• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

Steeplechase being removed would be the final nail in the coffin for BPB for me. Its the most unique thing there now the mouse is gone and the ark is inaccessible. Don't think I'd bother going to the park if they got rid of Steeplechase.

I'm not aiming this response at you specifically here but more so of this whole perception of something being unique so it must be saved.

There's a reason it's unique in my eyes. It's outdated and uncomfortable. Good coasters tend to get cloned and this type of ride didn't really get many others like it built around the world and the few that were built aren't around anymore......for good reason.

Wild Mouse was same too. It was an awful coaster and really rough but because it was unique it was hailed to be something it wasn't by many folk.

I'd rather have a Wicker man Clone (with a different theme) for example over a unique Steeplechase or Wild Mouse any day of the week but maybe that's just me.

Wild Mouse was same too. It was an awful coaster and really rough but because it was unique it was hailed to be something it wasn't by many folk.

Oh Mr Benjsh,

Wildmouse was, and still is the best coaster ever built . More airtime than any other coaster you could mention. And more fun too.

And it wasn't in the least bit rough.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Wild Mouse was rough at times and was an extreme ride. It was absolutely an enthusiast staple as it provided forces and experiences which no other coaster in the world could produce. It wasn't unusual to meet people from all over the world who specifically traveled to ride the Mouse. I would say it was an enthusast's coaster, but was appreciated by a good number of GP too... even if it was only for one ride.

@Benjsh , having seen many of your responses about attractions at Blackpool specifically, I totally understand you are 'smooth and new' fan - and there is nothing wrong with that. I do feel you do underestimate the attraction of older coasters and the more unique historic attractions. I am not a fan of Steeplechase (indeed I feel that plot of land could yield a very nice RMC or the like), however, the queues at Steeplechase show how much it is enjoyed by the GP and I feel the fact it is unique helps drive that.

I'm not aiming this response at you specifically here but more so of this whole perception of something being unique so it must be saved.

There's a reason it's unique in my eyes. It's outdated and uncomfortable. Good coasters tend to get cloned and this type of ride didn't really get many others like it built around the world and the few that were built aren't around anymore......for good reason.

I'd rather have a Wicker man Clone (with a different theme) for example over a unique Steeplechase or Wild Mouse any day of the week but maybe that's just me.
I think its just you. I'd rather ride fifty different unique interesting styles of coaster than fifty clones. Why travel just to ride a Wickerman clone, when you could just ride Wickerman?

Without Steeplechase I might as well go to Alton Towers and do Nemesis instead of Infusion, Rita instead of Icon and Wickerman instead of Grand National. Whereas Steeplechase, Avalanche and Revolution provide things that none of the other UK parks have at all.

At risk of reigniting the popularity Vs capacity argument, it's probably worth noting that the throughput of Steeplechase really isn't great now it's just 3 horses per lane, especially when they don't have all lanes open. You can wait ages for it without there being all that many people there.

The fuss could also possibly be related to the involuntary euthanasia of a certain feral rodent.
I'm not sure there was consensus within the family.
Allegedly.
Sorry shakey.
I heard that too Nick wanted to spend the money to keep it.

Haven't some manufacturer tried to do a modern iteration of the Steeplechase style attraction?

Would be worth Blackpool looking into it at least as an option to keep something unique to the park. It works wonders for many parks pushing that "old school" nostalgic feel which BPB haven't really done for a long time now.

Haven't some manufacturer tried to do a modern iteration of the Steeplechase style attraction?

Would be worth Blackpool looking into it at least as an option to keep something unique to the park. It works wonders for many parks pushing that "old school" nostalgic feel which BPB haven't really done for a long time now.
Yeah S&S showed it at IAAPA a number of years back now, Nick Thompson actually introduced the presentation.

S&S did buy all the Arrow Dynamics designs etc when they went bankrupt.

@Benjsh , having seen many of your responses about attractions at Blackpool specifically, I totally understand you are 'smooth and new' fan - and there is nothing wrong with that. I do feel you do underestimate the attraction of older coasters and the more unique historic attractions. I am not a fan of Steeplechase (indeed I feel that plot of land could yield a very nice RMC or the like), however, the queues at Steeplechase show how much it is enjoyed by the GP and I feel the fact it is unique helps drive that.
I have not yet been to blackpool, but from what I have seen it seems like a good family orientated ride, and if multiple lanes are open could be good fun racing each other, i understand why many GP like it as it seems good for the whole family

I think its just you. I'd rather ride fifty different unique interesting styles of coaster than fifty clones. Why travel just to ride a Wickerman clone, when you could just ride Wickerman?

Without Steeplechase I might as well go to Alton Towers and do Nemesis instead of Infusion, Rita instead of Icon and Wickerman instead of Grand National. Whereas Steeplechase, Avalanche and Revolution provide things that none of the other UK parks have at all.

If those unique rides were good I'd probably agree with you.

There's nothing good about steeplechase though so you're proving my point. The fact it's a one of kind isn't a good thing in this instance.

I worry the environment in corporate at PB is toxic. I had a 'run in' with their marketing team via Facebook last year who publicly condemned some of my thoughts on their lack of marketing and reach. If you have a marketing manager calling people out on Facebook for pointing out their lack of marketing, you really do wonder what was going on.

For clarity: my comment was asking why, when they won the Golden Ticket for Valhalla - why were there not ads everywhere telling people that the Wold's Best Water Ride was at Blachpool Pleasure Beach. A very fair point IMO.

Anybody know what's happening with River Caves? It's been closed since after the first weekend of the season, and I don't believe it was mentioned in the season launch today when talking about investments being made to the other dark rides.

Anybody know what's happening with River Caves? It's been closed since after the first weekend of the season, and I don't believe it was mentioned in the season launch today when talking about investments being made to the other dark rides.
I suspect it's closed due to the usual case of CBA.

It was shut for at least a month before the end of last season as well. And Dora has had so much planned maintenance in the last 12 months it should be a world class water ride when it re-opens. But thinking about it, they had three years at Valhalla and made it worse !!

I am visiting with friends this weekend who have a small child so it's disappointing that River Caves and Dora are both likely to be closed.

My guess is they will both miraculously open for the Easter weekend.

It's a simple case of cutting costs while the park is quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Is there any point in the park opening two weeks before all the others? It seems to be detrimental more than anything. I'd rather they spend two weeks getting the rides in shape.
Other than opening day [which was a disaster] , I am not ware of any major operational issues that haven't been advertised. Or am I wrong?

They should always do better, but I haven't heard of anything being detrimental since opening day.

Other than opening day [which was a disaster] , I am not ware of any major operational issues that haven't been advertised. Or am I wrong?

They should always do better, but I haven't heard of anything being detrimental since opening day.

Advertised or not. 7 ride closures is pretty poor. And that's before any other issues they have on the day.