• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Air or Galactica?

Air or Galactica?

• Total voters
Thanks for sharing, I found this the other day trying to fill the end of season void and it's a great little documentary.

I didn't realise that much of the planned landscaping and theming for Air never materialised due to budget and time constraints. I would love to see the ride exactly as John originally envisioned it. Had that been done, I'm sure we wouldn't have had the VR debacle and Galactica retheme.
I do feel the Galactica retheme was only done as a quick fix up to find some USP after the Smiler crash in which Towers saw it's budget cut and whatever was planned for the 2016 was cancelled. Had that never happened we still might have Air though I doubt anything would have changed.

In an ideal world with this year being the ride's 20th anniversary, it would have seen its full theming added to finally 'complete' the ride.

I do feel the Galactica retheme was only done as a quick fix up to find some USP after the Smiler crash in which Towers saw it's budget cut and whatever was planned for the 2016 was cancelled. Had that never happened we still might have Air though I doubt anything would have changed.

In an ideal world with this year being the ride's 20th anniversary, it would have seen its full theming added to finally 'complete' the ride.
Dammit mate, you just motivated me to do some more concept art today XD. Which parts of the ride would you like to see done?

I'm already planning on doing the bridge area.

Dammit mate, you just motivated me to do some more concept art today XD. Which parts of the ride would you like to see done?

I'm already planning on doing the bridge area.
Well, I was thinking of something I mentioned in my timeline in which the Air shop is transformed from a sleek looking building to like an ancient Greek temple E.G the pillars on the outside are reskinned to look like ancient pillars.

But another idea could be either the station looking like a hidden cave or the break run being like the entrance of a cave maybe?

I don't know why, an Oasis or ancient temple theme for Air does seem to fit it quite well, maybe as a great contrast to the hellscape of Nemesis and FV next door.

Well, I was thinking of something I mentioned in my timeline in which the Air shop is transformed from a sleek looking building to like an ancient Greek temple E.G the pillars on the outside are reskinned to look like ancient pillars.

But another idea could be either the station looking like a hidden cave or the break run being like the entrance of a cave maybe?

I don't know why, an Oasis or ancient temple theme for Air does seem to fit it quite well, maybe as a great contrast to the hellscape of Nemesis and FV next door.
I meant if Air was to maintain its original style. Not the oasis sorry.

I'm back!! I'm incredibly sorry all for the long wait!! Life's been very busy for me, but I've finally done some more 'what if' concept art of air!!! Hope your all enjoy.

This is of air brake run. Ive designed a simple shelter for it, as it is known that you can sometimes be waiting there for a while, so some shelter from the blistering sun or the rain would be very welcomed! I've removed the walls on the right to allow some natural lighting in there, and there are wall-lights on the side emmitibg a blue aurora.

If you'd like to know what that small object is on the top of it, it's a radar, but I tried to approach it in a more futuristic manner while having some elements of FB, such as the antenna resembling the one above Nemesis' entrance structure.

If you have any criticism, let me know below :)

20230509_230300.jpg

If anyone follows Virtual Towers Online (go check them out, their work is great) recently they held a stream of the work they've done on their Virtual Recreation of Alton towers, and at 1:28:01 they showed off what they did to air. They chose not to have theirs theme to galactica, but instead of what air could've looked like as the concept art showed! I must say for myself, it looks great, especially the waterfalls and the lake at the finale. I highly recommend checking the stream out.

From: https://www.youtube.com/live/V5rz79yk_PE?si=bosZzjUQtqkPgDMH

If anyone follows Virtual Towers Online (go check them out, their work is great) recently they held a stream of the work they've done on their Virtual Recreation of Alton towers, and at 1:28:01 they showed off what they did to air. They chose not to have theirs theme to galactica, but instead of what air could've looked like as the concept art showed! I must say for myself, it looks great, especially the waterfalls and the lake at the finale. I highly recommend checking the stream out.

From: https://www.youtube.com/live/V5rz79yk_PE?si=bosZzjUQtqkPgDMH

Looks majestic! Kinda wish we had that theming for Air now, although with the cost of the ride being more than planned plus budget cuts (If I'm correct) due to being purchased by another company and to compensate for the extra funding needed for Air's mechanical features and track they slashed it from the theming. Which gave us the Air we all knew and loved...

Then Galactica came and tried to replace it. To only be forgotten and 'die' off after losing the VR feature which had it... Well, Galactica. Why was VR on rollercoasters a fad again?