• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I honestly don't see the point in the W&G ride, don't understand what market it's aimed at. Kids have already been catered for by Nick Land - so is this to be aimed at older children? Or is it just an idea shoved in to save having to pay to demolish the Goldmine building?

TheMan said:
£5m Nick land, doesn't sound too bad really to completely redo a whole area? The same figures hinted at for the W&G ride though?

I had a bit of an inside source into that early on, but never got any figures or owt - just that it was going to be built, so I have no more ideas now than anyone else unfortunately.

The cost of the W&G development (including the retheme, shop and other related works) has been officially given as £5.25 million. The LEP loan/grant figure hasn't been given however as far as i'm aware.

Seems a lot of money that does.

Saying that though, if it is a clever attraction, it could be quite good. I'm a big W&G fan, but even I wonder if it has had it's day. Even Nick has moved on to developing more motion pictures etc, rather than focusing on that brand so much!

I love this brand, and if they do it well it could be great fun, but without a good transit system or ride in place, in a relatively small footprint, will it have that re-ride factor?

I never went on the goldmine - are they keeping the same track? What was it like?

Suggesting a Mack Launch Coaster to the scale of Project Helix...

Where would it go?

That's the problem with Blackpool, big layout rides are relatively difficult to fit into the park without serious levels of ride removals, some of which, aren't particularly favourable to many because of the sheer historic value of many of the park's attractions that might need removal...

Blackpool are stuck in a tricky situation of keeping nostalgia against new 'modern' additions... Although if they removed the Grand Prix and maybe even Avalanche could maybe squeeze sommat in there... But it's a difficult situation with the lack of space available and the choices required...

I don't know enough of sizes, ability to fit etc to make an educated comment Benzin - a few have posted maps etc though which seem to suggest it could be done with minimal impact?

I just hear great things about those Macks, particularly Blue Fire, could be a coup to get one in - even if it is a bit smaller?

I think some good indicators of space were posted a few months ago on the thread, but I can't seem to find them. There is more than enough space for new rides/catering/shops without having to remove anything.

The green area in this bird's eye diagram represents currently unobstructed free space, yellow for potential removals if required, and red for rides that have little possibility of being removed (going off recent renovations and popularity).

That's what I was on about Adam, well done that man!

That shows just how much room they do have in relative terms. If you can't fit a coaster in there, what's wrong with you!

Look at the tiny footprint nemmy has, and SW7, Blivvy even. Using those as examples as (well hopefully the new one too) world class rides in small space, you could fit 3 Nemmys in that main green space alone.

The Mack coaster is an obsession, I want someone over here to build a decent sized one!

Merlin generally seem to be having affairs with Intamin and B&M, making a threesome most recently with Gerst.

Blackpool getting a world class Mack would set them apart, just the same as (like it or not lol) the Big One does. Personally by the way, I love the Big One. It's the only monstrosity of it's kind in this Country, and there are few better night rides than that beast of a climb/drop during illuminations week!

Surely no one can contest that?

It's a shame it's just awful after it's first drop...

The park do need a new coaster though.

It's the fastest bit of a sight seeing ride there is at Blackpool - ok, it's not thrills a plenty after the main drop, which is a shame I agree! But I love it still.

Kinda like you still love a big dumb muddy slobbery dog.

TheMan said:
That's what I was on about Adam, well done that man!

That shows just how much room they do have in relative terms. If you can't fit a coaster in there, what's wrong with you!

Look at the tiny footprint nemmy has, and SW7, Blivvy even. Using those as examples as (well hopefully the new one too) world class rides in small space, you could fit 3 Nemmys in that main green space alone.

The Mack coaster is an obsession, I want someone over here to build a decent sized one!

Merlin generally seem to be having affairs with Intamin and B&M, making a threesome most recently with Gerst.

Blackpool getting a world class Mack would set them apart, just the same as (like it or not lol) the Big One does. Personally by the way, I love the Big One. It's the only monstrosity of it's kind in this Country, and there are few better night rides than that beast of a climb/drop during illuminations week!

Surely no one can contest that?

I wouldn't be complaining if they got a B&M - especially if it were a sitdown. That'd set them apart as well as a Mack because there isn't one in this country, despite the numerous other B&M installations.

Obviously a Mack launch would be preferable given the current offerings at the park, but who knows - maybe Mr Bolliger would be up for a Hulk clone?

It's a good point that!

Though I like the look of Blue Fire as it has, dare I say it, a more "normal" looking car!

Perhaps that is precisely the reason a B&M sit down would be better. I'm sold. A sit down launched B&M it is.

Actually, no I'm not, I still want a Big Mack ;D

250px-McD-Big-Mac.jpg

FTW!

Regardless of the manufacturer, any new, large custom coaster would be brilliant even if it was a Vekoma. If Battlestar Galactica is any indication, they may have finally sorted out their act. Although, I also thought this when they first built Velocity. I turned out to be wrong.

Personally, I think an Intamin Blitz weaving its way around the bridge area would be fantastic.

Edited for correctness, Transformers is not a Rollercoaster!

AstroDan said:
PBB have a superb relationship with Europa-Park and Mack Rides...

Dude, what am I missing here, the "..." suggests something that I am unfamiliar with?

TheMan said:
AstroDan said:
PBB have a superb relationship with Europa-Park and Mack Rides...

Dude, what am I missing here, the "..." suggests something that I am unfamiliar with?

They do have a good relationship with Mack, what with Avalanche being a Mack and their new Nick Land Twist n Splash ride being Mack also. Not sure about the Europa connection though?

The Psychoaster said:
They do have a good relationship with Mack, what with Avalanche being a Mack and their new Nick Land Twist n Splash ride being Mack also. Not sure about the Europa connection though?

Amanda Thompson worked at Europa for many years on the shows, before taking over PBB. :)

Sam said:
The Psychoaster said:

Amanda Thompson worked at Europa for many years on the shows, before taking over PBB. :)

Ah, I see. I would expect the first manufacturer they would turn to if they did plan a thrill coaster to be Mack then. on that basis. It's obviously a huge plus that their recent coasters and planned coasters all look amazing.

I got that little buzz of enthusiast excitement at those posts!!

Now - did they leave on good or bad terms? ;D

Mandy, put on some shows for them as a down payment on my dream coaster, please!

I'll come up and knock the Mouse down for you if you do that. (joke guys, joke!!)

I never knew that though Sam, and honestly, I know I say it a fair bit now but some of the knowledge on here is quite ridiculous - you're like coaster/park walking encyclopedias! Fascinating. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.