• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

It appears that anyone wishing to avail themselves of the Thorpe Park Black Friday offer will need a Time Machine.

IMG_5704.jpeg
Should say 3rd December I'd assume. It;'s misleading even without that mistake though, somone could book a break then find it is opening after their visit when the date is announced.

Taken from a photo uploaded to a recent Trip Advisor review.

You’d hope that folks working in the complaints team would know when to use apologies vs apologise. Sadly not.

IMG_5910.jpeg
I don't know if I'm being massively, massively pedantic, but I also see multiple other grammar errors and generally weird phrasing in there. I can see:
  • "Dear guest" (Possibly a bit pedantic, but wouldn't this traditionally be "Dear Guest"?)
  • "Thank your" (This should be "Thank you".)
  • "Chessington World of Adventure Resorts" (Shouldn't it be "Chessington World of Adventures Resort"?)
  • "I hope this message finds you well" (I guess this isn't technically a grammatical error, but it just sounds a bit strange to me.)
  • The two uses of "apologies" that you already highlighted (These should be "apologise" in the given context.)
  • The whole last paragraph doesn't quite seem to make grammatical sense to me. At very least, it feels like an "and" is missing between "attractions" and "that", as the point about "joyful and magical experience" is a separate point to "closure of several rides and attractions". I would personally have written that whole paragraph a bit differently, though.

Wouldn't the word "memorable" have fitted in there just as well and served the same purpose?

I know it's a bit less wacky, but most people know what it means. It is also an actual word in the dictionary... "memorific" does not seem to appear in the dictionary at all, with the Cambridge English Dictionary's closest words being "memorise" and "mnemonic". Unlike "fantabulous", it would seem that Alton Towers have invented this particular word!

Wouldn't the word "memorable" have fitted in there just as well and served the same purpose?

I know it's a bit less wacky, but most people know what it means. It is also an actual word in the dictionary... "memorific" does not seem to appear in the dictionary at all, with the Cambridge English Dictionary's closest words being "memorise" and "mnemonic". Unlike "fantabulous", it would seem that Alton Towers have invented this particular word!
Alton Towers make up lots of words, that's been their brand for the best part of 10 years now.

I'm used to seeing people using cue instead of queue, not the other way round. That said, it is in a queue (line) so I guess you could argue it's not wrong?

I've seen queue instead of cue quite a bit. There are a lot of those sort of words people struggle with I think, but a company really should be proof-reading better than this thread makes out.

The classic of course that social media posters used to get wrong was bone apple teeth when posting pictures of food, where autocorrect tried to sort out them not being able to spell bon appétit.