• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In my opinion, all Grand National needs is a retrack and/or some more comfortable trains; the layout alone would probably be right up there with Megafobia and Wicker Man as one of my favourite UK woodies if it were smoother, but the ride was just too brutal for me to enjoy.

It's not my least favourite coaster at Pleasure Beach, though; I still prefer it to Big One, Steeplechase and Infusion!

Big One is (or at least can be) pretty rough. It’s also not got the best layout. Having said that, it remains the most popular and iconic ride in the park.

On the basis that it still attracts the crowds, there’s no business reason I can see for it to be reprofiled, RMC’d or whatever else. It’s just not going to happen until that business reason exists.
Crazy to think they're already replaced half the track and it's still rough.

From a business perspective, the coaster line up could potentially be harming the park and their reputation. Big One, Dipper, Infusion and Nash are all contenders for the most uncomfortable ride in Europe and they're all within the same park.

We excuse them because of their heritage and charm, but the general public don't have that attachment. Why would they revisit the park regularly when Alton Towers for example have a smooth and modern coaster line up?

Big One - take off the square wheels and put round ones on.

Grand national - new trains/retrack.

Infusion - throw it in the sea.

Big Dipper - probably just leave it tbf.

As someone who has only visited Pleasure Beach once in the last 10 years, I can confirm some of your thoughts. There was little joy to be found riding Big Dipper and Grand National. I was more concerned about suffering long lasting vertebral damage, quite honestly. I have no real desire to ride them again. Big One was closed because it was windy, but I must have been lucky with Infusion as I had a pretty pleasurable ride on that. Weird, I know.

From a business perspective, the coaster line up could potentially be harming the park and their reputation. Big One, Dipper, Infusion and Nash are all contenders for the most uncomfortable ride in Europe and they're all within the same park.

We excuse them because of their heritage and charm, but the general public don't have that attachment. Why would they revisit the park regularly when Alton Towers for example have a smooth and modern coaster line up?

Because, believe it or not, the 'roughness' of coasters like the woodies perhaps IS part of the charm to some people. Of course I've heard negative comments from the GP coming off them, but I have also heard riotous laughter and seen people go straight back round for another ride. The one advantage enthusiasts should have (obviously depending on how often they've visited the park and how many seats they've tried out) is knowing what rows to avoid. The GP won't have this knowledge initially, I myself had a shockingly rough ride on row 6 of Nash this season, and I can see how a member of the GP would have never wanted to ride it again after such a ride. I was able to chalk it up to experience and now avoid the wheel seats wherever possible. We shouldn't HAVE to do that, I agree, but I'd rather pick a favourable seat than see the ride removed. I agree with @venny and @Matt N that the layout of Nash is superb. Surely some retracking and new trains would give Nash a much needed new lease of life. Sadly I don't think that BPB are going to do this to please 20 people on the internet. I have only visited one European park outside of the UK, but I love BPB and don't really see the point in comparing it to other parks because it is so unique.

As someone who has only visited Pleasure Beach once in the last 10 years, I can confirm some of your thoughts. There was little joy to be found riding Big Dipper and Grand National. I was more concerned about suffering long lasting vertebral damage, quite honestly. I have no real desire to ride them again.

Its a shame you feel like this, I can't recall which rows you rode on, but for me its only back row on Dipper that is genuinely a bit too rough. I rode on it recently next to my brother and it was so bad that we were laughing the whole way round, almost in disbelief at the absolute shoulder bashing we were getting. Would be worse if you were sat next to a stranger! I appreciate not everyone can visit any given park frequently due to travelling distance, etc, but it seems a shame to judge two classic rides after one ride on each a decade. But we all have our opinions, otherwise forums would be boring places. I was just being a little defensive about seeing two of my favourite rides getting bashed. But then I'm not a big Nemmy fan so who am I to comment? <lights blue touchpaper>

Because, believe it or not, the 'roughness' of coasters like the woodies perhaps IS part of the charm to some people. Of course I've heard negative comments from the GP coming off them, but I have also heard riotous laughter and seen people go straight back round for another ride. The one advantage enthusiasts should have (obviously depending on how often they've visited the park and how many seats they've tried out) is knowing what rows to avoid. The GP won't have this knowledge initially, I myself had a shockingly rough ride on row 6 of Nash this season, and I can see how a member of the GP would have never wanted to ride it again after such a ride. I was able to chalk it up to experience and now avoid the wheel seats wherever possible. We shouldn't HAVE to do that, I agree, but I'd rather pick a favourable seat than see the ride removed. I agree with @venny and @Matt N that the layout of Nash is superb. Surely some retracking and new trains would give Nash a much needed new lease of life. Sadly I don't think that BPB are going to do this to please 20 people on the internet. I have only visited one European park outside of the UK, but I love BPB and don't really see the point in comparing it to other parks because it is so unique.
Yeah I get it's all part of the woodie experience, but only to a certain extent. There's a big difference between rough and painful.

Wodan for example, that's a rough coaster but it's fun, intense and re-ridable. It's got that out of control woodie feeling but you don't come off feeling battered.

Personally I really enjoy Grand National. But a modernised version of that brilliant layout could be a huge hit.

Wodan for example, that's a rough coaster but it's fun, intense and re-ridable. It's got that out of control woodie feeling but you don't come off feeling battered.

You just summed up Wild Mouse! :D

I was on the very back row of Dipper and the very front of Grand National. I'm guessing I did not choose wisely :laughing:

Back row of Dipper is by far the worst. I don't find Nash front row too bad. Plus you get to drive!

The old and unique rides are what makes Pleasure Beach the Pleasure Beach, if we lose them and the park only has modern rides, it wouldn't be anywhere near as diverse IMO.

Take Icon for example, better (or similar) examples can be found elsewhere. Can the same be said for some of BPB's more unique coasters?

You are forgetting the listing...upgrade and replacement of individual timbers is ok, structural changes are basically not permitted, at least not easily, it has to go up to the big committee, English Heritage get to say no etc.

Take Icon for example, better (or similar) examples can be found elsewhere. Can the same be said for some of BPB's more unique coasters?
Are there better examples of racing woodies and out and back woodies out there? Probably! There seems to be a severe lack of maintenance and no willingness to improve or upgrade these classic rides at PB which could be the best examples in the world.

You are forgetting the listing...upgrade and replacement of individual timbers is ok, structural changes are basically not permitted, at least not easily, it has to go up to the big committee, English Heritage get to say no etc.
Out of interest, which rides are listed at PB?

Last edited:
I think the Big One could benefit from trailered trains, most of its roughness comes from how square it takes the corners

I’ve had no contact from the park at all about renewing. I think in past years they’ve either phoned or emailed renewal offers out.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.