• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. As much as I love Alton Towers, I have noticed over the years that they often have a tendency to make typos or errors in some of their official communications (e.g. maps, websites etc.). I’m not criticising them, by any means, as we all make silly little typos and mistakes here and there (I know I’ve certainly made plenty of typos!), but I just made this thread to ask; what are some of the funniest or weirdest Alton Towers typos you’ve seen?

One funny one that comes to mind for me is one that was on the park map a few years back regarding Nemesis:
Get ready to experience a g-force higher than a rocket lunch!

And I just noticed this rather confusing restriction on Spinball’s page on the app, that would seem to eliminate everyone under about 6’5” from riding Spinball unaccompanied:
Guests under 1.95m must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or over

But what are some Alton Towers typos that have stuck in your head over the years? As I say, I’m not criticising the park by any means, as I’m certainly guilty of making a fair few typos myself!

From the Chessington app August 2019
"If your chest is greater than 51cm then you cannot ride Monkey Swinger". I'm sure that's supposed to be 51 inches.
Come to think of it, Rita makes the same mistake:
Rita’s restrictions page on the app said:
The maximum chest size is 48cm.
I’m pretty skinny, and even I have a larger chest size than 48cm. I’ve ridden Rita a fair number of times now with ease, so I assume it’s a typo.

Restrictions are a common cause of typos, it would seem! In fairness, it’s very easy to confuse cm and inches; I often do!
EDIT: I think Alton often seem to confuse cm with inches when it comes to chest restrictions as a general rule, because Smiler’s is listed as 56cm, Nemesis’ is listed as 52cm, Galactica’s is listed as 48cm and Oblivion’s is listed as 52cm!

It would be helpful if the park gave all restrictions in the same measurement system (preferably metric as the height limits are already metric)

I would guess this is because in general clothes sizes are in inches, so people are more likely to know their rough chest size in inches. But when children are measured at the doctors its probably done in metres so people are more likely to know childrens height in metres.

I’ve just thought of a couple more.

I remember once seeing on the Rollercoaster Restaurant menu that their burgers were:
served in brioche bums

And I also remember this one from the CBeebies Land map:
for your own piece of mind

And there was also the sign on the entrance a few years back:
Please get you bags ready for checking at the turnstiles

Not to mention this one from the Wicker Man promotional campaign:
technology has taken the reigns

EDIT: Just remembered another one; when the park was promoting those bricks on Towers Street in 2018, they had a sign up in Towers Trading saying
WHY NOT MAKE YOU’RE MARK ON THE PARK?
in big, capital letters.

Last edited:
I may be being thick here (again), but what is wrong with " Please get your bags ready for checking at the turnstiles."?

I may be being thick here (again), but what is wrong with " Please get your bags ready for checking at the turnstiles."?
Look closely… they forgot the “r” at the end of your. In fairness, that’s just me being unfairly pedantic. In fact, the entire thread is probably me being unfairly pedantic, so sorry for that!

There’s nothing at all wrong with the phrase you posted!

It's as if they don't have anyone proof reading. I remember something on an "a million apologies" sign that was Scarefest related but I can't think what it was.

Not Alton Towers, but over at Chessington their entrances have a two-way traffic warning sign... except they depict the continental flow of traffic. These signs are still in place now even though I flagged it to Chessington years ago.

cwoa_entrance.jpg

It's as if they don't have anyone proof reading. I remember something on an "a million apologies" sign that was Scarefest related but I can't think what it was.
In fairness, we all make mistakes! I’ve certainly made my fair share of typos over the years!

Of course we can all make mistakes. That's why somebody else should review it before it gets commissioned.

It's a waste of money and I would imagine somewhat embarassing to have the public point out school boy errors in your work.

Of course we can all make mistakes. That's why somebody else should review it before it gets commissioned.

It's a waste of money and I would imagine somewhat embarassing to have the public point out school boy errors in your work.
Have you been to The World of David Walliams yet? If the people with the purse strings aren’t embarrassed by that mess of poorly repainted facades I don’t think they’ll be embarrassed by a typo.

I’ve just thought of a couple more.

I remember once seeing on the Rollercoaster Restaurant menu that their burgers were:

And I also remember this one from the CBeebies Land map:

And there was also the sign on the entrance a few years back:

Not to mention this one from the Wicker Man promotional campaign:

EDIT: Just remembered another one; when the park was promoting those bricks on Towers Street in 2018, they had a sign up in Towers Trading saying in big, capital letters.

I'm a proofreader by profession and those are all unforgivable. But the first one is without a doubt the funniest!