• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Any 'runners' out there?

ScottishChris

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Legend
In 2012 I was in a fancy hotel in London, I stepped out the shower to see my reflection in a full-length mirror. It was then I realised I was beyond chubby and decided to do something about it. I completed a couch to 5k and and have ran (intermittently) ever since.... I have lost a lot of the excess flab too! I have ran a number of half marathons and perpetually told myself I will run a full marathon one day (not got there... yet).

To say I have had a crap year would be an understatement and running and walking (an Blackpool Pleasure Beach) has got me through it. My distances had tailed off though, but on Sunday I did run a half marathon distance getting a PB time of 1:52 although I had hoped to be closer to 1:45.

My sunday run even managed to factor in a fun little detour!
1701763938425.png

Anybody else on here run? What's your distance of choice?

The ubiquitous Strava link for anyone that fancies adding me: https://www.strava.com/athletes/17453474

Yes! I have been thinking about posting but wasn’t sure if there was anyone else out there!
I first did couch to 5k years ago, found it soul destroying but eventually managed to run for 30 minutes. I have done a few 5k races, plus Bristol 10k and half, but nowadays just run maybe 3 times a week to compensate for a desk job. I am trying to get back up to regularly doing 10k at the weekends but the weather is hampering my efforts.

I don’t do Strava, but I do do Zombies Run (or ZRX as it’s now called) which is an interactive podcast type thing when you are literally chased by (virtual) zombies to get some sprints in whilst on your route.

Yes! I have been thinking about posting but wasn’t sure if there was anyone else out there!
I first did couch to 5k years ago, found it soul destroying but eventually managed to run for 30 minutes. I have done a few 5k races, plus Bristol 10k and half, but nowadays just run maybe 3 times a week to compensate for a desk job. I am trying to get back up to regularly doing 10k at the weekends but the weather is hampering my efforts.

I don’t do Strava, but I do do Zombies Run (or ZRX as it’s now called) which is an interactive podcast type thing when you are literally chased by (virtual) zombies to get some sprints in whilst on your route.
I actually done my C25K on a treadmill - which was a pretty silly thing... I hated it. I am also struggling a bit with dark nights and bad weather - living by the sea is lovely until it gets windy!

I tried ZRX back in the day, I didn't like it much but might give it another go.

I actually done my C25K on a treadmill - which was a pretty silly thing... I hated it. I am also struggling a bit with dark nights and bad weather - living by the sea is lovely until it gets windy!

I tried ZRX back in the day, I didn't like it much but might give it another go.
I like it - makes my run a little more interesting. The “raise the gates! Covering fire!” Tends to get me going a little now.

I willingly miss the bus, rather than run sixty feet. A heard of rampaging rhinos could be stampeding along the street towards me, and my pace would not change.

I get that some wirdos ”like” to run, but you do know it’s 2023, right? We have cars and trains and stupid little scooters and everything.

I have, however, been known to quicken my pace when lunch is short and beer is needed.

I am not a runner. However i do sit in a vehicle watching runners go past hoping they reach the finish line without injury or illness.

My distances had tailed off though, but on Sunday I did run a half marathon distance getting a PB time of 1:52 although I had hoped to be closer to 1:45.
Under two hours for a half marathon is fantastic! Its been a long time since I did any serious running and my best was about 2.05.

I agree under two hours for a half marathon is a good time, my best is 1:54.
Triathlon is what I enjoy and running is probably my worst discipline out of the 3.
I did a full Ironman distance this year including a full marathon but I only managed to run the first half, second half was run / walk, my total finish time for the Ironman was 14 and half hours but I was just pleased to finish.
I’ll stick to half distance races next year as the full is such a commitment training wise.

I agree under two hours for a half marathon is a good time, my best is 1:54.
Triathlon is what I enjoy and running is probably my worst discipline out of the 3.
I did a full Ironman distance this year including a full marathon but I only managed to run the first half, second half was run / walk, my total finish time for the Ironman was 14 and half hours but I was just pleased to finish.
I’ll stick to half distance races next year as the full is such a commitment training wise.
A few years ago I agreed to a Triathalon when in the pub. Thankfully we mostly forgot that conversation!

