• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Being 'warned' of a long queue when entering just before ride close

It's symptomatic of the lack of interest in guest satisfaction at Merlin parks at the moment. You see on their Facebook all the time examples of long queues, early closes and over selling of fasttrack. So much of the management coming in are incompetent yes-men who don't know how to run a themepark and a few good managers are left trying to hold the place up.

They are destroying the park slowly and surely.

The concept of numerous staff members doing this without awareness from bosses is not really viable in my view.

It is either ordered, encouraged or at the very least ignored by managers because it is of benefit in terms of saving money.

The squeeze is widespread, even if not always obvious. Food prices seem to have risen within this season, for example. History will remember 2012 as the 'Year of the Squeeze'. A lot of things, such as the new refillable quenchers, are coming across as desperate and embarrassing now.

The staff in general yesterday were semi-moody. I think morale is low.

Tom said:
History will remember 2012 as the 'Year of the Squeeze'.

I would hope that history will remember 2011 as the "Year of the Squeeze", this is more like the "Year of the finding whatever is left and Squeezing that as well". At the very least it's also the “Year when the public have said No" as well. When I think of all the cuts they've tried to make and been met with an almighty backlash I can only imagine how much worse this year could have been.

I think there is a slight air of naivety thinking that this isn't partly down to staff not changing queue time boards to represent the accurate time... Indeed, many a time when I worked at Vampire at the end of the day it said 50 minutes when in reality it was about 10 (and this was when it was run well)...

And that was pre-Merlin too, so it isn't as black and white as cost cutting measures (indeed, if it were, would it not be ride managers stood at entrances trying to ward people off?), and can also be linked to the staff wanting to get out early (because if I had been on Rita all day, I'd want to get home closer to 5 than 6)...

Again, the concept of the staff having a kind of free role to do this without management awareness is not possible.

What I originally described was certainly not evident during any of my numerous visits in 2010/2011.

I don't recall this either. In fact, there was one girl stood at the entrance to Nemesis a couple of Summers ago telling people to rush on for some last rides. :p

I think it comes down to individual staff, I remember one park close, where we were going for Air, the queue host greeter, was encouraging us to run, and would only let us pass after a high 5.

Like any service orientated operation, it only takes 1 poor experience to ruin it, or 1 positive experience to turn it in to a magical day out. We are not all clones, and therefore you are going to have different experiences depending on who and when you meet a ride host.

Ian

I still find it unlikely it's not under instruction from managers. Someone has already stated they complained about it. So if staff were taking it upon themselves to say it, they would be aware of the risk of this happening. It's not hard to identify who was at the Rita (of whatever) entrance at ride close to issue disciplinary action.

I find it more likely that the words of warning will have been delivered in a staff brief and that the policy will remain until sufficient number of complaints are received (if there hasn't been already).

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you think about it, especially this year, surely you have to admit that what I suggest is at least a very real possibility.

Having just returned from France both Asterix and Disney appeared to be up to these tricks. Asterix don't display queue sizes as such, but on absolutely everything possible all day all queue extensions were closed while the queues spilled out of the entrances, in some cases for a few hundred meters. I can only presume this was to discourage in vain yet more people joining, and was total chaos. In fairness to Disney I only saw it on Crush Coaster, where queue extensions were closed about an hour before park close every eve, but then it was the only thing across the two parks with any real queue.

I've never heard of this before. Even at 5 to closing on the last day of the season they've always been happy for you to ride, even if no one else has been on for ages.

It has to have come from above, there's always been a slowdown towards the end of the day, of course, but they've never before lied to people so they can knock off five minutes early. Yes, supermarkets and shops do it, but supermarkets don't cost over £40 to get in!

And I know I'm pessimistic, but the claim that queue extensions are being closed to make the queue appear longer is questionable. If it isn't necessary for them to be open, maybe they have closed them simply so people don't have to walk as far :p

Tom said:
And I know I'm pessimistic, but the claim that queue extensions are being closed to make the queue appear longer is questionable. If it isn't necessary for them to be open, maybe they have closed them simply so people don't have to walk as far :p

Disneyland Paris close the extensions on Crush's Coaster on all but the quietest days (when they're probably closed anyway) so it makes it look longer. They maintain 85 on the queue time display at the entrance, even though it's more like 20-30.

Although it may be wrong I do have to sympathise with the ride staff, who have been working a very long day, non stop, who then have to work another possible two hours to clear the remaining queue. I guess I can see it from both sides of the argument here...

But the park hours have been reduced, so they all get an hour extra off over last year anyway? :p

AstroDan said:
Tom said:

Disneyland Paris close the extensions on Crush's Coaster on all but the quietest days (when they're probably closed anyway) so it makes it look longer. They maintain 85 on the queue time display at the entrance, even though it's more like 20-30.
Except on peak days they open the whole queue and the temporary rope queue outside...

Like others have said, they arent the only staff to do it, it happens across most industries.

Its just a shame it happens somewhere were guest experience is such a pivotal issue, especially at the moment when the park seems to be taking a hammering in its reputation - I can imagine why they staff want to get off early, they cant be happy working somewhere getting grief at present.

Are the managers aware? Probably. Do they care? Probably not. They already have the guests money and the sooner they are gone the sooner they can aim to get someone elses money.
And lets not forget the managers get to go home earlier too. Win win win for all concerned - except the guests.

The argument that things happen elsewhere is never justification for anything that's morally wrong. I'm not sure why people mention it? Particularly when it comes to American-owned examples, a country where society is financially fascist and elitist.

When this sort of attitude continues to trickle into Merlin (and will only escalate once the company is floated) we only have now to challenge it before it sets in permanently like wood rot.

Too many people give in too easily to stealth robbery in my opinion.

Not sure of your point Tom, I certainly wasn't justifying them doing it. I said customers lose out and its a shame it's allowed to happen.

Re-reading the thread I can't see anyone happy with the behavior.

People seem to be sort of making a neutral statement that it happens elsewhere. I read that as a defensive-of-Alton Towers thing to say, but I guess it could just as easily be negative - but I didn't take it as such. Only you know what you meant so fair enough.