• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Altons major coasters - How long to they have left?

Max

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Hex - The Legend Of The Towers
Bringing back a popular topic from TTF. Seeing as the majority of Altons major coasters are either approaching, or already are over ten years old, it begs the question - How long do they have left?

Oblivion will go first, The thrill will dissapear as more technologically advanced coasters come out of the shadows. :-[

Sonic will probably be gone first, even if it has been relocated to Wardley knows where first or left to spend a life in Adventure Land.

I can see Rita following it out, and then probably [but hopefully not in my lifetime] Air for a large expansion out onto the car park. That's if they don't use that spot for SW8.

Rita will be the first to go I think. Because it was a quick fix, while coasters like Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and maybe Th13teen would be a lot more expensive to demolish and a lot harder to replace. Especially Nemesis and Oblivion because they are build into the ground and had landscapes terraformed so they could go in that place.

So out of the big 5 coasters I think Rita will be first to go. But I think that Sonic Spinball will go before that.

I can see all of them, barring Rita and Spinball, staying for at least a good ten or so years. That said, I can't really think of anything that would fit on Ritas footprint. If they had to remove a ride so they could replace it, I'd go with Spinball or possibly Air.

I reckon sonic first to go.... It's just dumped in location, doesn't really theme in with anything else and the whole storybook land / farm needs a rework at some point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree sonic spin ball will be the first major ride to leave the park. The other rides are way more established and popular. Plus sonic was a quick fix in the budget years of the park. Sooner or later some of our favourites will get to old to be sustained but that maybe a long time yet.

I would think Alton would keep their coasters for as long as they are standing, and only remove them if they need the space...

I would think a more logical question to ask would be, what could go there instead that would benifit the park...

They only bulldozed corkscrew to make room for SW6.

Sonic, could be a good option as they could expand the farm into its area.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I cringe at the revival of some of these sort of topics, these and the future of... :p

They won't remove them for years.

Rollercoasters4Life said:
What do people think will happen to Sonic Spinball once the SEGA Licensing ends?

They'll probably just revert it back to Spinball Whizzer.

I can't see the B&Ms going for a good few decades, Rita would go before them and Spinball would go first.

I can't imagine any of the B&Ms going anywhere until they have to. They're certainly not easy to relocate given their locations and settings. If they're difficult to relocate, their value is lessened. If you can't sell them on as coasters, they're worth very little - so why get rid? It doesn't make any sense.

As coaster enthusiasts, I think our 'love' for particular rides dwindles quicker than it does with the general public. Don't forget, every single year a new generation discovers these rides for the first time and feels the 'magic', thrills etc that we have probably all forgotten about a decade ago.

Don't forget, people are still discovering the Pleasure Beach woodies for the first time!

That said, Rita & Spinball could be moved without too much hassle, I'm sure.

Rick said:
I can't imagine any of the B&Ms going anywhere until they have to. They're certainly not easy to relocate given their locations and settings. If they're difficult to relocate, their value is lessened. If you can't sell them on as coasters, they're worth very little - so why get rid? It doesn't make any sense.

As coaster enthusiasts, I think our 'love' for particular rides dwindles quicker than it does with the general public. Don't forget, every single year a new generation discovers these rides for the first time and feels the 'magic', thrills etc that we have probably all forgotten about a decade ago.

Don't forget, people are still discovering the Pleasure Beach woodies for the first time!

That said, Rita & Spinball could be moved without too much hassle, I'm sure.

And most of the GP go to AT maybe once or twice per year, not the numerous time that we all go. They will obviously ride the different coasters very little and so wouldn't really tire of them at all, especially not with new coasters every 5 years anyway.

I doubt any of them will go (with the exception of Spinball and Rita) until they become so old that they're unsafe to operate.

Nemesis-most popular coaster (King Nemesis) and built into the landscape, also said to have brought Alton into the modern era of theme parks.

Oblivion-Also built into the ground, huge engineering achievement and it is unique to Alton.

Air- very popular and a huge technological achievement.

TH13TEEN- (again) big technological achievement, quite popular and appeals to a large age range.

Also, they would all be expensive to remove from the park and not worth it, they still bring in guests and there is plenty of space for development, so Merlin wouldn't remove them because they are profit centred and they wouldn't get any money out of it.

B&M's are built to last, and they have an almost immaculate safety record. I think we can safely say they will be here for years to come :)