• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

e7f9d40dca48464b9ec7d74144ce7e8c.jpg

You’d think Merlin would get signs right from day 1, but…Oh, who am I kidding? I’m not even surprised at this point.

There is nothing wrong with that sign, sorry!
"ary" or "ery"...both absolutely correct.
Looked it up some days ago.
A place that sells confections.
Do keep up.
Yeah it's true, confectionary is defined on the Collins dictionary as "a place where confections are kept or made".

Given what we know of Merlin's track record in this area though, it wouldn't be unreasonable to suppose that someone didn't know the difference and just got lucky.

After my recent weekend at Alton Towers, I have a couple to point out.

The first is this one I found on Oblivion, which divided opinion amongst me and my dad:
085CDDCD-ABEF-4A13-951B-A1189C45289E.jpeg
I thought this one was incorrect; in my view, I thought it should have said “rocketing at 110kph” rather than “rocketing a 110kph” like it does. However, my dad seemed to think that it was correct; he saw it as saying “rocketing a hundred and ten kilometres per hour”, so he thought it was right.

Am I correct in saying that that sign has a typo in it? Or is my dad correct, and I’m being overly pedantic?

I also noticed a couple of typos in this page of the Alton Manor photo book:
8F742994-8D9C-4C03-9F5C-DD63B01384EC.jpeg
I don’t know if I’m being massively pedantic here, but I personally noticed:
  • “Long ago, in the Alton Towers lived the Alton family”, should have an extra comma; I feel like it should be “Long ago, in the Alton Towers, lived the Alton family”.
  • “The Alton’s believed children should be seen and not heard” should be “The Altons believed children should be seen and not heard”; I think I’m correct in saying that the apostrophe would only be used if referring to something belonging to someone called Alton.
  • Shouldn’t “1911, it was a stormy night” be something along the lines of “In 1911, it was a stormy night” or “It was a stormy night in 1911”? The current form of the sentence sounds a bit weird to me, although that could be me being massively pedantic, as I say.

The first is this one I found on Oblivion, which divided opinion amongst me and my dad:
I thought this one was incorrect; in my view, I thought it should have said “rocketing at 110kph” rather than “rocketing a 110kph” like it does. However, my dad seemed to think that it was correct; he saw it as saying “rocketing a hundred and ten kilometres per hour”, so he thought it was right.

Am I correct in saying that that sign has a typo in it? Or is my dad correct, and I’m being overly pedantic?

• “Long ago, in the Alton Towers lived the Alton family”, should have an extra comma; I feel like it should be “Long ago, in the Alton Towers, lived the Alton family”.
  • “The Alton’s believed children should be seen and not heard” should be “The Altons believed children should be seen and not heard”; I think I’m correct in saying that the apostrophe would only be used if referring to something belonging to someone called Alton.
  • Shouldn’t “1911, it was a stormy night” be something along the lines of “In 1911, it was a stormy night” or “It was a stormy night in 1911”? The current form of the sentence sounds a bit weird to me, although that could be me being massively pedantic, as I say.
Also, it's not 1911, but 1891 when the events of Alton Manor occur.

The Oblivion one is definitely a spelling mistake, the context is wrong for them to use 'a'... though I can see where your dad is coming from. If they were writing a poem, 'a' could be correct, but this is an info sign.

I think the comma situation is a very grey area. Arguably, it's more of a style issue than anything else - I expect people could argue both ways. The thing that sticks out more is "the Alton Towers". The definite article here seems wrong; there is a grammatical construct that could allow that to be right, but it seems unlikely in that situation. Also, unless I'm missing something, surely that should be Alton Manor.

The Alton's is wrong for exactly the reason you said. But the last one could be a dramatic flourish and therefore correct.

They didn't live in Alton Towers, they lived in Alton Manor. Different dwellings.

And laugher should be laughter.

The getting the date wrong thing is annoying, in some places is 1891, some 1892 and here 1911. Really bungled and not hard to get right.

The gravestone has the dates '1804-1882'.
Surely the spelling would be standardised as 'Plague' by then?