• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Don't want to rub any salt in here, but there do seem to be are awfully large number of seats still available for the award winning, internationally renowned, star studded Hot Ice show this weekend, like about 95% of them.
Pull the Arena down, it needs it, and put a nice new woodie there.
If your going to knock down a theatre that never gets used surely the globe makes more sense.

The ice rink can at least be used for people to learn ice skating so has some ability to bring in money.

Commercial energy prices have recently gone through the roof, keeping that ice slab cold in an ancient building won't be cheap.
The building has ancient sewerage systems, and has long struggled with vermin infestations, allegedly.

Here is seat availability for tomorrow evening. Saturday 30th July.

You would have thought it would be the busiest night of the week

Grey dots are unavailable....

041c7f1568f64ef85ea56d26bb278552.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Matinee "cheap seat" tickets have been free for years though, and still people don't go, because the wristbands cost so much they don't want to miss out on the rides.
Shame really, a big production that nobody wants to see anymore.

Hot Ice could work as a free park show but it's always going to struggle as an upcharge

I’ve noticed that on their Twitter feeds they are regularly telling people that a park entry ticket includes a free seat for Hot Ice. I assume that they are just trying to get some bums on seats and to generate a little atmosphere there so that the performers aren’t performing to a very empty arena.

51e5f32f981646899a394d58ecf31b09.jpg

£46 entry, spanking money on an Ice Show nobody wants to see, tweets that might put off more than half your audience, poor F&B options, Valhalla not looking likely to open this year - these are some of the reasons I personally haven't visited this year despite being an annual passholder in previous years and it being my local park. They did well to put Icon in, IMHO a top class ride in the UK and within western Europe. However, I don't feel the draw to go back. If it was £25 entry I'd visit but not at the prices they currently charge.

Wasn't the Hot Ice show always Amanda's baby?
I think it was, yes. She ran it even when Geoffrey Thompson was still alive, which would suggest that she definitely has a passion for it!

I find it interesting that it was Amanda Thompson who took the reins of the business rather than Nick Thompson, as I always get the impression that Nick is more interested in the rides and the actual park than Amanda, with Amanda mainly being interested in the shows & hotels.

When a business turns off comments on their social media posts it’s never a good sign imo. It’s the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears. They know things aren’t up to scratch and that things haven’t been for a while, they just don’t want to hear it and don’t want other potential customers to see what they’re in for either.

Last edited:
The social media team at most theme parks are youth adults so when they get people moaning about the queues, prices and opening hours just saying sorry and giving them a email link to the customer services isn’t a good enough answer so they turn comments off.

When a business turns off comments on their social media posts it’s never a good sign imo. It’s the equivalent of sticking their fingers in their ears. They know things aren’t up to scratch and that things haven’t been for a while, they just don’t want to hear it and don’t want other potential customers to see what they’re in for either.
Management at the Beach has always been very good at sticking fingers in their ears.
I imagine they will bring back cheap entry, or discounted wristbands on weekdays, at the end of the summer holidays, out of sheer desperation.

Likewise, always enjoy it every few years.
Bearable as the shorter matinee, and nice and cool in the summer heat, but awkward when most of the seats are empty.
Like slimefest with chanting dancers, dj, and no punters, still cringeworthy from the Nash queue.

From what I understand, WGT was the one who wanted Amanda to take over as MD. Nick still has a role, especially on the ride side - he was very involved in Icon for example.

I do wonder which direction the park will go. I have feeling they’re at a bit of a crossroads. They seem to be down on customers and there are seemingly struggling with Valhalla and poor ride availability generally, especially at off peak times.

If, when they do eventually open Valhalla, it’s a home run, that might start to turn the corner. Combine that with a lower entry price to attract more punters, sort out ride operations and F&B to increase secondary spend, continue to push the free entry to Hot Ice (which I genuinely believe could be an excellent accompaniment to people’s visits), stop the daft earlier closures on nights you’ve specifically advertised as late opening and get a marketing strategy that works… and it could be back on the front foot.

I might be asking too much there.

On a side note, the other thing I’ve wanted them to do for ages is install a giant Intamin gyroswing at the back of Alice. Seems a no brainier to me - a world class flat ride that’d get people talking, it would reinvigorate that area of the park which is badly needed, it would seem to fit in the space well and we know Amanda is best mates with Andreas from Liseberg, so he can endorse it.

On a side note, the other thing I’ve wanted them to do for ages is install a giant Intamin gyroswing at the back of Alice. Seems a no brainier to me - a world class flat ride that’d get people talking, it would reinvigorate that area of the park which is badly needed, it would seem to fit in the space well and we know Amanda is best mates with Andreas from Liseberg, so he can endorse it.

Yep, a good thrill flat ride on that spot would be a fantastic addition.

And I think a flat ride is about all we can hope for in the next few years. Don't think we will get anything at all next year.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

From what I understand, WGT was the one who wanted Amanda to take over as MD. Nick still has a role, especially on the ride side - he was very involved in Icon for example.

I do wonder which direction the park will go. I have feeling they’re at a bit of a crossroads. They seem to be down on customers and there are seemingly struggling with Valhalla and poor ride availability generally, especially at off peak times.

If, when they do eventually open Valhalla, it’s a home run, that might start to turn the corner. Combine that with a lower entry price to attract more punters, sort out ride operations and F&B to increase secondary spend, continue to push the free entry to Hot Ice (which I genuinely believe could be an excellent accompaniment to people’s visits), stop the daft earlier closures on nights you’ve specifically advertised as late opening and get a marketing strategy that works… and it could be back on the front foot.

I might be asking too much there.

An Intamin giant swing would be a fantastic addition, a ride that swings you back and forth, such as a frisbee or a pirate boat is a staple attraction at any park and something Blackpool have been missing for a while. By the way though does anyone know the reason they got rid of Bling (the Zierer Star Shape) in 2011?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.