• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Autism the thread

I've been having repeated issues with the iPad case I usually get (yes, that implies plural, as I go through them at a stupid rate). The plastic shell that holds the iPad is just really brittle, and seems to break upon contact with anything. It's not as though I treat them that roughly, but I do wonder whether my slight autism-related clumsiness is a factor. I just had a corner snap off when it went alongside a washing basket, for example. Now begins the task of trying to find a more substantial replacement, as I can't be bothered paying £18 every few months to get a fresh one that's not even very good. Problem is there are so many on the market that making a decision is so hard.
That looks very similar to the style I usually go for (although my current one is one with a see-through silicon shell), and I'm experiencing something similar with the iPad case I've had since May 2020, where another little bit of the shell seems to break off every so often. Bizarrely, though, I wouldn't say I ever move my iPad forcefully enough to warrant the case breaking... perhaps it's just age, and maybe that particular style of case is just particularly brittle?

That looks very similar to the style I usually go for (although my current one is one with a see-through silicon shell), and I'm experiencing something similar with the iPad case I've had since May 2020, where another little bit of the shell seems to break off every so often. Bizarrely, though, I wouldn't say I ever move my iPad forcefully enough to warrant the case breaking... perhaps it's just age, and maybe that particular style of case is just particularly brittle?
I've lost track of how many of these I've had. I got the first one as a replacement for the SmartCover and neoprene sleeve (still have the sleeve), as I was going through the SmartCovers at an alarming rate. At the moment, I'm thinking of something like this, which looks a lot more substantial, and is the same price.

I've lost track of how many of these I've had. I got the first one as a replacement for the SmartCover and neoprene sleeve (still have the sleeve), as I was going through the SmartCovers at an alarming rate. At the moment, I'm thinking of something like this, which looks a lot more substantial, and is the same price.
I've got one of these are they are great for a while, like perhaps year but the screen protector bit starts to become a bit of a nightmare sensitivity wise with the screen even if you clean it a lot as stuff just gets stuck in there. Also the plastic bits that hold the rubber cover over the plastic cover do wear out. However apart from these two things I've always been very happy with mine. In inbuilt stand is a great function.

I want something with an inbuilt stand, as that's so useful when I'm travelling somewhere. One problem I do have is that because there are so many small variations when it comes to iPad sizes over the generations, it can be a minefield trying to find the right one.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've got something I'm thinking about, and I'd be intrigued to know if anyone on here can relate.

Basically, I'm attending a family wedding in about 2 months' time. I'll digress that I'm an introvert, and not someone who overly enjoys big social gatherings anyway, but I usually feel OK because I know I can stay around my close family who I know well at these kinds of things.

However, my mum and sister went to the bride's hen do the other day, and they got a look at the seating plan. And it emerged that bar my sister, I am not sat with any of my close family. We are sat with our cousin, who I know but am not especially close with, and everyone else on our table is someone I've never spoken to. And I won't lie, it makes me a tad nervous.

I only wanted to ask; would this make any of the fellow autistics on here nervous? Am I being totally unreasonable for feeling a touch uncomfortable about this? I know that for most people, this sort of thing is "part of the fun" of weddings, so I'm probably being overly nervous about this, but I'll admit I've never been especially comfortable around people I don't know.

Would anyone else feel the same here, or is that only me?

if I put myself in my sons head - then I fully understand your feelings. But I would say - don’t be apprehensive. Your with family who will love you and surely make you feel welcome?

On another note - we’re having issues with our son this week being half term etc. the six weeks is likely to be hell. We want a few days with our other children. Is this selfish? Also is there any form of respite available?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I've got something I'm thinking about, and I'd be intrigued to know if anyone on here can relate.

Basically, I'm attending a family wedding in about 2 months' time. I'll digress that I'm an introvert, and not someone who overly enjoys big social gatherings anyway, but I usually feel OK because I know I can stay around my close family who I know well at these kinds of things.

However, my mum and sister went to the bride's hen do the other day, and they got a look at the seating plan. And it emerged that bar my sister, I am not sat with any of my close family. We are sat with our cousin, who I know but am not especially close with, and everyone else on our table is someone I've never spoken to. And I won't lie, it makes me a tad nervous.

I only wanted to ask; would this make any of the fellow autistics on here nervous? Am I being totally unreasonable for feeling a touch uncomfortable about this? I know that for most people, this sort of thing is "part of the fun" of weddings, so I'm probably being overly nervous about this, but I'll admit I've never been especially comfortable around people I don't know.

I think it’s totally reasonable and very understandable that you’d want to be sat next to your close family at a social function.

I think sometimes with weddings people can be a little bit too caught up in making seating plans and trying to arrange where everyone sits as they see fit (or according to conventions) and they inadvertently start chopping up and dividing family groups. Personally I’d suggest having a chat with your parents about this and seeing if they’d be willing to maybe have a little word with whoever is organising it to see if the seating can be juggled around a little bit to sit you all together if possible.

A few years a go I was an usher at a family friend's wedding. Having jobs to do and working in a small team really helped my anxiety. Then during the service I sat with my family. The reception was a traditional ceilidh, so as I don't dance I was just sat a talking to others I knew and watching everyone.

