• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Any 'runners' out there?

There are also low joint impact options available at the gym, like elliptical machines. WithU (as previously mentioned) is a great way to keep motivated and train well on those machines. Just until the weather gets a bit better, or even as a compliment to your running!
This is going to sound like another excuse (there’s a pattern forming here 😂) but I don’t like gyms. I have one literally across the road from me and only go to swim as the gym itself just doesn’t appeal.

I think that's the thing- it is so easy to come up with an excuse not to do something than do it.

For me, my biggest motivation is that I am trying to get into a bit of shape. I had a torrid summer and I am quite good at resorting to turning to KFC in times of strain... so I have lost that weight and starting to tone ever-so-slightly. Burning 4k-or-so in calories running every week allows me a few drinks and and a treat at the weekend. So, in my mind, if I don't run I will have to stick to the chicken and veggies, instead of a burger and the pub!

It's Wednesday @Alix ... I'm running at 4pm today - when are you going out? (I'm going to totally start harassing you into going running now! Haha)

It's Wednesday @Alix ... I'm running at 4pm today - when are you going out? (I'm going to totally start harassing you into going running now! Haha)
I’ve been already today! I run at lunch time during winter as I don’t fancy becoming the next statistic. Did my usual 5k and bagged some supplies for some upgrades to my ZRX base

Please do keep on my case though - it might be what I need 😁 next run planned for Friday, unless I can cook up good excuse!

I think the difficulty with maintaining routine is one of the reasons I keep failing. I work a 9 day rolling shift pattern some earlies some lates, my daughter does your standard Monday to Friday school hours and my wife books for work sporadically around my hours. There's no way of ensuring regularity to when I can have the time, or will be up to it considering some of the hours I work.

It's all just excuses I suppose, but it really is difficult to make it work.

@pluk I can understand that - I don’t do shifts but still struggle to fit things in around work and my daughter.

Could you perhaps try to set a target of number of runs per week (rather than specific days) and see if you can hit that? I always aim for 3 per week and one long run a fortnight - don’t always manage it but at least I’m aiming for something.

I know someone who does 2 x 5k on a running day rather than 1 x 10 as that’s how she can fit it in. I don’t think I could drag myself out twice in one day but it works for her and means she’s not away from her desk for a long stretch of time.

@pluk I can understand that - I don’t do shifts but still struggle to fit things in around work and my daughter.

Could you perhaps try to set a target of number of runs per week (rather than specific days) and see if you can hit that? I always aim for 3 per week and one long run a fortnight - don’t always manage it but at least I’m aiming for something.

I know someone who does 2 x 5k on a running day rather than 1 x 10 as that’s how she can fit it in. I don’t think I could drag myself out twice in one day but it works for her and means she’s not away from her desk for a long stretch of time.

I do try, but my wife books her work around my shifts so I very frequently I'm fully committed with childcare stuff before and after work. If that goes on for all 6/7 of my shifts I work in a row I feel well out of routine.

I suppose it depends how much I want it. I could get up half hour earlier I suppose, but nah, I don't want it that much and I'm already knackered most of the time!

I struggle with motivation also, for me I need the push of an event to train for.
I haven’t signed up for anything next year so currently find any excuse not to do any training.

I do try, but my wife books her work around my shifts so I very frequently I'm fully committed with childcare stuff before and after work. If that goes on for all 6/7 of my shifts I work in a row I feel well out of routine.

I suppose it depends how much I want it. I could get up half hour earlier I suppose, but nah, I don't want it that much and I'm already knackered most of the time!
One last suggestion - Can you take your daughter out on her bike while you run? I managed it with the chimp a couple of times before she hit 12 and got grumpy.

I struggle with motivation also, for me I need the push of an event to train for.
I haven’t signed up for anything next year so currently find any excuse not to do any training.
I would suggest Towers next year however having seen the route and heard about the chaos I’m not sure it’s a good idea

When you think you have learnt from all the idiotic things you have done in your life - you eat a Tuna wrap and then go for a run 10 mins later. It wasn't pretty 🤒

When you think you have learnt from all the idiotic things you have done in your life - you eat a Tuna wrap and then go for a run 10 mins later. It wasn't pretty 🤒
Oh no!

