spinball for example still gets more hammer, even though it's up and down compared to most rides in park, it probably cycles more than half the coasters in the country do.

Towers need a ride that can take hammer. Spinball for example still gets more hammer, even though it's up and down compared to most rides in park, it probably cycles more than half the coasters in the country do.
the design and build quality isn't brilliant either

Spinball does have lower build quality, but nothing as bad as SBF or other cheaper manufacturers. Towers need a good quality ride in terms of manufacturing quality as well as ride experience to keep downtime minimal and hopefully not fall to bits.

You say that but in the 20 years its been operating, has it needed much work done to the supports and track? Genuine question, I'm not being sarcastic or anything. (sorry, veering off-topic a bit)
No that's a good point, it has stood the test of time, what i'm saying is their are certain things about it that make it far from perfect.

Due to building restrictions and budget this ride will most likely cater for families, I’m
Sure it be a great new addition but I wouldn’t expect too much! Multi launches are great combined with dark ride elements and theming this will be really unique for the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The quoted price surely doesn't include the attraction inside, though, right, let alone the theming cost associated with a decent dark ride.

So I have had a thought.

The planning application states an 18 month build time. If that is accurate then we should be seeing construction start now for a 2025 opening. There isn’t a sniff of evidence that anything is going on around the site.

My pondering is thus: is this a 2026 opening? And that they have gone for an early planning application as the ride is going to have a fairly expensive IP and they didn’t want to start contract negotiations and internal design unless they had confirmation that they could get planning permission for the building?

Anyway it’s just conjecture but if we don’t see construction start soon then we have to consider that Horizon will not arrive for another 2 seasons.

So I have had a thought.

The planning application states an 18 month build time. If that is accurate then we should be seeing construction start now for a 2025 opening. There isn’t a sniff of evidence that anything is going on around the site.

My pondering is thus: is this a 2026 opening? And that they have gone for an early planning application as the ride is going to have a fairly expensive IP and they didn’t want to start contract negotiations and internal design unless they had confirmation that they could get planning permission for the building?

Anyway it’s just conjecture but if we don’t see construction start soon then we have to consider that Horizon will not arrive for another 2 seasons.
The problem is that we can’t really tell whether anything is going on on the site due to how far away it is from the main park. It’s not visible from the main park and nobody has flown a drone up in a while, so we don’t really know what is going on on the site.

It’s also worth considering that the 18 month build time could also encapsulate more minor work, such as moving the stuff that’s currently in situ on the site, as well as the more major work like the actual digging and building and ride construction. We’re less likely to see signs of minor work at this stage than signs of major work.

The problem is that we can’t really tell whether anything is going on on the site due to how far away it is from the main park. It’s not visible from the main park and nobody has flown a drone up in a while, so we don’t really know what is going on on the site.

It’s also worth considering that the 18 month build time could also encapsulate more minor work, such as moving the stuff that’s currently in situ on the site, as well as the more major work like the actual digging and building and ride construction. We’re less likely to see signs of minor work at this stage than signs of major work.

I would put money on people having flown drones up, they just haven’t had anything interesting to post. Now Nemesis construction is visible from the park you don’t gain much from drone footage of that.