• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

A quantitative, multi-part analysis of Europe’s major coaster selections (Part 3: "QuantOverQual" and "QualOverQuant")

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Disclaimer: This post is extremely long, and if you don't like data analysis and geeky maths talk, I'd suggest you run for the hills and don't look back, because this post has quite a bit of it!
Hi guys. There are a lot of theme parks in Europe, as well as a lot of roller coasters. So naturally, people (myself included) tend to ask questions like “which park has Europe’s best roller coaster lineup?” or “which parks are quality-over-quantity and which parks are quantity-over-quality?”, amongst others. As such, while it’s not really a discussion thread as such, I thought it might be fun to try to take a quantitative look into some of these questions and try to answer them using some data science techniques. So join me as I attempt to perform a quantitative, multi-part analysis of Europe’s major coaster selections! I'll split my investigations into a couple of posts, one for each question, to make it a little more digestible.

Before we start, let me set out a few prerequisites and explain some of the facts regarding the investigation…
Prerequisites of the Investigation
  • I am using the coaster ratings on Captain Coaster (https://captaincoaster.com/en/) as of March 2022 to perform this investigation. If you look at each ride’s page on CC, it has a % score out of 100; this is what I have used and converted into ratings out of 10. For the rating out of 10 of a ride, I converted the percentage into a rating by dividing by 10 (so for instance, a ride rated 87% would have an average rating of 8.7/10).
  • Building upon the ratings stuff; all ratings are rounded to the nearest 0.1 (so to 1dp).
  • As a rule of thumb of what’s considered major, I went with; to be considered, a park must have 5 scoreable roller coasters. If you’re wondering why I get so specific in saying “scoreable roller coasters”, it’s because Captain Coaster does not score what it considers to be “kiddie coasters”, so not every ride in a park's lineup is scored. As such, this means that parks with 5 kiddie coasters wouldn't be eligible for this investigation; my rule ensures that a park in the study has 5 family/family thrill coasters, at the very least. It also doesn't score rides where the ridership is too low, but that doesn't really affect this investigation; even the newest major coasters in Europe like Ride to Happiness and Kondaa were ridden enough to be scoreable.
  • However, one inconsistency is that Captain Coaster has a somewhat inconsistent definition of what it considers a kiddie coaster. For instance, things like the Steeplechases at Blackpool are considered kiddie coasters, but Blue Flyer in the same park, which I personally would consider a kiddie coaster, isn't. The site also has rides listed on it that some probably wouldn't count as roller coasters, but some do, such as SuperSplash at Plopsaland and Fuga de Atlantide at Gardaland. I just decided to go with the site's scores and the rides that the site scored, as even though I could calculate the mean rating of some unscored rides, I don't think CC's scoring system only uses mean rating, as I seem to remember it being mentioned that members' rankings are also factored in, so me attempting to meddle with CC's system risks introducing bias and skewing the data the wrong way, which you definitely don't want in a data investigation. However, I did think this was something I should raise before we begin.
  • The most important prerequisite of all is that the results of this investigation are not necessarily the final answers to the questions I raised in my introductory paragraph by any stretch. All of this still comes entirely down to personal opinion, of course.
Right then; I think that's everything, so let's dive into the dataset...
The Dataset
When applying my criteria and thinking of parks in Europe that might qualify for this, as well as searching through RCDB just to check that I hadn't missed any obvious ones (as it turned out, I had missed a few on the first check...), I came out with approximately 36 theme parks to analyse in total, with 253 scoreable roller coasters between them. The theme parks being studied are as follows, with the number of scoreable roller coasters each park has being listed in brackets:
  1. Alton Towers, UK (9)
  2. Bellewaerde, Belgium (6)
  3. Blackpool Pleasure Beach, UK (10)
  4. Bobbejaanland, Belgium (8)
  5. Djurs Sommerland, Denmark (6)
  6. Efteling, Netherlands (8)
  7. Energylandia, Poland (11)
  8. Europa Park, Germany (12)
  9. Farup Sommerland, Denmark (6)
  10. Flamingo Land, UK (5)
  11. Freizeit-Land Geiselwind, Germany (5)
  12. Gardaland, Italy (8)
  13. Grona Lund, Sweden (6)
  14. Hansa Park, Germany (6)
  15. Heide Park, Germany (8)
  16. Linnanmaki, Finland (8)
  17. Liseberg, Sweden (5)
  18. Mirabilandia, Italy (8)
  19. Movie Park Germany, Germany (8)
  20. Nigloland, France (6)
  21. Parc Asterix, France (5)
  22. Parque de Atracciones de Madrid, Spain (5)
  23. Parque Warner Madrid, Spain (6)
  24. Phantasialand, Germany (8)
  25. Plopsaland de Panne, Belgium (7)
  26. PortAventura Park, Spain (8)
  27. PowerPark, Finland (6)
  28. Skyline Park, Germany (5)
  29. Thorpe Park, UK (7)
  30. Toverland, Netherlands (6)
  31. Tripsdrill, Germany (6)
  32. TusenFryd, Norway (5)
  33. Walibi Belgium, Belgium (9)
  34. Walibi Holland, Netherlands (6)
  35. Walibi Rhone-Alpes, France (5)
  36. Wiener Prater, Austria (10)
I think that just about covers everything, but if you feel I’ve missed an obvious one, then don’t be afraid to tell me.

