• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

I understand that Nick is no longer on the Board and not involved in the day-to-day. I’m guessing the relationship with Amanda, whilst previously difficult, became untenable. We all know what Amanda’s opinion of big thrill rides is, and that Nick was the driver behind Icon’s ride system. Rob’s right, with his loss there is clearly much less driving force for thrill ride installation.

As for Icon itself, it attracts a lot of unmerited hyperbole - either it’s the best or the worst ride ever. Clearly, it’s neither. It’s a solid addition which is comfortable to ride, thrilling and pretty unique for the UK. Its lack of success cannot be attributed to the ride itself and you therefore have to pin it either on the marketing or just the terminal decline of Blackpool (which there’s no solid evidence for). I’m pretty sure it was the marketing and that ham-fisted, amateurish approach continues to this day, whereby the park can’t even decide itself what it’s called or what its logo is.

Obviously the park has gone through many cycles over the years, and this isn’t the first time the storm clouds have been circling. Personally, it feels to me as though there is a distinctly different feel to this time. Between the loss of many loyal staff, ride closures, outlets shuttered, the inability to communicate properly, the mismanaged marketing, confused branding, unprofessional leadership, inability to properly prepare rides for opening and reduced capacity, the whole foundation of the park does give you cause for concern.

If there’s one thing that neatly sums up the current state of the park’s attitude and attention to detail, it’s the toilets in Loki’s. They’ve been closed with a sign saying “under refurbishment” for a whole year.

I understand that Nick is no longer on the Board and not involved in the day-to-day. I’m guessing the relationship with Amanda, whilst previously difficult, became untenable. We all know what Amanda’s opinion of big thrill rides is, and that Nick was the driver behind Icon’s ride system. Rob’s right, with his loss there is clearly much less driving force for thrill ride installation.

As for Icon itself, it attracts a lot of unmerited hyperbole - either it’s the best or the worst ride ever. Clearly, it’s neither. It’s a solid addition which is comfortable to ride, thrilling and pretty unique for the UK. Its lack of success cannot be attributed to the ride itself and you therefore have to pin it either on the marketing or just the terminal decline of Blackpool (which there’s no solid evidence for). I’m pretty sure it was the marketing and that ham-fisted, amateurish approach continues to this day, whereby the park can’t even decide itself what it’s called or what its logo is.

Obviously the park has gone through many cycles over the years, and this isn’t the first time the storm clouds have been circling. Personally, it feels to me as though there is a distinctly different feel to this time. Between the loss of many loyal staff, ride closures, outlets shuttered, the inability to communicate properly, the mismanaged marketing, confused branding, unprofessional leadership, inability to properly prepare rides for opening and reduced capacity, the whole foundation of the park does give you cause for concern.

If there’s one thing that neatly sums up the current state of the park’s attitude and attention to detail, it’s the toilets in Loki’s. They’ve been closed with a sign saying “under refurbishment” for a whole year.
Are there any budding journalists out there who want to take on a book about all this? Take my money, i'd love to hear about everything that is going on behind the scenes. 'Under Refurbishment' - The Rise and Fall of the Pleasure Beach.

What about an 'Expedition Theme Park' episode about the rise and fall of Blackpool Pleasure Beach...or as you all call it Pleasure Beach Lancashire.

Icon is easily the best coaster at PB. It's in a league of it's own actually in my eyes. And yet by modern industry standards it's nothing special. That's one issue.

The marketing, of lack of, let it down massively when it first opened though. That was a huge issue.

People are staying away from the PB because the overall product is just not up to scratch anymore. All the historic attractions are really showing their age, which is to be expected, and aren't that fun to ride anymore for the most part.

It's going to take somebody with much deeper pockets than Amanda to save this place.

It’s a shame about Nick because I’m certain the park would be significantly different if he had any say about how it was ran or ride lineup.

I haven’t been to BPB for a few years now, just lost interest in the place and have no desire to go back until there’s some major shakeup.

Mandy might think she’s being cool and popular with her speeches & twitter rants but for me it actually reminds me I’ve made the right choice in staying away.

Bet Mandy loves all these vloggers talking about new rides because it’s distracting people from that terrible opening day

It's going to take somebody with much deeper pockets than Amanda to save this place.

It’s not even just about deeper pockets, it’s about someone actually having the inclination to do something innovative to improve the park or being honest enough to admit that the park has several failings and needs a massive refresh in many ways. I get the impression that even if Mandy had giant reserves of money available to her she wouldn’t actually admit that park was being left behind by its rivals and dying a death.

