• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

A quantitative, multi-part analysis of Europe’s major coaster selections (Part 3: "QuantOverQual" and "QualOverQuant")

EDIT: Apologies for the slightly weird title... I couldn't think of a more succinct way to sum up the question!
Sorry to quadruple post, but I think it's time I did the 3rd and final part of this... today, I'll be investigating: Which coaster selections emphasise quantity over quality and which coaster selections emphasise quality over quantity?

Now I'll digress that this one is possibly harder to measure statistically, but it was one I was interested to find out, so I still decided to give it a go!

I used 3 different measures to try and work this out.

The first measure I used was to work out the median:mean ratio, as it always appeared to me as though a higher median denoted a more consistently strong selection (thus more of a quality focus), while a higher mean denoted a less consistently strong selection (thus more of a quantity focus). To work this out, I simply did median/mean, and the results were as follows (to 2sf)...
Top 5 "Quantity over Quality" (Median/Mean)
RankingParkNumber of Scoreable CoastersMedian/Mean (2sf)
1Movie Park Germany80.73
2Freizeit-Land Geiselwind50.74
3Walibi Rhone-Alpes50.74
4Mirabilandia80.76
5Plopsaland70.76
Top 5 "Quality over Quantity" (Median/Mean)
RankingParkNumber of Scoreable CoastersMedian/Mean (2sf)
1Flamingo Land51.4
2Thorpe Park71.2
3Parque Warner61.2
4Liseberg51.2
5Heide Park81.2

The second measure I used was to work out the mean:count ratio, because a park having a high or low mean relative to their coaster count would surely denote whether their coaster selection is quantity over quality or quality over quantity, no? One slight flaw with this method is that any theme park with more than 10 scoreable roller coasters automatically gravitates towards "quantity over quality" by default because you cannot have a mean above 10, although one could argue that having a coaster count of more than 10 makes you quantity-focused to a certain extent anyway...

To work this out, I did mean/count, and the results were as follows (to 2sf)...
Top 5 "Quantity over Quality" (Mean/Count)
RankingParkNumber of Scoreable CoastersMean/Count (2sf)
1Freizeit-Land Geiselwind50.27
2Wiener Prater100.34
3Movie Park Germany80.48
4Blackpool100.48
5Bobbejaanland80.49
Top 5 "Quality over Quantity" (Mean/Count)
RankingParkNumber of Scoreable CoastersMean/Count (2sf)
1Liseberg51.5
2Grona Lund61.2
3Parque de Atracciones51.1
4Toverland61.0
5Walibi Holland61.0

The final measure I used was to repeat the same process as above, but using the median instead of the mean.

To work this out, I did median/count, and the results were as follows (to 2sf)...
Top 5 "Quantity over Quality" (Median/Count)
RankingParkNumber of Scoreable CoastersMedian/Count (2sf)
1Freizeit-Land Geiselwind50.20
2Wiener Prater100.35
3Movie Park Germany80.35
4Mirabilandia80.40
5Gardaland80.43
Top 5 "Quality over Quantity" (Median/Count)
RankingParkNumber of Scoreable CoastersMedian/Count (2sf)
1Liseberg51.8
2Walibi Holland61.2
3Grona Lund61.2
4Parque Warner61.1
5Parque de Atracciones51.1

So, what did we learn from today's analysis?

In terms of which park emphasises quantity over quality most; I think we can conclude that Freizeit-Land Geiselwind is the European winner for this, winning 2 out of 3 measures and coming 2nd in the only one it didn't win. And it won the measures it did win by some distance!

In terms of which park emphasises quality over quantity most; I think we can conclude that Liseberg is the European winner for this, winning 2 out of 3 measures and coming 4th in the only one it didn't win. And as with Geiselwind, it won the measures it did win by some distance!

That brings us to the end of our analysis of European coaster selections. I hope you've enjoyed my little look at the continent's coaster selections using data analysis techniques; I know I've certainly found crunching the numbers interesting! Although if you'd like me to ask any more questions about this dataset, then feel free to give me a suggestion and I'll happily do it for you!

This won't be the last time you see me do one of these, though... I'm hoping to dive into North America's major coaster selections next, so keep your eyes peeled for that at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Last edited: