• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Official statement just released
DTBx7NdW0AE4FNf.jpg

Isn’t that what was hurried out on Saturday?

Edit: Ah, yes it’s what was sent to a Coaster site but I guess it’s now ‘official’ & out there for all to see

Unsure, they've just posted it on their social media pages so I assumed it was their first statement, but you may well be correct

Sounds more like a general, newer is better get over it already and stop bitching type release I'd expect from Merlin tbh.

Mind you given the comments I saw on fakebook, mouse fans were a rare breed.

Sounds more like a general, newer is better get over it already and stop *****ing type release I'd expect from Merlin tbh.

Mind you given the comments I saw on fakebook, mouse fans were a rare breed.
Yes this appears to be the statement they would of gone with even if they were in control of the news coming out.

The quotes in the Blackpool Gazette adds more human touch but for BPB official they get none of that.

So... the obvious next question is what will they do with the space they are releasing?

I see them bulldozing through the tatty dome next winter, and making a promenade joining the Nash to Avalanche, to give the park a central North South spine once again.
Then they can demolish the ramp by the River Caves and the Bowladrome opposite to open up a nice chunk of land using the staff car park down there for something.

Last edited:
Suppose it may be dependent on whether the Watson road tunnel remains, it's shut over the winter so potentially the park might be able to get it closed for good.

They've also removed Trauma Towers, and in reality theres nothing of any use down the Heidi strasse until the ghost train so there's plenty of space. Especially with the Dome building removed. Could be that the freed up space they create could be used for other facilities such as an indoor restaurant/food court and some arcades. Then you could remove FY4, bowladrome (amazed it's still standing), blackhole building plus with the small carpark behind it and that's a lot of space freed up.

Why stop with the Bowldome? At this rate I can see Ghost Train going within a couple of years. Then River Caves, Alice, W&G... The Ice arena and fountains are obviously safe though.

Some quotes from Amanda Thompson in the Blackpool Gazette:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach has to change, that is what we are all about and has been since we first opened.
The one positive of this sorry affair is that the Nash, Dipper, Zipper Dipper, Noah's Ark and Flying Machines are all listed and there's not a thing Amanda can do about it, however much the park "has to change". I bet the PBE lot are dead against the listings, which only makes them more satisfying.

The one positive of this sorry affair is that the Nash, Dipper, Zipper Dipper, Noah's Ark and Flying Machines are all listed and there's not a thing Amanda can do about it, however much the park "has to change". I bet the PBE lot are dead against the listings, which only makes them more satisfying.

I find that rather unlikely. They would be somewhat stupid if they resented all of their vintage rides and ignored the obvious fact that they remain significantly popular (the Mouse did not).

Although I have fond memories of all the rides in that cluster the one I was most attached to has now been unceremoniously demolished.
The River Caves and Ghost train have seen decades of decay and are under maintained. W&G still has a few years left in it but it's an old ride system and could probably go too. Bowl-a-drome, the dome and the former Black Hole building together with the staff car park would open up a huge area of the park to redevelopment.
Ideally this would include a dark ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wonder if the park thought about doing a VR 360 video POV or 3D POV of wild mouse before they knocked it down ?

They could then use it in some cinema based attraction or at the very least shared it for people to enjoy.

My guess is that they haven't done this but it would be good if they have.

I know there are plenty of normal 2D POVs out there but a full 360 video would be great.

Last edited:
So... the obvious next question is what will they do with the space they are releasing?

I don't expect any new rides at all in this area.

Wasn't the rumour that the Ark was going to be demolished to have a completely new entrance area, but as that was grade II listed it couldn't happen? If so, wonder if they are now focusing on ripping out the bowladrome etc and putting the entrance there. Would make sense, building a new ticketing area / admissions and would help footfall for Ocean Boulevard.

Wouldn't it be ironic, if the Grade II listing of the Ark stopped then doing what they wanted at the entrance, so they moved their focus to a different area of the park and removed the mouse instead.

Unless she does what Towers are doing and tries fusing wood with fire......

;)

The listed rides are structurally safe, but they can be left sbno.
Just had it confirmed that due to existing legislation, the mouse can not be rebuilt anywhere else as it was not up to modern ride standards...And the insurance costs would be just as high for anyone else.
Can't see any new pathways going in through the centre of the park either, the infrastructure costs would be huge for no real benefit.
And Watson Rd can't be closed, almost impossible to close a long held public right of way, so the overpass is there long term.

Did you try getting the Ghost Train listed or would it be rejected due to the changes over the years?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.