Let's move on to some fun stuff now... I'll start analysing some different common questions and see what answers I come out with. I'll use this first post to do...
Which European theme park has the strongest coaster lineup?
Let's start with the big one; which European theme park has the strongest coaster lineup?

There are many different ways you could measure this, but I'll start with the simplest one; the mean coaster rating of each park...
Mean Coaster Ranking of each Park

If I look at the Explore function of this spreadsheet, the top 10 highest mean ratings come out as follows:

RankingParkMean Rating out of 10 (to 1dp)Number of Scoreable Coasters
1Liseberg7.65
2Phantasialand7.58
3Alton Towers7.39
4Grona Lund6.96
5Efteling6.58
6Toverland6.36
7Walibi Holland6.26
8Tripsdrill6.16
9Europa Park6.112
10Djurs Sommerland6.16

Those certainly aren't the answers I'd have expected, I'll admit, but that's what the data says for that particular method. However, it should be said that the mean is far more easily swayed by outliers in any particular direction than some other methods (for instance, it's very easily swayed by one coaster rating much more highly or lowly than the others on average).

Let's explore a different method...
Median Coaster Rating of each Park
Instead of using the calculated average (mean), I'm going to be using the median, the middle-ranking value for each park, this time.

Using Google Sheets to explore the median values instead of the mean, the top 10 median values are as follows:
RankingParkMedian Rating out of 10Amount of Scoreable Coasters
1Liseberg8.95
2Alton Towers7.79
3Phantasialand7.78
4Walibi Holland7.26
5Thorpe Park6.97
6Grona Lund6.96
7Parque Warner Madrid6.36
8Heide Park6.38
9Tripsdrill6.36
10Toverland6.26
Interesting to see that we have quite a few differing results when we change to the median; in spite of the top 3 staying consistent, 4-10 have actually changed a fair amount! I guess the median is possibly a better gauge of a consistently well-rated coaster selection than mean, because it isn't as easily swayed by one particularly highly rated or lowly rated attraction. But at the same time, it also doesn't really take into account those more highly rated or lowly rated coasters either; if a park's highest rated coaster is rated more highly than a median of 7/10, for instance, it makes no difference whether it's an 8/10 or 10/10.

With that in mind, I have concocted my own formula (of sorts) that I think offers the best of both worlds...
My formula for coaster selection quality
The formula that I propose seems to me like a good way to take into account both a park's highly rated coasters and the consistent quality of their selection. It is as follows:
Matt N's Formula for Coaster Selection Quality: Score = (Highest rating + upper quartile)*(Lowest rating + lower quartile)
Now I don't know if I've got my assumptions 100% correct here, but my assumption was that the use of the highest rating and lowest rating would ensure that any standouts at either end are adequately accounted for, but the use of the quartiles would ensure that the consistency of a park's coaster selection is also accounted for, and that the two metrics cancel each other out and make the playing field level. The higher the score, the higher the rank.

