• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I went to Blackpool during april half term and I waited for Icon to open but it did not open till 3:30 but before it opened I waited there since 12 waiting to get on it and I got front row first ride of the day it was nice and still smooth like ever but I did notice that the doors were becoming harder for the staff to open while I was there. After it started testing it became a 4 hr line.

Last edited:
the purple train on Nash has a sign saying "unserviceable" on it
That sign makes an appearance from time to time, I wouldn't think anything further of it

With that said, watching 4-train operation on Nash this year, I'd be inclined to say 2 train operation isn't really any different in terms of throughput

As for the appearance of the park - I agree with both sides. The character has definitely been washed away in a lot of places.
Grimy? Not really - on every single visit this year I have seen the paths actively being swept, windows cleaned, and general upkeep. It's certainly more visible than it is at Towers.

There are, obviously, part of the park which need serious modernisation. The south entrance area in particular looks like it hasn't been touched in decades.

The arcade just outside the main entrance is laughable these days, that needs to go (especially when it's the current shortcut out). On that subject, I wish they'd just give in and open the gates, walking through the new shop (or arcade) is getting tiresome. Still yet to see anyone stop and make a purchase

Park is steady this afternoon. Absolutely love Pleasure Beach in the sun ! When I past by yesterday there were a ton of coaches, none today - so the park is seemingly not getting group trips as much on a Friday, but non-group guests make up for it to make crowds broadly comparable.

The Valhalla opened at around 2 I think. Queue is probably the best part of 45 mins now, I would estimate. Both the fire dragons at the entrance are now working, it has typically only been one of them, even on media day.

Avalanche is running one train, but it's a different train so it's presumably now got two that are serviceable.

One observation ... The music that is being played around the park is fairly odd. I thought it was a mix with everything else - but seemingly it's now exclusively lounge covers which is quite pleasant when you're sat in Loki's with a Bulmers but creates a slightly strange atmosphere when you're queueing for a high energy ride like the National.

They are currently playing this interesting re-imagining of A-ha's Take on Me.

And now ...

I am reminded of a story I was once told about a very tense meeting with the folks at Kit Kat Radio where WGT and Nick T had a debate about the kind of music that should be played in the park, WGT wanted "seaside classics like I do like to be beside the seaside" and Nick wanted more chart stuff. WGT shut down the meeting by saying "I write the cheques" and the decision was made. Those kind of songs were played for a while, as I recall.

I do enjoy the lounge covers in Lokis.

Feel the park should be playing a good selection of modern pop really. Does the radio station ever have a presenter anymore? You'd think they could get a member of staff to do that, or advertise for anyone who'd fancy doing it for the experience.

It’s been on and off for many years now. Mainly off, with a few live days in previous years, such as fireworks nights.

Agree though, the music needs a rethink.

Is it actually meant to be any good? I don't like skating personally but is the show any good to actual fans?

Is it actually meant to be any good? I don't like skating personally but is the show any good to actual fans?
In a one word answer...Yes!
If you have never seen it, and are enjoying a whole park experience on a sunny day, ...not bloody cred running...get to the matinee at least.
Only an hour, cheap seats are free on your band, and it is a well produced show with stunning skaters, top notch costumes, lighting and sound.
Well worth a visit if you have never seen it.
And it is nice and cool on a hot day.
The evening show tends to drag on a bit.
We always have a group side bet on the number of fallers...
Usually at least one, half a dozen on a bad night.
Very cramped seats, numb arse a distinct possibility.

Must be the busiest day of this season so far. Icon queue well out the arch

Sadly, Big one not open and I've been told it won't be for a while.

National was being pushed in the station a few minutes ago, no opening time on the board

Icon isn’t worth queuing out of the gate for
Absolutely not. It still had a queue up the steps at 20:45

Big One opened late but is thankfully back on two (full) trains. It maintained a large queue all day, they had the full extension opened and it was still a couple of rows deep in the roped section for a while.

Rev was popular. Bizarrely, the ride photo booth on that shut very, very early. Not sure if a fault or cba? People were trying to look at their photos through a narrow gap under the shutter

Back on the subject of music, the playlist they had on today seems to be from years ago - it was all pop from around 2008-2012ish. It had 'PB Radio' idents, which I haven't noticed/heard in a long time

Final point, had a rare one today - emergency stop on PBE. Somebody messing round on the track apparently.

Gorillaz on the radio...
Walk on Grand Prix...got lucky after a closure.
Fluked a low point in the Rollercoaster queue, one train wait.
National had that fine British institution...seven staff stood watching while one bloke tried to do a repair.
Apart from the bar, everything on around half an hour queues.
The important news, the Big Dipper onion/teardrop/Iced Gem has been replaced, nice and tidy in gold, silver and white.

Last edited:
The important news, the Big Dipper onion/teardrop/Iced Gem has been replaced, nice and tidy in gold, silver and white.

You forgot flame. It's definitely a flame !!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I've always thought it was meant to be a flame, then suddenly this year I hear that the park refer to it as an onion for some bizarre reason.

Has there been any word on when it'll reopen?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.