• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Air or Galactica?

Air or Galactica?

• Total voters
Galactica is better, for having better audio and the portal.

VR hasn't really worked on either VR coaster I've done. Galactica when it worked was okay at best and Valerian on Can Can was crap and laggy (except the cool walking bit at the start, that ran well)

Basically, never. 😛
friends telling GIF

;)

I've already posted this on another thread, but it isn't that popular, so I decided to add it on here as well if anyone was interested, regarding to Airs future.

Anyhow, I here because I've just finished some air concept art of my own. I've had a lot of time to do this since I caught the 'you know what' bug. This is what I'd do if Galactica was to be Rethemed back to air. I haven't done all the Sketches yet, but here are the completed ones. Each drawing has a number labeled by them. I'll describe what they are for you all. Anywho, here they are, hope you guys like them

Updated Height Restriction sign, is to be based by the main entrance.

Main entrance area, logo is kept the same, but signs are altered to suit with the futuristic design more, same with the bars holding them. Altered rockwork by the Pram area to be more realistic.

Updated sign, indicating where the entrance to the ride is, to be located where the old one was by the Air Shop, now roller Coaster restaurant.

Rethemed Galactica Portal, now with themed rockwork on its base, that along with a pond, a waterfall, and a mini Geyser fountain. Main portal is painted into Airs style and is partly demolished to create an abandoned portal look as the Ride passes through it.

Rebuilt air shop, Galacticas current Gift shop is reduced with the Ride photo purchase shrunk for space. Reintroducing the observation view, but still not as big as the original one as the shop still takes space at the end of it. New facade will have a curved face, with new windows, that reminiscent of Air Shops old windows, but with slanted panels, again, for a futuristic look.

New Info Sign in the queue, showing the rides history, such as its opening, its retheme into Galactica, and its supposedly present state. Also a little Easter egg of Galacticas logo carved into the rock structure.

Pre Lift Hill Tunnel, surprised? Probably not. Now overhauled, with lighting and some inspiration taken from the original concept art of the tunnel. (E.g. the fan on the floor and the lights.) The wall outside of the station were the trains first enter now spells on the left side 'now' and the right one saying 'fly', in order to create the famous "Now Fly" quote on the wall before you ascend up the lifthill

Hope you guys enjoyed these ideas. New ideas will hopefully be here soon on my next post here.

Attachments

• 20220713_200243.jpg
    20220713_200243.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220713_200442.jpg
    20220713_200442.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 44
I've already posted this on another thread, but it isn't that popular, so I decided to add it on here as well if anyone was interested, regarding to Airs future.

Anyhow, I here because I've just finished some air concept art of my own. I've had a lot of time to do this since I caught the 'you know what' bug. This is what I'd do if Galactica was to be Rethemed back to air. I haven't done all the Sketches yet, but here are the completed ones. Each drawing has a number labeled by them. I'll describe what they are for you all. Anywho, here they are, hope you guys like them

Updated Height Restriction sign, is to be based by the main entrance.

Main entrance area, logo is kept the same, but signs are altered to suit with the futuristic design more, same with the bars holding them. Altered rockwork by the Pram area to be more realistic.

Updated sign, indicating where the entrance to the ride is, to be located where the old one was by the Air Shop, now roller Coaster restaurant.

Rethemed Galactica Portal, now with themed rockwork on its base, that along with a pond, a waterfall, and a mini Geyser fountain. Main portal is painted into Airs style and is partly demolished to create an abandoned portal look as the Ride passes through it.

Rebuilt air shop, Galacticas current Gift shop is reduced with the Ride photo purchase shrunk for space. Reintroducing the observation view, but still not as big as the original one as the shop still takes space at the end of it. New facade will have a curved face, with new windows, that reminiscent of Air Shops old windows, but with slanted panels, again, for a futuristic look.

New Info Sign in the queue, showing the rides history, such as its opening, its retheme into Galactica, and its supposedly present state. Also a little Easter egg of Galacticas logo carved into the rock structure.

Pre Lift Hill Tunnel, surprised? Probably not. Now overhauled, with lighting and some inspiration taken from the original concept art of the tunnel. (E.g. the fan on the floor and the lights.) The wall outside of the station were the trains first enter now spells on the left side 'now' and the right one saying 'fly', in order to create the famous "Now Fly" quote on the wall before you ascend up the lifthill

Hope you guys enjoyed these ideas. New ideas will hopefully be here soon on my next post here.
This looks great! Much more preferable than having Galactica in its current state.

Last edited:
This looks great! Much more preferable than having Galactica in is current state.
Glad you like it!! Even managed to do some more over the months.

First draft is the final helix before you turn into the brakes.

Seconds sketch is in the queue right after you enter the main entrance and just before you turn left and start to ascend uphill.

Attachments

• 20221111_010032.jpg
    20221111_010032.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221111_010103.jpg
    20221111_010103.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 33
Glad you like it!! Even managed to do some more over the months.

First draft is the final helix before you turn into the brakes.

Seconds sketch is in the queue right after you enter the main entrance and just before you turn left and start to ascend uphill.
The wee lake by the final helix is what I used for my alternate Alton Towers timeline, though only wee difference is the supporters are dark blue but still...wouldn't mind if I used them? :p

Not sure if this has been uploaded here already, but it's a must watch! Great little Documentry with John himself, while encapsulating Airs style and theme.

Thanks for sharing, I found this the other day trying to fill the end of season void and it's a great little documentary.

I didn't realise that much of the planned landscaping and theming for Air never materialised due to budget and time constraints. I would love to see the ride exactly as John originally envisioned it. Had that been done, I'm sure we wouldn't have had the VR debacle and Galactica retheme.