Using the Matt N Formula, the top 10 was as follows:
RankingParkMatt N Formula ScoreUpper quartileLower quartileHighest ratingLowest ratingAmount of Scoreable Coasters
1Alton Towers196.98.47.19.53.99
2Phantasialand191.79.27.19.838
3Liseberg188.29.489.81.85
4Grona Lund183.27.76956
5Efteling164.58.25.38.54.68
6Europa Park141.47.34.993.812
7Toverland128.88.54.99.22.46
8Tripsdrill120.28.15.38.81.86
9Djurs Sommerland112.87.95.39.31.36
10Parque de Atracciones de Madrid110.37.14.97.62.65
I'll admit those aren't the results I expected, and I know they probably look a bit weird to some of you, but that is what the data came out with.
So, in conclusion...
Well, that produced some interesting data! I'll admit that the results weren't quite what I was expecting, but I do think they make sense when you look at the data.

In terms of the answer to the initial question of "what is Europe's highest rated coaster selection?"; even though the parks in the top 10 for each method varied, the top 3 stayed consistent every time, and that top 3 was Liseberg, Phantasialand and Alton Towers. In terms of an order for those top 3; I'd probably go with something like this based on the data:
  1. Liseberg (won 2/3)
  2. Alton Towers (beat Phantasialand in 2/3, while Phantasialand only beat Towers in 1/3)
  3. Phantasialand
However, I should stress that just because my data analysis put these parks on top, that is not "the correct answer" to the question by any stretch. As with most things, it all boils down to your own personal opinion and personal preference. You might think these results are hogwash, and that's fine; your personal answer to this question is entirely down to your opinion.

Before we end, here's the Google Sheet with my calculations, for your viewing pleasure:

And here is the dataset shown in visual form using a boxplot, coded in Python using MatPlotLib, Seaborn and Pandas (Python libraries). This shows the median, upper quartile, lower quartile, highest value, lowest value and any outliers (values more than 1.5 times the interquartile range from the upper or lower quartile) for each park:
Coaster-Lineups-Boxplot.png

I know that the x-axis is a bit of a jumbled mess, so let me clear up the order in which the parks appear so that you can more clearly see which park's boxplot is which.

The boxplots appear in the following order, from left to right:
  1. Alton Towers
  2. Thorpe Park
  3. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
  4. Phantasialand
  5. Liseberg
  6. Walibi Holland
  7. Energylandia
  8. Plopsaland de Panne
  9. Walibi Belgium
  10. Europa Park
  11. PortAventura
  12. Parque Warner Madrid
  13. Parque de Atracciones de Madrid
  14. Efteling
  15. Bobbejaanland
  16. Toverland
  17. Movie Park Germany
  18. Heide Park
  19. Hansa Park
  20. Flamingo Land
  21. Tripsdrill
  22. Parc Asterix
  23. Gardaland
  24. Mirabilandia
  25. Djurs Sommerland
  26. Farup Sommerland
  27. TusenFryd
  28. Linnanmaki
  29. Bellewaerde
  30. Nigloland
  31. Skyline Park
  32. PowerPark
  33. Grona Lund
  34. Wiener Prater
  35. Walibi Rhone-Alpes
  36. Freizeit-Land Geiselwind
So, I hope you found my first dive into European coaster selection data interesting! I'll certainly be answering more questions about this dataset at some point in the near future; I've got some ideas of my own, but I'm also happy to accept suggestions from any of you of questions you'd like answering.

I apologise for the ridiculously long post, I hope you find this interesting, and if you have any questions or feedback, or if anything isn't clear, then don't be afraid to ask me!

Well I have marked university essays that are shorter than that but well done. I suppose my only observation (can’t believe I’m checking the confounders on a coaster forum) is there any potential bias in the captain coaster data (I have never heard of it)? Does it have a strong user base in any one country?

I ask as the parks in the top 10 are all relatively visitable for UK enthusiasts or have had big attractions recently that might attract UK visitors, also Alton Towers scores very highly (now I know it’s easy to forget how good a coaster lineup Alton towers actually had when it’s on your door step but it still needs to be considered).

