• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

Bet it is gone for good.
Clapped out concrete and cars.
Big footprint.
Extremely low capacity...less than a hundred per hour on a good day with full cars.
Often closed for half a day, either late opening or early closing due to charging issues.
Because of the above, lots of customer complaints.
Rip out that concrete spiral, slap a big new woodie in.
And a bar.
And a kebab shop.

I'm a bit sad about Grand Prix though it was closed at end of last season too, shame they havan't bothered to sort it out over the closed season. Its popular with younger kids my nephews loved it, and of course it something a bit different (in the UK, have to go to DLP for Autopia). Its also a long standing classic at the park now so I hope it isn't gone for good but given it was closed towards the end of last season, is closed all this year, it doesn't look good :(

I'm also concerned if it was gone (which it may already be) there wouldn't be a replacement and its a big site. We still don't have a replacement for Wild Mouse (I don't count a few benches) so I suspect thats problem why it hasn't been demolished if the park have decided its gone, Maybe it will get the Slammer treatment for 10 years so the space isn't just empty

The erosion of flat rides at the park over a long period of time has seemingly gone unnoticed with attention being on Towers and Thier own lack of flats. Id be interested to know how many rides have gone without a replacement over the last 10 years or so. As someone has already stated it's been 6 years since Thier last new ride, for a park that claims to be one of the best in Europe that's really poor. You're effectively getting less for your money every season.

Inspired by the chat in the Thorpe thread but why are the height restrictions so random at BPB compared to other parks? Is it an Imperial measurement legacy or something?

Inspired by the chat in the Thorpe thread but why are the height restrictions so random at BPB compared to other parks? Is it an Imperial measurement legacy or something?
I think it might be an imperial measurement thing. BPB apparently used to measure in imperial, and some of the odd ones equate to more round numbers in imperial (e.g. 132cm = 52”/4’4”).

Bet it is gone for good.
Clapped out concrete and cars.
Big footprint.
Extremely low capacity...less than a hundred per hour on a good day with full cars.
Often closed for half a day, either late opening or early closing due to charging issues.
Because of the above, lots of customer complaints.
Rip out that concrete spiral, slap a big new woodie in.
And a bar.
And a kebab shop.

If Grand Prix were to go then I wouldn’t say no to a Gesengte Sau (Prater) style Gertslauer Bobsled as a semi-spiritual modern successor to the Wild Mouse.

Steve Bells cartoon of the Tory conference in Blackpool all those years ago, (in the Guardian), under Maggie, one of my all time faves.
Shows the Tories going off the lift hill of the Big One...
"A hard turn to the right, then downhill all the way!"
Sounds similar to the current Tory party, too.

It looks like they messed up the re-track again - tiny track segment gone in to fill the gap between two sections of track. The same thing happened on the track section leading into the mid-course brakes. I don't expect it to have delayed things this time however as I've already seen it testing with staff on board in the last few weeks.

From: https://x.com/H3lixHexagon/status/1763218854384201934?s=20

Am I right in thinking that the first sections re tracked were scanned by laser and reproduced, with the more recent sections fabricated from the plans? If so, it does help re-enforce the belief that Arrow coasters weren't exactly the most accurately made things. I remember comments like "done by eye" being used when talking about ride profiling and corners.

On the Grand Prix - I'm all for replacing it. It is a great idea, but thru-put is atrocious and it is actually a bit dull... it's too long! If they could replace it with something like a powered family coaster, I feel it would be a great, marketable attraction and hit a gap in the line up. And if they could use an Aardman theme (being near to W&G)... that would be quite awesome. "Shaun The Sheep's Farmageddon Coaster" or the likes.

So they were hyping the 30 year anniversary on the local news yesterday, together with the reopening of the park, yet no mention of the actual closure!
Very, very, Blackpool.

Good luck on opening day, currently four degrees and light rain forecast for the day.
Would someone let me know if the rev doesn't make it back to the station.
Have a happy season everyone, see you when it warms up.

How big is the area occupied by the Grand Prix? Is it a “new coaster” calibre piece of land, or are we thinking more along the lines of “new flat ride” or something smaller?

Regardless, it’s exciting to hear that Blackpool Pleasure Beach are planning a new attraction!