• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

I do not think I can rule Zamperla out right now either, they are not just talking the big talk, they are playing the big game. Top Thrill Dragster 2.0 is proof of this. Being indoors, some sort of launch is very likely. Alongside the usual indoor sort of ride type. Intamin are obviously the market leaders for this type of ride so seem an obvious choice. But with Zamperla barking at their heels, this leaves potential for them too.

With all that said, I feel this could be an Intamin, that is just my personal opinion. I feel with Intamin being a company that has built large rides for a long time. Their quality and safety records will be held in much higher regard than Zamperla, who are yet to prove themselves in this big game. Given past incidents at the park, specifically the Smiler accident, I feel the park would go with Intamin over Zamperla purely on the basis of their proven (but not perfect) safety record. The large Intamin rides at Merlin parks including Alton Towers have a very good safety record. A proven record. Something Zamperla do not have for big rides, so I do not feel the park would want to gamble with that, given how devastating a previous accident was.

Last edited:
My heart says uncharted multi dimensional type ride.

My head says something like DarkCoaster with a multi circuit track, perhaps with a Last Of Us theme given the Sony tie ins recently.

Or perhaps we’re all way off and this could in fact be a Garmendale Motion Master like Jumanji, Merlin would get more bang for their buck being local, multi buy given the one at Garda. First trackless dark ride in the UK?

MMM would of learnt a hell of a lot from GG, TCAAM and Jumanji recently so I’d be intrigued to see what they did with a big budget.

IP wise, I’d love to see Altons version of Symbolica at Efteling, themed to Algenons mansion (see Mystic Manor), we could otherwise end up with anything from Doctor Who to Top Gear or Gran Turismo (perfect for a multi lap ride), perhaps?

If this was just a standard dark ride, that is one tall building for just that. The only way they would need a building that tall is if they were planning some really tall sets. I think a rollercoaster filling that space is more likely. It is a large cavernous space to fill with what would be very expensive and large sets. It would however, be very impressive. Rather than going into a coaster vs traditional dark ride debate which has been had many times. I think it might be beneficial to explain some of the reasons as to why it is going to be a coaster...

As a general comparison, Alton Manor's show building is around the 8meter height mark. I can't remember the exact figure, but it is in that ball park. Project Horizon's show building is 20 meters high.

It is kind of in-between. Too tall for a conventional dark ride (for a park with budgets like AT), too small for a conventional coaster lift hill to give a decent bit of momentum (especially when you account for clearances for the coaster and riders etc). This is why I think some sort of coaster with a launch is likely, as you do not need height for the launch. But you need enough height to fit some decent elements after a launch, with space for some set pieces and themed scenes (dark ride sections) if needed - something this does have. I think those reasons go a good way to explainin why this is a coaster. 😊

Moving away and on from that discussion. I think for me, the most interesting and intriguing thing with this project right now is what theme this is going to take on. Horizon suggests a play on words with the event horizon of a black hole in space. Which is not only a previous attraction at the park, but a space themed one at that.

This could just as likely be a nod to the past, an easter egg to the previous indoor coaster at the park, which had a space theme. While having a totally new theme all together. Similar to how they have put easter eggs into Alton Manor, just these are in the plans.

I hope it is just that, a reference to the past. So many great opportunities here to build a great new ride with a new theme never before seen at the park. I hope they take that route.

Last edited:
If this was just a standard dark ride, that is one tall building for just that. The only way they would need a building that tall is if they were planning some really tall sets. I think a rollercoaster filling that space is more likely. It is a large cavernous space to fill with what would be very expensive and large sets. It would however, be very impressive. Rather than going into a coaster vs traditional dark ride debate which has been had many times. I think it might be beneficial to explain some of the reasons as to why it is going to be a coaster...

As a general comparison, Alton Manor's show building is around the 8meter height mark. I can't remember the exact figure, but it is in that ball park. Project Horizon's show building is 20 meters high.

It is kind of in-between. Too tall for a conventional dark ride (for a park with budgets like AT), too small for a conventional coaster lift hill to give a decent bit of momentum (especially when you account for clearances for the coaster and riders etc). This is why I think some sort of coaster with a launch is likely, as you do not need height for the launch. But you need enough height to fit some decent elements after a launch, with space for some set pieces and themed scenes (dark ride sections) if needed - something this does have. I think those reasons go a good way to explainin why this is a coaster. 😊

Moving away and on from that discussion. I think for me, the most interesting and intriguing thing with this project right now is what theme this is going to take on. Horizon suggests a play on words with the event horizon of a black hole in space. Which is not only a previous attraction at the park, but a space themed one at that.

This could just as likely be a nod to the past, an easter egg to the previous indoor coaster at the park, which had a space theme. While having a totally new theme all together. Similar to how they have put easter eggs into Alton Manor, just these are in the plans.

I hope it is just that, a reference to the past. So many great opportunities here to build a great new ride with a new theme never before seen at the park. I hope they take that route.
I agree with this, and it makes me think Intamin family launch coaster more than ever to be honest.

We can only hope it is an IP of the long running bbc documentary series, and is a 50 minute long dark ride presented as a visual essay on an interesting but dry subject.