Thank you for reminding me I have an advanced calculus lecture in ten hours time 😂. Captain Coaster is actually run by French enthusiasts but I'd say it's about as unbiased as we're going to get.

Thank you for reminding me I have an advanced calculus lecture in ten hours time 😂. Captain Coaster is actually run by French enthusiasts but I'd say it's about as unbiased as we're going to get.

That would explain it, Alton Towers is really highly regarded amongst a lot of French enthusiasts for some reason.

Well I have marked university essays that are shorter than that but well done. I suppose my only observation (can’t believe I’m checking the confounders on a coaster forum) is there any potential bias in the captain coaster data (I have never heard of it)? Does it have a strong user base in any one country?

I ask as the parks in the top 10 are all relatively visitable for UK enthusiasts or have had big attractions recently that might attract UK visitors, also Alton Towers scores very highly (now I know it’s easy to forget how good a coaster lineup Alton towers actually had when it’s on your door step but it still needs to be considered).
Captain Coaster is actually based in France, starting as an extension of CoastersWorld.fr, a French enthusiast forum, so if anything, France should have a bit of a bias in its favour. Yet somehow, neither Parc Asterix nor any other French theme park make the top 10 for any method.

The reason I used Captain Coaster is because it provides by far the easiest way of gauging average opinions on rides, as it is the only site that really lets its users rate coasters in a binary way that lends itself to data analysis. However, it does have an increasing international user base, and I wouldn't say it's particularly skewed toward any one country. Yes, France is where its origins are, and a lot of its users are from mainland Europe, but there are now quite a few users from other places, the UK, the USA, Canada and even places like Asia. So as @Thameslink Rail implied; while possibly not perfect, Captain Coaster is about as unbiased as you'll probably get. The site doesn't appear to have a strong bias by any stretch.

One thing I thought of that may benefit Towers is that rides that could be considered major thrill coasters make up a pretty high percentage of its coaster selection compared to others in Europe; there's not a lot of "filler" coasters at Towers. One weakness I'll admit with the way I did this investigation is that it is naturally a little biased against parks with a lot of filler coasters, which is why places like Europa Park and Energylandia don't score especially highly. Add to that the fact that Towers also doesn't have anything considered particularly terrible compared to some other parks (yes, I know rides like Rita sometimes get flack, but it's far from being considered universally terrible or even especially average on the world stage compared to the worst rated rides at some other parks; Towers doesn't have anything like an SLC, or a Boomerang, or an often disliked custom ride like Colossus at Thorpe, Goudurix at Parc Asterix, or Coaster Express at Parque Warner), and Towers is quite suitably placed to do well under this method.

Not to mention that I think Towers' coaster selection is very easy to take for granted if you're British; I bet foreign enthusiasts planning a Europe or UK trip salivate over Towers' coaster selection!

Sorry to double post, but I had a thought while in the shower this morning about these results and why they might have been so weird when I applied my own formula.

As much as I tried to make high ratings and low ratings carry equal weight in terms of how a coaster selection is rated, I failed to take into account some real-life bias that exists when evaluating coaster selections by doing that. That real-life bias is that enthusiasts naturally gravitate more towards highly rated rides when evaluating a park’s coaster selection, whereas my formula assumed that highly rated and lowly rated would be equally weighted in the minds of enthusiasts, which isn’t really how it works. For instance, this formula assumes that removing Viking Roller Coaster from Energylandia and removing Zadra from Energylandia would have exactly the same level of impact on the rating of its coaster selection. However, I’d wager that most enthusiasts would see Energylandia’s coaster selection quality as being far more impacted by the removal of Zadra than by the removal of Viking Roller Coaster.

As such, I’ll play around with an altered version of the Matt N Formula when I get some time later today, one that weights the score more towards the higher rated rides, and see what I come out with.

That was a very interesting read @Matt N well done! I also think you’re right that’s it’s easy to take Akron’s coaster lineup for granted and we actually forget how good it is

Have to be honest, most of this has gone over my head but that's a very pretty boxplot graph Matt :). Any way you can alter the x-axis so the labels are easier to read though?
I did attempt to do that, but sadly, MatPlotLib didn’t seem to let me do that. So I had to resort to putting them below the boxplot within the post.
can I have a TLDR please for us slightly less mathematically inclined?
Absolutely!

