• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

American Adventure Park

The indoor dodgems was an indoor Walzer at some point as it was one of my favourite rides there.

I recall both rides but my memory does not allow to say which was first and which was second? I vaguely remember returning to find it was gone and replaced with dodgems so I’ll go with that order.

Thats right the cine was the beige dome
Closed for absolutely years with a sign over the door saying 'Closed for Maintenance'. It was there right up until 2007 and can be seen in some of the post closure Urbex photos I think. Nuts that it sat there unused for so long...

Same for that huge Trading Post building up that end, I reckon that must've sat empty for the whole of the 00s, if not longer.

The dodgems with lasers was definitely the more recent ride. It operated right up until end of the 2004 season, after which point the Spaceport area closed.
And then reappeared in the hospitality tent in 2006.
Cheers Squiggs. A quick Google threw this up:

Closing in 1991/2 could then explain the absence from the 1993 map. Coasterpedia also lists Cyber Storm as opening in 1997, so I’d assume that means Black Hole and Cyber Storm were both the same dodgems. Maybe the lasers were added later in life which could explain the change of name? That or Alton took offence to their indoor ride’s name being used just down the road 😂

There’s also a record on their site for a waltzer on loan to the park from around 1991/2 until 1997, though that’s a new one to me… Given the closing date of G Force and the opening of Black Hole is it possible this sat inside the same building between the two? It’d be the right sort of footprint for the building I’d think?

Just another example of American Adventure being ahead of the curve, renting in waltzers yeeeears before Towers got the idea.
They never changed the exterior signage, whatever happened - I think there might have been some which refered to it as 'Cyber Storm in The Black Hole', but I'm really scraping my memory banks now. Spaceport was always my least favourite area, had all the atmosphere of an industrial estate.

Reactions: Ian
I was in the area today and thought I would go and check out what’s left. A place I haven’t been to in over 20 years probably.

Only really the car park left. Hardly recognisable.

Attachments

• IMG_9394.jpeg
    IMG_9394.jpeg
    417.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9398.jpeg
    IMG_9398.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9399.jpeg
    IMG_9399.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9400.jpeg
    IMG_9400.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9397.jpeg
    IMG_9397.jpeg
    413.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9396.jpeg
    IMG_9396.jpeg
    541.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9395.jpeg
    IMG_9395.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 45
I was in the area today and thought I would go and check out what’s left. A place I haven’t been to in over 20 years probably.

Only really the car park left. Hardly recognisable.
Cheers for these. Will try and get the family to walk round the area with the dog over the school holidays
Same for that huge Trading Post building up that end, I reckon that must've sat empty for the whole of the 00s, if not longer.

That was a massive building which i remember going in, it had a black and white checkered floor. Wish there was more pictures of this out there

Closed for absolutely years with a sign over the door saying 'Closed for Maintenance'. It was there right up until 2007 and can be seen in some of the post closure Urbex photos I think. Nuts that it sat there unused for so long...

And then reappeared in the hospitality tent in 2006.
They never changed the exterior signage, whatever happened - I think there might have been some which refered to it as 'Cyber Storm in The Black Hole', but I'm really scraping my memory banks now. Spaceport was always my least favourite area, had all the atmosphere of an industrial estate.
Is the ‘Trading Post’ the gift shop in Spaceport? That definitely was open when I visited in 2001, as I bought a Coke bottle in there (I have weird memories)

Or are you referring to the huge restaurant building by the lake in Spaceport where the golf challenge used to be, before it got moved to near Buffalo? If so, then yes that building lay empty for a long time, with the exception of a First Aid post and the toilets which I think stayed open until Spaceport ceased to be.

Interestingly, on my first visit to AA as a small child in the mid-90s I remember eating in that restaurant. Yet when I returned to the park in 1999 (and then every year after that until park closure), that building say empty, and even back then I remember thinking how the mighty had fallen.

Is the ‘Trading Post’ the gift shop in Spaceport? That definitely was open when I visited in 2001, as I bought a Coke bottle in there (I have weird memories)

Or are you referring to the huge restaurant building by the lake in Spaceport where the golf challenge used to be, before it got moved to near Buffalo? If so, then yes that building lay empty for a long time, with the exception of a First Aid post and the toilets which I think stayed open until Spaceport ceased to be.

Interestingly, on my first visit to AA as a small child in the mid-90s I remember eating in that restaurant. Yet when I returned to the park in 1999 (and then every year after that until park closure), that building say empty, and even back then I remember thinking how the mighty had fallen.
The latter - glad your memories correspond with my own, the Trading Post being on my 1999 map threw me but I'm sure I can remember it being disused by then.

It was a very prominent building, although perhaps not as prominent as the proper entrance.

My visit in 1999 was just before the main school summer holidays kicked off, so perhaps it did open in peak August. Who knows. I guess it was in a pretty odd location with not much passing trade.