In reality I also think that the project name alludes to space. What is considered the best example of a coaster to space? In terms of effects and sensation?
Space Mountains are obviously the big ones, but they are all running on ancient rides and effect technology. I think there is a realistic opportunity for MMM to make the best and most exciting representation of space coaster travel in the world with this, if that is their direction.

Last edited:
if it’s an IP my guess is Dr Who
That’s a decent assumption. It’s fairly timeless (no pun intended!) and keeps being reinvented so it has the longevity factor which can be lacking with some IPs.

I hope it’s an original concept personally though. Would love to see the Port Discovery idea come to fruition.

if it’s an IP my guess is Dr Who

You know, that's not a bad shout. Personally I am not a fan of Dr Who, but that does not mean I dislike it and it does not mean that I do not think it would be a great fit, it would be. You could make a theme like that work in it's own little bubble / area, in that part of the park - quite well I think.

It is certainly better than a generic space theme. While I do think MMM could pull a generic & cliché space theme quite well. I think they should be aiming for something more unique. Dr Who would certainly tick that box, while still having a loose Space Theme.

I am secretly hoping for Lister & Krytron's Space Adventure :sweatsmile:. I've been waiting since the mid 1990's. Any day now. I am not sure if the younger folk will know who they are. But if you know, you know.

Last edited:
I would prefer it not to have an IP but if it does it needs to be a uniquely British IP (CBeebies works but the previous plan to have a shrek 3D in that area would have annoyed me).

Dr Who has that quirky Britishness that works with Alton Towers, is globally popular and as others have said timeless. Also suits an indoor coaster/ dark ride hybrid.

I am secretly hoping for Lister & Krytron's Space Adventure :sweatsmile:. I've been waiting since the mid 1990's. Any day now. I am not sure if the younger folk will know who they are. But if you know, you know.
I’d sign that petition. Definitely prefer red dwarf over doctor who 👍

I love that we can have a bunch of people bemoaning the new Nemesis track, because they're adamant it'll never be cleaned/kept fresh, in one thread and have another in which folks are suggesting an IP where the main character changes appearance every 3-4 years for the ride immediately after Nemesis. :D

I love that we can have a bunch of people bemoaning the new Nemesis track, because they're adamant it'll never be cleaned/kept fresh, in one thread and have another in which folks are suggesting an IP where the main character changes appearance every 3-4 years for the ride immediately after Nemesis. :D

You don’t have to have the doctor feature that heavily. The monsters are more interesting for a dark ride anyway.

The doctor can feature on screens so easily changed.

The Port Discovery idea is one I've been banging on about for both Project Horizons and a retheme for TWODW for a good while now though honestly it's not without reason that this could happen.

Prior before X-Sector, we all know that Port Discovery was literally a hair's breath away from happening had it not been for the buyout for Thorpe around that time that saw any funds cut for that then we would have likely had Port Discovery instead of X-Sector right now, the fact the park was already starting to retheme Black Hole regarding its station does show that the park was committed to the idea until other factors forced their hand.

You could make a argument that the park had already dabbled with steampunk in regards to the ATH but that's another story but no doubt there would be some within the MMM that would have been part of that design team during the Tussauds days who would have wanted to see Port Discovery brought to life in which technically speaking can still happen as the Port Discovery name was trademarked back then showing how close things were to happen so there is nothing stopping Merlin to go for it plus there will be those who were there when the concept was scrapped who will likely be leaving who are the last of the last of the Tussauds crew who could perhaps see Project Horizons as the final chance for them to bring Port Discovery to life or at least a steampunk theme on the park at last. Many ideas don't die, they just rest on a shelf until further notice.

The Port Discovery idea is one I've been banging on about for both Project Horizons and a retheme for TWODW for a good while now though honestly it's not without reason that this could happen.

Prior before X-Sector, we all know that Port Discovery was literally a hair's breath away from happening had it not been for the buyout for Thorpe around that time that saw any funds cut for that then we would have likely had Port Discovery instead of X-Sector right now, the fact the park was already starting to retheme Black Hole regarding its station does show that the park was committed to the idea until other factors forced their hand.

You could make a argument that the park had already dabbled with steampunk in regards to the ATH but that's another story but no doubt there would be some within the MMM that would have been part of that design team during the Tussauds days who would have wanted to see Port Discovery brought to life in which technically speaking can still happen as the Port Discovery name was trademarked back then showing how close things were to happen so there is nothing stopping Merlin to go for it plus there will be those who were there when the concept was scrapped who will likely be leaving who are the last of the last of the Tussauds crew who could perhaps see Project Horizons as the final chance for them to bring Port Discovery to life or at least a steampunk theme on the park at last. Many ideas don't die, they just rest on a shelf until further notice.

I doubt very much anyone from 1997/8 Tussauds studio is still in MMM now.

I'm reckoning we might have a space theme for this ride, personally. The warehouse aesthetic shown in the planning application gives off a space/flight vibe to me.

I wouldn't necessarily be averse to an IP theme, but I think it's hard to tell whether or not the project will utilise one.

As for ride hardware, I'm still predicting an Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster. The smaller size of the building in coaster terms leads me toward a ride with a sizeable dark ride element rather than a regular coaster in a warehouse, and Intamin's Multi-Dimensional Coaster also has plenty of trick track options that would satisfy Merlin's USP requirement and make something suitably unique.