TL;DR: I used 3 different methods to try and calculate Europe’s highest rated coaster selection. One was a calculated average, one was the rating of the middle value, and one was a formula I invented attempting to take into account both the extreme ends of a park’s coaster selection and the overall consistency of quality of it. The exact top 10 varied with each method, but Liseberg, Phantasialand and Alton Towers emerged as the top 3 regardless of method used, so they are quite comfortably my answer to the question based on the data used and analysis performed.

Hope that helps!

Sorry to double post, but I played around with altering the Matt N formula.

I tried doing three alterations.

Altered Matt N Formula 1
The first altered Matt N formula I tried was as follows:
Altered Matt N Formula 1: Score = (Highest rating + upper quartile)^2 + (Lowest rating + lower quartile)

I squared the bracket containing highest rating + upper quartile in an attempt to give the higher ranked coasters slightly more weight.

And the results were...
RankingParkAltered Matt N Formula ScoreOriginal Matt N Formula ScoreRank with Original FormulaChange
1Phantasialand3646.7191.72+1
2Liseberg3612.7188.23+1
3Alton Towers3524.5196.91-2
4Grona Lund3049.4183.240
5Efteling2747.1164.550
6Europa Park2297.3141.460
7Toverland2279.2128.870
8Tripsdrill2029120.280
9Djurs Sommerland1933.9112.890
10Parque de Atracciones1620.7110.3100
Altered Matt N Formula 2
And the second formula I tried was:
Altered Matt N Formula 2: Score = (Highest rating^2 + upper quartile) + (Lowest rating + lower quartile)

I squared the highest rating to try and make that have more of an impact, and the result was as follows:
RankingParkAltered Matt N Formula ScoreOriginal Matt N Formula ScoreRank with Original FormulaChange
1Alton Towers1085.2196.910
2Phantasialand1060.5191.720
3Liseberg1033.3188.230
4Grona Lund975.2183.240
5Efteling792.4164.550
6Europa Park767.8141.460
7Toverland677.6128.870
8Djurs Sommerland620.3112.89+1
9Tripsdrill609.3120.28-1
10PortAventura577.494.511+1
As you can see, doing those first two formulas changed... very little. I then decided to consult a final alteration...
Altered Matt N Formula 3: Score = (Highest rating + Upper quartile)/2

For the final formula, I eliminated the lower ends of the coaster selection entirely, focusing only on the highest rating and the upper quartile. I calculated the mean of these two values so as to gauge an average quality of a park's "top" coasters. The results were as follows:
1Liseberg9.6188.23+2
2Walibi Holland9.582.315+13
3Phantasialand9.5191.72-1
4Energylandia9.361.119+15
5Plopsaland de Panne957.320+15
6Alton Towers9196.91-5
7Toverland8.9128.870
8Hansa Park8.987.613+5
9Parque Warner8.849.626+17
10Djurs Sommerland8.6112.89-1
Interesting to see how things change quite a bit when the lower coasters are removed from the equation... Phantasialand and Liseberg remain in the top 3, but for the first time, Alton Towers has been ousted from the top 3, landing at #6 when only their top coasters are concerned.

I think those 3 variations prove the old adage that you can use stats to prove pretty much anything you want. In this case the results change depending on exactly how you want to define the best coaster selection. Is it the park that has the most "good" coasters, the park that has the least "bad" coasters, the park that has the top-rated coasters or something else again?

I think those 3 variations prove the old adage that you can use stats to prove pretty much anything you want. In this case the results change depending on exactly how you want to define the best coaster selection. Is it the park that has the most "good" coasters, the park that has the least "bad" coasters, the park that has the top-rated coasters or something else again?
I think I was initially trying to work out the overall strongest coaster selection (so essentially, which coaster selection is the most consistently strong), but I guess I could also extend “strongest coaster selection” to be “which park’s top-rated few coasters are the highest-rated?”.

I guess you could say that my initial formula works for “consistently strong” and the final iteration of the formula works for “strongest top few”.