On another note, does anyone know why the Driving School and Starbase Slide never moved from Spaceport when it closed in 2005? Both fitted into the park’s new family demographic. Perhaps they knew the writing was on the wall as early as 2005 but didn’t want to admit it. This would certainly also explain why Helter Skelter didn’t open as part of the so-called re-brand.

My visit in 1999 was just before the main school summer holidays kicked off, so perhaps it did open in peak August. Who knows. I guess it was in a pretty odd location with not much passing trade.

On another note, does anyone know why the Driving School and Starbase Slide never moved from Spaceport when it closed in 2005? Both fitted into the park’s new family demographic. Perhaps they knew the writing was on the wall as early as 2005 but didn’t want to admit it. This would certainly also explain why Helter Skelter didn’t open as part of the so-called re-brand.
It's a good question - worth remembering that the real reason everything closed in 2005 was in the name of cost cutting; both needed a member of staff and perhaps it was felt they didn't really add much value. I remember Roger Lloyd telling me there were plans to bring every part of the park back in to use but who knows how true that was.

Incidentally the Helter Skelter too required investment (a section of the shelf had been allowed to rot), which was the reason it was closed and never reopened.

Just found this park map from may first visit in August 1988 not long after the rapids opened! Thought people would be interested. It was £5.99 to get in and was before the train did a full loop and Spaceport USA opened. I was 8 and was scared by the ferocity of the Runaway Train haha. It felt very busy and didn't feel like there was lots there, but it was more about shops, shows, food and theming then.

IMG_2680.jpeg

IMG_2679.jpeg

IMG_2681.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

“Mason Dixon Flyer (Sponsored by Virgin Airlines)”

Well TIL!

Also, those summer opening hours! Oh to see a return of something like that in major UK parks.

7:30 close for a park that size is really surprising by today’s standards. Towards the end of AA’s life though, they weren’t closing any later than 5pm, even in August.

7:30 close for a park that size is really surprising by today’s standards. Towards the end of AA’s life though, they weren’t closing any later than 5pm, even in August.

Agreed. And it was until 22:30 on Fridays and Saturdays in August...wow.

In 1991 it was good competition for Alton Towers and Drayton Manor reaching 1m visitors, then Tussaud's went investment heavy. It will always be a 'what could have been' if the investment, maintenance and local support was there. Great place with the best frontline staff and atmosphere.

Why were the council so against it? If they were so against it why did they allow the park to be built in the first place? It seems the reason for lack of investment was they couldn't get permission for any new developments. There were plans for a woodie at one point, also I recall hearing Six Flags were at one point interested in the site but didn't like it was a 99 year lease from the council (and I suspect lack of council support for their plans)

I think that the issues with Britannia Park which had been on the site in 1985 and closed after just 12 weeks, really soured the mood amongst locals (whose taxes had presumably funded it) and the local council who, I believe, had actually changed from Conservative to Labour in the mid to late 1980s. The new council had inherited the site and all of its issues from a previous council/ local government.

Thinking back theme parks did open later in the 90s didn’t they? I wonder what’s changed - because to be fair I have been to parks that have tried later opening and it does some that people still start filtering out around 5/6. But then Oakwood was busy until close last week - I guess a nighttime offering makes a difference.

Also why has sponsorship become less fashionable? Love that the Runaway Mine Train was sponsored by Wagon Wheels. I guess companies don’t feel that they’re getting return on their investments anymore.

Thinking back theme parks did open later in the 90s didn’t they? I wonder what’s changed - because to be fair I have been to parks that have tried later opening and it does some that people still start filtering out around 5/6. But then Oakwood was busy until close last week - I guess a nighttime offering makes a difference.

Also why has sponsorship become less fashionable? Love that the Runaway Mine Train was sponsored by Wagon Wheels. I guess companies don’t feel that they’re getting return on their investments anymore.
As a general rule, yes. The earliest that Thorpe Park used to close was 6pm even during term time on weekdays.

As far as I can see, cost cutting is all that changed. I get it up to a point, as 6pm close on a day with only 1,500 guests on park does seem somewhat excessive. But Oakwood have shown that with a decent quality event, people will stay later. There is the slight inconvenience of local residents though, who will complain a lot about the noise of parks stay open late. Complaints from locals was one of American Adventure’s biggest obstacles.

The failure was allowing too much time to pass between the open cast mine operation closing and the leisure operations beginning. Twenty years was long enough that people began to feel entitled to having nothing there, as though it was a site of outstanding beauty. They resented the traffic when it arrived and then opposition to development became a sure-fire vote winner in local elections.

Toxic NIMBYism at its finest.

On the back of the flyer it says although we dont allow pets in the park they do offer a kennels service. Remind me do AT offer this?🤣

Also i was always under the impression that the train ran the other part of the part along the Yankee Clipper and Runaway Train before it when to Spaceport.