• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
1 major incident like that in HOW many years of operation?

BURN IT DOWN IT'S A DEATHTRAP!

Big Dipper is fine, it's actually historic (compared to Southport's Cyclone) and an important part of Blackpool's history... Why people want it gone is beyond me, as I can't see many major ride types being able to squeeze into the spot instead...

If she removes the Mouse then she is no better than a vandal, a common lout who has somehow found her irresponsible hands at the wheel of one of the country's most valuable heritage jewels.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Benzin said:
1 major incident like that in HOW many years of operation?

Two, Actually. In the space of a Year. One serious incident where by two trains were dispatched (something which should not be possible) and one smashed into the back of the other. And another incident where by the train derailed. Both accidents on the same spot of the ride.

Sam said:
If she removes the Mouse then she is no better than a vandal, a common lout who has somehow found her irresponsible hands at the wheel of one of the country's most valuable heritage jewels.

LOL! Vandalism? It's their property! They can do what the hell they like with it. The ride is not Grade listed (neither is the Big Dipper) so it's up to them what they do with it. Just because you like it, doesn't make it vandalism.

Spike said:
LOL! Vandalism? It's their property! They can do what the hell they like with it. The ride is not Grade listed (neither is the Big Dipper) so it's up to them what they do with it. Just because you like it, doesn't make it vandalism.

Just because it's not listed does not mean it shouldn't be, and doesn't make it right to even contemplate destroying it. Someone with any passion for rides and heritage would not consider this and would put every effort into keeping it, which worries me for everything else at the park with the current management if this is how they are thinking.

Still, it seems far from confirmed at the moment.

pluk said:
Just because it's not listed does not mean it shouldn't be, and doesn't make it right to even contemplate destroying it.

None of the woodies can be listed, they have all under-gone changes of sorts which void them of ever being graded. Many people have tried to get them listed but have been told they can't. To my knowledge the only ride at PBB to be listed is The Flying Machines.

Then how is scenic railway at Margate listed? Things that have had changes over the years can still be listed, they still have a heritage value.

The key difference between the Scenic Railway and any Blackpool woodies is that it requires a brakeman operating on the train as opposed to one working on the station - so there's no braking system on the actual circuit itself.

Also, whilst about a third of the track was sadly lost to an arson attempt, I believe what is left is much older than most (if not all) of the Big Dipper.

I've heard from senior sources that it's almost certain the Wild Mouse will be demolished before the start of the 2013 season.

I hope you are made to look suitably embarrassed by this announcement Sam.

Not as a personal reason, but in hope that you are wrong!

What is with the people running our parks at present? They're custodians of a greater history, from which they get the opportunity to make themselves a good deal of money - and treat them this poorly, and with such disrespect.

Mandy, you do this, and I will boycott BPB until you leave. I find this extraordinary though Sam I have to say, I doubt it is true - not because I do not trust your word, but I don't believe anyone in charge of the safety of the public could be so dense.

TheMan said:
I hope you are made to look suitably embarrassed by this announcement Sam.

Not as a personal reason, but in hope that you are wrong!

Honestly, nothing would give me more delight.

You can make your feelings known about this (politely) by e-mailing [email protected]

I'd like everyone reading this to tweet your thoughts @MandsThompson

Remember to use the hashtags #blackpool and #savethemouse :)

I've left my twitter dormant for a while, but I will certainly start using it again for this.

I have a few... influential, quite well known followers shall we say.

Only one of them has to have a passion for it! Will wait though before I go full pelt at it, I'd had enough of Twitter. Appreciate the updates Sam.

If it is costing to run/maintain, mothball the thing for a season if absolutely necessary and repair it gradually - even on her latest tweets, all she seems to go on about is those shows!

Anyway I shall refrain from further judgement till more concrete word comes through.

I hope they're planning a suitable replacement for the 2014 season then, something equally as niche as the Wild Mouse for BPB.

They'll probably replace it with upgraded dodgems or some boring, hideous LED-ridden flat ride. :/

tumblr_mbawctKwBk1r6p397o1_500.jpg

techno4.jpg

After all, what is Blackpool Pleasure Beach without its classic and historic rides?

It wouldn't even be so bad if they sold the Mouse to keep it alive. :(

Has/ will there be an official announcement from the park?
We can't let them remove it, especially as I haven't ridden the mouse yet :(

It has a very low throughput and has had at least one injury-causing incident this year that I've been contacted about.

While it is a great ride and I don't want it to go, some people look at its age and label it as an untouchable relic on that basis only. In reality there is virtually nothing of the original 50s structure remaining, with a great amount of the wooden and metal components replaced over the years.

The park is operated by Conservatives, that's the only reason why we still have veteran rides there in the first place, but they will still wield the axe without hesitation where things are a financial liability.

If we all chipped in a fiver could we not just buy it off them?

I would say that the Dreamland Trust would take it but I think they already have King Solomon's Mine. They probably wouldn't want two wooden mice.

SamJ said:
Has/ will there be an official announcement from the park?
We can't let them remove it, especially as I haven't ridden the mouse yet :(

Going off Bling, Gold Mine and Superbowl in rescent years, probably not.
Last time I remember an official closure announcement was with the Log Flume back in 2006.

If Wild Mouse is confirmed to be staying on the park's line-up for next year, that is the only instance i'll purchase a BPB annual pass for next year. However, it'll be the Southport Cyclone counter-action situation all over again as soon as a splinter is taken off the Mouse's structure if it is to be removed.

AstroDan said:
Wild Mouse > King Solomon

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I've stared at this post for several minutes and I still can't work out what it means.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.