It’s not even just about deeper pockets, it’s about someone actually having the inclination to do something innovative to improve the park or being honest enough to admit that the park has several failings and needs a massive refresh in many ways. I get the impression that even if Mandy had giant reserves of money available to her she wouldn’t actually admit that park was being left behind by its rivals and dying a death.
This is why i'm hoping there is some ounce of realisation in the statement saying that they need to modernise and can't solely rely on heritage. If down the line they do start making positive changes, then i'm willing to forgive and move on. It must be hard to see older iconic rides disappear when the park has been in the family for many years. If change is made, i will cut some slack about the park. The issue is stubbornness and Mandy being unable to admit that she doesn't always know best.

Infusion and Grand Prix sites must be the biggest opportunities the park has without losing anything interesting or historic.

Infusion is going nowhere.
Unlikely as it is, it is popular with the good old general public...whoever they are, and is modern and reliable compared to many of their other attractions.
"Just like nemesis, but over water with fountains"...heard it many times.
Gaps will be filled with nothing for years...the odd flat if you are lucky.
Then the new ice arena.

"Just like nemesis, but over water with fountains"...heard it many times.
I've heard "better than Nemesis" on more than one occasion! Each to their own, I suppose.

Then the new ice arena.
I actually don't think that this would be a bad thing. Hot Ice (or Amanda's folly, as you call it) is actually a really good show, and should be a bigger draw than it is. The big problem is that the main entry is actually in the park, which you can only reach through a side-door in an underpass when the park is closed. If they could move it so it had a grand entrance on the prom, it would be a bigger draw. Equally, for out of season skating etc. it would be more visible.

it’s about someone actually having the inclination to do something innovative to improve the park or being honest enough to admit that the park has several failings and needs a massive refresh in many ways
I had been hopeful that the park would move in a new direction when Andy Hygate was added to the board. I have so much time for that man - he is a true enthusiast, cares more about PB than most and is a true gent; it is just unfortunate that he seems to have had to fall in-line as one of Mandy's Minions.

The whole Pleasure Peach Resort [Edit: obvious error, but better branding IMO] thing has been playing on my mind. It just feels half-*rserd. I am starting to think that a proper branding proposal must have been put forward and someone [Mandy... most likely] has brutalized the concept and we have ended up with what we have got. Nothing about what has happened makes any sense from a corporate point of view, so it does suggest 'interference'.

I've said it before but Steeplechase needs to go imo. The ride offers absolutely nothing other than it being the only one left. It takes up a sizable plot as well.

I do wonder if there is any long term planning at Pleasurebeech. The park was treading water for years and now seems to be in decline.
I don't think you need to wonder much to come to a conclusion.

I've said it before but Steeplechase needs to go imo. The ride offers absolutely nothing other than it being the only one left. It takes up a sizable plot as well.

I do wonder if there is any long term planning at Pleasurebeech. The park was treading water for years and now seems to be in decline.
There’s very little value in removing Steeplechase as there’s still Icon, Big Dipper, and Nick Streak on the site. It wouldn’t be an easy ride to replace, has enjoyment and historical value, and is accessible to younger riders

Families absolutely love the ride, often seen three generations juggling positions to race each other on those rare three lane days.
Not a thoosie favourite, but very popular.
And an excellent ride for elderly idiots to play "no hands" the whole way round...
until the brakes teeth looseners, that is.

There’s very little value in removing Steeplechase as there’s still Icon, Big Dipper, and Nick Streak on the site. It wouldn’t be an easy ride to replace, has enjoyment and historical value, and is accessible to younger riders

It’s funny how it’s a ride that on the one hand is accessible to younger riders but on the other hand is the most terrifying ride in the park as it feels like one slip and you could go tumbling out of your seat and plummet to your doom.

Compared to the other old coasters at the park I’d say it’s pretty low down on the list in terms of enjoyment and whilst yes it’s a historic ride and a fairly unique one I don’t think too many would be that upset if it were to go to make space for something better. You could put a great Gertslauer Bobsled on that site for example, just have a look at how Wiener Prater and Grona Lund fitted theirs in.

Steeplechase being removed would be the final nail in the coffin for BPB for me. Its the most unique thing there now the mouse is gone and the ark is inaccessible. Don't think I'd bother going to the park if they got rid of Steeplechase.