I think it’s totally reasonable and very understandable that you’d want to be sat next to your close family at a social function.

I think sometimes with weddings people can be a little bit too caught up in making seating plans and trying to arrange where everyone sits as they see fit (or according to conventions) and they inadvertently start chopping up and dividing family groups. Personally I’d suggest having a chat with your parents about this and seeing if they’d be willing to maybe have a little word with whoever is organising it to see if the seating can be juggled around a little bit to sit you all together if possible.
Depends on your close family mister!
Hate weddings, hate family weddings, managed to avoid them (apart from one ex clients that was wonderful...covid rules!) for a decade or two.
Seating plans are a pain, but basic family smalltalk is usually very freeflowing at weddings.
If you aren't the most chatty and social Matt, that means there is an aunt/cousin out there who is a non stop talker, who can't wait to bore you to death for an hour!
They love the quiet types, so they can tell you "All about Me", and the rest of the table.

The simple solution is to ask for the seating plan to be changed, there's no harm in asking. I know wedding seating plans can be a pain because there's things like Aunt Mary doesn't get on with Aunt Sarah and so on. But asking won't do any harm, there your family after all there should be no harm in being honest and saying how you feel, as long as you aren't doing it to offend, which of course you wouldn't.

@Jonathan More bad publicity for Manchester Airport, centering around the way security dealt with someone with autism.

I’m not even sure if that is “bad publicity” for the airport. With all due respect that seems more like an incident that the child and parent were clearly distressed by but I’m not so sure if it actually reflects badly on the airport or their procedures.

Airports can be stressful environments anyway but there are still procedures that passengers have to go through and staff have to carry out. It’s unfortunate that the child was so uncomfortable with it and that the parents decided to not proceed with their journey and holiday but that looks to be more a decision that they made themselves more than anything they were forced to do by the airport.

The simple solution is to ask for the seating plan to be changed, there's no harm in asking. I know wedding seating plans can be a pain because there's things like Aunt Mary doesn't get on with Aunt Sarah and so on. But asking won't do any harm, there your family after all there should be no harm in being honest and saying how you feel, as long as you aren't doing it to offend, which of course you wouldn't.
I don’t think I want to ask for the seating plan to be changed. I wouldn’t want to interfere with the bride and groom’s plans; it’s their day, not mine, and I can suck up one day of being slightly uncomfortable if that’s what the happy couple want (the seating plan, I mean). I would never want to exploit my ASD just to get my way or serve my own agenda, particularly when we’re talking about a wedding where the day isn’t about me.

My parents have said it’s going to be quite an informal wedding anyway, so people will probably disperse a bit after the meal, speeches, etc are over. I think they knew that this prospect would make me uncomfortable, and they seemed a bit bemused by the decision themselves, but like me, I don’t think they’d be keen on interfering; they instead seemed keen on reassuring me about it.

I was only curious to know whether I was unreasonable for feeling a tad uncomfortable, as I thought in my head that it seemed selfish and out of the spirit of weddings. I’m glad to know that I’m seemingly not alone in feeling slightly uncomfortable about this prospect. Although I must digress that I don’t look forward to weddings in general as much as most; while I’m slightly anxious, the rest of my family are very excited about it. My Nan is particularly excited; she said to me “we’re due a good wedding!”.

It might not help that I haven’t been to a wedding in 7 years and have only attended 3 full weddings in my lifetime… so this is only my 4th wedding and my first as an adult wedding guest.

Last edited:
I’m not even sure if that is “bad publicity” for the airport. With all due respect that seems more like an incident that the child and parent were clearly distressed by but I’m not so sure if it actually reflects badly on the airport or their procedures.

Airports can be stressful environments anyway but there are still procedures that passengers have to go through and staff have to carry out. It’s unfortunate that the child was so uncomfortable with it and that the parents decided to not proceed with their journey and holiday but that looks to be more a decision that they made themselves more than anything they were forced to do by the airport.
I get the feeling we aren't getting the full picture.
However it seems to be implied they were rushing which during a pat down can for many autistics be a single thing overload trigger (as compared to overflowing bucket)

Current gripe, companies having only phone contact options, this is after pointing out I'm autistic and voice calls aren't easy...

And this is RE a delay repay claim for the 8th of may...

Could you get someone to do the call on your behalf?
I think that's missing the point. Companies have a legal duty to make their services accessible. That includes offering alternative contact methods for people who cannot or prefer not to use the phone

I think that's missing the point. Companies have a legal duty to make their services accessible. That includes offering alternative contact methods for people who cannot or prefer not to use the phone

Oddly for those who cannot use the phone and need textphone there is an option for web sales support, but not for general queries!

Could you get someone to do the call on your behalf?
It's tricky doing that! Plus legally I don't have to.

Oddly for those who cannot use the phone and need textphone there is an option for web sales support, but not for general queries
Probably because it's the support line for whoever do their ticket issuing system (trainline I think).

But my key complaint here is there's direct line to the delay repay team if you can use a phone, but otherwise you have to go through customer services via email etc...