I had a friend try to convince me to do an Iornman. I think I would literally die doing it.

I did the Disney Princess Half Marathon last year. I was aiming for under 90 minutes, but then I realised that you could take lots of photos backstage as you ran round the back of Magic Kingdom and Epcot, so I ended up taking 98 minutes, but it was worth it for all the photos. I've just signed up for the Leeds marathon.

I've done the first week of couch to 5k about 10 times, the second week about 5 times, the third week once and the fourth week never. I started it again last week...

I like it - makes my run a little more interesting. The “raise the gates! Covering fire!” Tends to get me going a little now.
WithU is a great audio first training app with some great running programmes. Including Outdoor Running in partnership with Parkrun.

There are lots of coached runs available, plus free running tools.

I use it to stay motivated in the gym, mainly for the rowing and elliptical programmes. I've tried a few of the running ones though and it's great.

Cannot recommend it enough. I even pay for a subscription, though there are free options - https://withutraining.com

EDIT: It also has a "couch to 5k" programme too. Includes lots of stretching and conditioning to keep in tip top shape. You really feel as though you have your own personal trainer.

I've done the first week of couch to 5k about 10 times, the second week about 5 times, the third week once and the fourth week never. I started it again last week...
Keep going with it. When I done mine I had to do Week 5 several times! Anyone who has done it will no-doubt remember week 5!

On a side note, lots of running groups do group Couch to 5k's starting in January. It's something I wish I had done as running as a group is much more pleasant and it provides a bit peer-pressure to actually do it!

I dragged myself out today after over a week wimping out due to weather. Wasn’t my best time, butI suppose at least I did something today.
Does anyone have tips for carrying on when it’s dark, wet, cold and just generally horrible?

I dragged myself out today after over a week wimping out due to weather. Wasn’t my best time, butI suppose at least I did something today.
Does anyone have tips for carrying on when it’s dark, wet, cold and just generally horrible?
Honestly it's about routine, I believe. You'll get to a point where you'll get cranky if you don't go for a run, where you need a run and where you want to run. A few regular sessions and it'll click. For me it was two weeks of 5 days a week at the gym rowing before I started feeling glad that I get to workout, not that I have to, but that I get the privilege. That's the mindset shift you're looking out for.

I also walk to the gym and back, about 40 mins each way, no matter the weather, at the same time each day.

It's totally about routine. I run Monday, Wednesday and Friday with a longer run on Sunday - if I don't and don't have a good enough reason I get mad at myself! Running with a group can help too - there are lots of clubs about and the majority cater to all abilities.

The other option you have is to sign-up to a race. Then put yourself onto a training plan you need to stick too.

The strange thing is, I don't mind running in the wet, cold or dark... hot summers days though - they kill me! Maybe it's because of my Scottishness 🤣

I used to have a routine (5k mon, wed fri plus long run every other weekend) , but I’m very easily put off by the weather, and now we’re being directed to go into the office 3 times a week fitting a run in is becoming more tricky. I also hurt my ribs a couple of months back so had to stop and getting started again this time of year is tricky.

I looked at joining a club but they drive to random places to run and I just don’t want to do that - it seems daft to me.

I’m going to have to just drag myself out aren’t I 😬

I used to have a routine (5k mon, wed fri plus long run every other weekend) , but I’m very easily put off by the weather, and now we’re being directed to go into the office 3 times a week fitting a run in is becoming more tricky. I also hurt my ribs a couple of months back so had to stop and getting started again this time of year is tricky.

I looked at joining a club but they drive to random places to run and I just don’t want to do that - it seems daft to me.

I’m going to have to just drag myself out aren’t I 😬
There are also low joint impact options available at the gym, like elliptical machines. WithU (as previously mentioned) is a great way to keep motivated and train well on those machines. Just until the weather gets a bit better, or even as a compliment to your running!