I am just psyching myself up to go out - haven’t had lunch yet so I’m starving. Feels very cold out there too

Edit to add: I went out, it wasn’t as cold as I thought. Disappointingly what felt like a fast run was just a bog standard run. Hoping to do 10k tomorrow

Last edited:
Minimum 2 hours between eating and running for me, otherwise I get a horrid stitch immediately.

Can't believe I didn't notice this thread earlier also! I run 4-5 miles daily and have done for just over 10 years now. For me it's just a pure habit, and I don't feel good if I don't run nowadays. Exceptions are only torrential rain or something else biblical weather wise. I've even run in other countries (ran in -27C a couple of years ago). Rarely a good excuse for me but that's just ingrained from many years.

Must point out that I don't gym, and the thing that appeals about running to me is that I can do it from my house without needing to pay or travel anywhere. Plus it's somewhat calming mentally to run alone. Hence I've never run an event - can't fathom enjoying running with thousands of other people, and having to pay and travel miles to get to the starting point!

I was quite proud of myself - I got a couple of 6k-ish's in over the festive season (still managed to put on 2kg though!). I got back home at the start of the week and went for my first run back on Friday - I managed to get to 6k but felt absolutely dead. The plan is to do over a half-marathon by the end of the month - anybody feel like joining me [virtually, of course] on this challenge?

I was quite proud of myself - I got a couple of 6k-ish's in over the festive season (still managed to put on 2kg though!). I got back home at the start of the week and went for my first run back on Friday - I managed to get to 6k but felt absolutely dead. The plan is to do over a half-marathon by the end of the month - anybody feel like joining me [virtually, of course] on this challenge?
Well done! I took a break over Xmas - a mixture of a complete lack of motivation, plus a grumpy Chimp who didn’t want to go outside much.

Got back to it on Wednesday and Friday this week, managed 5k which is my usual week day run without dying although the first K each time felt very uncoordinated, Times were about usual as well so it seems I can take 2 weeks off and not lose too much.

I’m aiming to do a couple of 10k by the end of the month - I’m no where near ready for 1/2 marathon distance yet. End of the year maybe, but don’t hold me to that 😂

Last edited:
I only just found this thread.

I have been running since I turned 50 in 2017. Did a half marathon in 2019 in 1:46

But injuries and a heart attack in 2022 have slowed me down a bit.

My knees won't let me do long distances anymore but I love parkrun and I would highly recommend giving it a try if you haven't done already.

For those that don't know, they are free 5k timed events that take place every Saturday at 9am at hundreds of places all over the country. Just head over to the parkrun website to find your nearest one. They are very friendly and you don't need to be a good runner, or even a runner at all as some people just walk them.

It's a great way to keep fit and it's completely free.

So I may as well mention my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/@theaverageparkrunner

I am trying to do a different parkrun every week and I would really appreciate it if you subscribed to my channel :)

For those that don't know, they are free 5k timed events that take place every Saturday at 9am at hundreds of places all over the country. Just head over to the parkrun website to find your nearest one. They are very friendly and you don't need to be a good runner, or even a runner at all as some people just walk them.

The problem is being up and dressed for 9am on a Saturday! I keep intending to try parkrun, but breakfast in bed is too easy!

The problem is being up and dressed for 9am on a Saturday! I keep intending to try parkrun, but breakfast in bed is too easy!

The number of times my alarm goes off and think I am really not feeling it today, but once I have done it then I am always glad I did. It gets the day off to a great start and makes you feel good about yourself and the world. You should definitely make the effort.

The number of times my alarm goes off and think I am really not feeling it today, but once I have done it then I am always glad I did. It gets the day off to a great start and makes you feel good about yourself and the world. You should definitely make the effort.
Oh yes I always feel better after any sort of workout than I did before, especially if I didn't really feel like doing it.

Did a half marathon in 2019 in 1:46
That is ridiculously fast! Well done!
Scottish Parkrun's start at 9:30am - a much more sensible hour IMO! That said, all Parkruns are phenomenal events and well worth doing. Lot's or walkers do my local one too.

On a similar note, there are lots of great organisations out there who do learn-to-run type things, or offer a social space to run slowly (and then go eat cake). International Frontrunners operate all over the world - they are a network of running clubs for LGBTQIA+ people, (or non-LGBTQIA+ people who are just awesome). They are truly inclusive.