• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Don't know what the moaning is about?

Blackpool Pleasure Beach always had an edge over, say, Alton Towers - because the park didn't attract the queues. This was partly because of pay-per-ride in the 90s - so every dispatch counted, and also because there were simply so many rides.

A combination of removal of pay-per-ride, the removal of a number of rides, introduction of Speedy Pass and gradual decrease in ride throughputs due to H&S and/or other, has meant that queues at BPB are quite long.

Of course you expect it to be busy at the end of August - that in itself is not a problem. It is how parks react to it.

On Saturday, another irk (which I went to guest services about!) was that Grand National and Ghost Train both closed at 9.45pm due to Technical Problems... when every other ride had closed by 9.00pm due to the fireworks, it was disappointing to arrive at Ghost Train at 9.50pm to ride and be turned away. Especially as we had left it because the ride had had a 40 minute queue all day long. Then National aswell. I advised Guest Services it was 'dubious' that the two rides had 'had technical problems' at 9.45pm. The gentleman didn't disagree.
The exact same thing happened to me on Grand National on the late night close earlier in August, closed by 9:30pm - terrible!

Pretty sure it happened to us on Dipper at last year's summer meet. We were all strapped in and ready for dispatch as well.

Grand National shutting early for technical issues is disgustingly common. Too common in fact for it to be a coincidence. I’m amazed that management haven’t done anything, because let’s face it, it’s just done so the staff have less to do and can leave early.

Grand National shutting early for technical issues is disgustingly common. Too common in fact for it to be a coincidence. I’m amazed that management haven’t done anything, because let’s face it, it’s just done so the staff have less to do and can leave early.
Because management don't care, it probably means they can leave early too.

It's a disgrace really as Nash is one of the rides that really comes alive after dark.

At least in 2015 The Big One staff had the courtesy to basically inform the queue line they couldn't be arsed as they'd been there all day and we should all go to Nash instead...

This is one area BPB had, on paper at least, improved on in recent years. Previously the policy was that last rides were at closing time, with the queue closed ahead of time to ensure this was the case. The result inevitably would be that you'd head to, say, PMBO with 30 minutes to go and it would be shut, so you'd go to Nash only for them to close the gate as you pass Trauma Towers. Mouse would be long closed with the lights off and the staff gone, Dipper has then also shut by the time you get back to the top of the ramp so you'd end up riding Infusion last as it had run off the queue and was the only major ride still open.

Gave up on end of day riding years ago because of closure issues.
Must add I had a great full day on park with a family group yesterday, with the annual speedypass, we got a VIP one this year (because of a good season pass discount), the middle tier one, you do half the queue time.
Except you didn't, it was about a quarter of the queue time, and as it wasn't too busy, I was dragged around about two dozen rides on the day, absolutely shattering for an old git.
Bring on Monday shakey.
Edit...
Sorry Jamie, completely unacceptable.

Why do BPB allow the staff on rides to close as they seem to wish?

At Alton Towers, there is a call made from control and all rides close at exactly the same time (usually 1 to 5 minutes later than the advertised ride close).

It is basic professionalism.

The decisions are taken by on-the-ground management/supervision. Ride operators don't unilaterally decide to close down rides when they wish.

*over the radio*
Ride Manager: Grand National receiving.., you're clear to tell guests you've broken down 15 minutes early tonight. Over".
This. I don't think the management care in all honesty, if it gets then home earlier they'll close early.

Don't think that call is made by the ride manager...
I think it is often ..."At the start of the last hour...first time someone throws up on the ride or platform we shut for the day."
The park has many layers of management, and splits down further between north and south park.
The indifference of management highlights the difference between corporate Merlin and family firm BPB.
Not that I defend them for doing it.
Just another of the strange mysteries of the Beach...how some staff get away with what they do is most amusing.

I'll rephrase that then.

Some form of management: Grand National receiving.., you're clear to tell guests you've broken down 15 minutes early tonight. Over".

Visited today and was great to see how busy the place was throughout the day.

They really need to do something about the national, my restraint went down fully on the first drop and the entire ride was painful. Was running better in February.

Visited today and was great to see how busy the place was throughout the day.

They really need to do something about the national, my restraint went down fully on the first drop and the entire ride was painful. Was running better in February.

Wriggle forward in your seat, or push your gut out (not too hard for some of us) then the bar can’t be pushed down hard by the staff. I don’t think they have sensors like more modern coasters, so some play is allowed with those lap bars. If that wasn’t possible and you got pinned like on Thirteen, it would be an awful ride every time.

Then try to keep an arm under the bar, on the lift hill & during the first drop, all the way round if you like. On a recent visit I got complacent and forgot to hold the bar off me, and also got pinned on the first drop. It was a horrendous ride from there onwards. I really can see why some people would hate the ride. I’m a big fan of Nash but to me it’s only bearable if I can stop that lap bar slamming right down on me. Not a fan of the stupid between seat divide either.

That's because your behind is bigger than most dippy.
I'm a good boy me, always have the seat belt nice and tight and the lap bar pulled fully down.
Just don't let the staff see you rising up out of your seat as they go on their break next to the track.
They tend to beat you about the head the next time you are locked into your seat.
All done with a smile of course.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.