Right; apologies for the double post, but I decided to have another go at Part 1. But this time, I did what some people suggested and calculated the mean and median using only the park's 3 top-rated coasters. When I did this, the results were as follows (to 1dp):
Mean
ParkMean Rating of Top 3 (1dp)
Energylandia9.6
Phantasialand9.5
Liseberg9.4
Walibi Holland9.3
Alton Towers8.8
Europa Park8.8
Plopsaland8.6
Parque Warner8.6
Toverland8.5
Heide Park8.4
Median
ParkMedian Rating of Top 3 (1dp)
Energylandia9.8
Phantasialand9.6
Mirabilandia9.6
Liseberg9.4
Walibi Holland9.3
Toverland8.9
Hansa Park8.7
Europa Park8.7
Tripsdrill8.6
Parque Warner8.6
I hope you find that interesting! I promise that is the last time I will faff around with part 1... part 2 will be coming soon!

Do you guys have any questions you'd like me to try and answer using this dataset? I've got a couple in mind of my own, but I'm happy to take suggestions!

So we're saying Energylandia has the best coaster line up?

Interesting. Zadra and Hyperion are both very good.

Perhaps you should see how the middle 3 coasters or the bottom 3 coasters ranked.

This new metric will heavily favour any park with at least 3 very highly ranked coasters (regardless of how good the rest of them are), rather than a park with consistently good scores across most of the rides. That would certainly explain why Energylandia has jumped up to the top - it's no longer being held back by the vast swathes of mediocrity cluttering up the park!

I'm constantly surprised by how well Towers does on most of these metrics, until I go back and look at the scores for the individual coasters which are generally quite a bit higher than my own scores for the rides at Towers.

So we're saying Energylandia has the best coaster line up?

Interesting. Zadra and Hyperion are both very good.
Using only the park's top 3 rated coasters (Zadra, Hyperion and Abyssus, in case you were wondering); that's what my data says, yes.

However, if the park's other coasters are taken into account, the story is different; when using the average of the highest rating and upper quartile, it drops to 4th behind Liseberg, Phantasialand and Walibi Holland, while if you take into account the park's whole scoreable selection, it drops out of the top 10 entirely, and some combination of Phantasialand, Liseberg and Alton Towers makes up the top 3.

Also, this is by no means "the correct answer". This is merely what my data came out with.

This new metric will heavily favour any park with at least 3 very highly ranked coasters (regardless of how good the rest of them are), rather than a park with consistently good scores across most of the rides. That would certainly explain why Energylandia has jumped up to the top - it's no longer being held back by the vast swathes of mediocrity cluttering up the park!

I'm constantly surprised by how well Towers does on most of these metrics, until I go back and look at the scores for the individual coasters which are generally quite a bit higher than my own scores for the rides at Towers.
I think it depends wholly upon what metric you use to define "strongest coaster selection". This new metric only really focuses on a park's top 3, as some members on another site I showed this analysis on suggested to me that only a park's top 3 was really on their radar when considering a coaster selection's quality, whereas some of the ones I did earlier on in this topic (for instance, the mean & median of the entire scoreable selection and my original formula) were focused more on consistent strength, meaning that they punished parks that installed filler or had any vaguely lowly-rated coasters.

For instance, Energylandia didn't do overly well in any of the metrics focusing on the entire coaster selection, whereas it hit the top 5 when only the upper quartile and top rating were considered and shot to #1 when only the top 3 were considered, which would suggest that the park has phenomenal highs compared to others in Europe, but isn't quite as highly rated across the board.

As for your other example of Alton Towers, on the other hand; Towers fared very well when the strength of the entire coaster selection was considered and did somewhat less well when only the top few were considered. Towers was consistently in the top 3 for all the metrics considering the entire scoreable selection, but dropped to #6 when only the upper quartile and top rating were considered, dropped to #5 when the mean of its top 3 was calculated, and it dropped out of the top 10 entirely when the median of its top 3 was calculated, which would suggest that Towers' selection is pretty consistently rated compared to others in Europe, but its highs aren't as great as those of some other European theme parks.
EDIT: Sorry for double posting!

Right; sorry to triple post, but I think it's about time I did Part 2 of this! And for Part 2, I'll be exploring...
What coaster selections in Europe are the most and least consistent?

Now I should clarify that this is not wishing to determine consistent strength, but merely consistency on its own, which can work both ways. So, let's dive straight in!

To work this out, I used two different types of range.

The first measure I used was the range between the highest and lowest ratings, which is a very simple measure where you merely subtract the lowest value from the highest value (Range = Highest Rating - Lowest Rating). The top 5 most and least consistent using that method were as follows:
Top 5 Most Consistent (Using Range)
RankingParkRangeMean Rating (out of 10) (to 1dp)Number of Scoreable Coasters
1Freizeit-Land Geiselwind2.51.45
2Efteling3.96.58
3Grona Lund46.96
4Flamingo Land4.43.15
5Skyline Park4.745
Top 5 Least Consistent (Using Range)
RankingParkRangeMean Rating (out of 10)Number of Scoreable Coasters
1Energylandia105.711
2Walibi Holland9.86.26
3Walibi Belgium9.44.99
4Mirabilandia94.28
5Plopsaland8.957

The other measure I used was the interquartile range between the quartiles (IQR = Upper Quartile - Lower Quartile), which should provide a better gauge of the selection's general consistency and not be too swayed by one particularly highly or lowly rated ride. The top 5 most and least consistent using IQR were as follows:
Top 5 Most Consistent (Using IQR)
RankingParkInterquartile RangeMean Rating (out of 10)Number of Scoreable Coasters
1Blackpool14.810
2Freizeit-Land Geiselwind1.11.45
3Alton Towers1.37.39
4Liseberg1.47.65
5Grona Lund1.76.96
Top 5 Least Consistent (Using IQR)
RankingParkInterquartile RangeMean Rating (out of 10)Number of Scoreable Coasters
1Walibi Rhone-Alpes6.34.55
2Parque Warner5.95.56
3Plopsaland5.857
4Movie Park Germany5.83.88
5Parc Asterix5.755

Finally, let me once again reference the boxplot from Part 1, for a visual aid to show this off:
Coaster-Lineups-Boxplot.png

Let me once again remind you of the order the parks are in, from left to right:
  1. Alton Towers
  2. Thorpe Park
  3. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
  4. Phantasialand
  5. Liseberg
  6. Walibi Holland
  7. Energylandia
  8. Plopsaland de Panne
  9. Walibi Belgium
  10. Europa Park
  11. PortAventura
  12. Parque Warner Madrid
  13. Parque de Atracciones de Madrid
  14. Efteling
  15. Bobbejaanland
  16. Toverland
  17. Movie Park Germany
  18. Heide Park
  19. Hansa Park
  20. Flamingo Land
  21. Tripsdrill
  22. Parc Asterix
  23. Gardaland
  24. Mirabilandia
  25. Djurs Sommerland
  26. Farup Sommerland
  27. TusenFryd
  28. Linnanmaki
  29. Bellewaerde
  30. Nigloland
  31. Skyline Park
  32. PowerPark
  33. Grona Lund
  34. Wiener Prater
  35. Walibi Rhone-Alpes
  36. Freizeit-Land Geiselwind
In terms of how you can visualise the ranges; you can see the range as the difference between the extreme ends of the plot, and the IQR can be visualised as the difference between the ends of the coloured rectangle in the middle.

So, what have we learned from this part of the investigation?

Firstly, I think I can declare Freizeit-Land Geiselwind the winner for consistency in Europe; it scored very highly on consistency using both measures! Even if the selection isn't the most highly rated, it's certainly consistent if nothing else!

Secondly, I found it odd how besides Geiselwind, the results varied drastically dependant on the measure applied. Some parks did appear again besides Geiselwind (for instance, Grona Lund was quite consistently strong by both measures), but many others only appeared in the top 5 for one or the other.

But overall, I think my data has concluded that Freizeit-Land Geiselwind is the winner for most consistent in Europe. And for least consistent, I think I can conclude that Plopsaland de Panne actually wins that one, as it is the only park to appear in the top 5 least consistent for both measures.

I hope you enjoyed discovering which coaster selection is Europe's most consistent (according to the data) in part 2! Part 3 (which I'm thinking may be the final part) will be coming soon...