• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Reading between the lines here, it seems to me that some people are wishing BPB would turn in to a clone of Liseberg.
... Why not just go to Liseberg? ;)

Whilst there’s a lot to like about Liseberg, I sincerely hope that BPB does not turn into Liseberg. In fact, it would be very concerning if this happened.

It would mean Blackpool ends up with:

Absolutely no dark rides,

Pretty much all their other historical rides bulldozed,

...and perhaps most concerning, €9 beers!

Whilst there’s a lot to like about Liseberg, I sincerely hope that BPB does not turn into Liseberg. In fact, it would be very concerning if this happened.

It would mean Blackpool ends up with:

Absolutely no dark rides,

Pretty much all their other historical rides bulldozed,

...and perhaps most concerning, €9 beers!
This!

I disagree. If Blackpool became more like Liseberg it would become a better park. Okay you could argue it would be slightly samey but Liseberg have added incredibly well since Helix. Better than most parks in Europe I'd say. The coasters have been great and the flat rides too.

Also Liseberg isn't an easy place to get to from some parts of the UK. Not many, if any, direct flights from the North of England so it's hardly going to be an issue of it was the same. 99% of PB's clientele will never have been to Liseberg. 75% probably never heard of it.

I must say I always enjoy a strange discussion,and this is definitely one of those...
I don't usually comment on parks I haven't been to, but on this occasion.
Venny, don't be concerned, I really, sincerely believe that BPB will never turn into
Liseberg...the chances of it happening are very slight indeed.
I'm more concerned about the Donald turning into Pamela Anderson...now that is a worry.

The first rumours of the Donald Pamela transmogrification came out shortly after the death of Manilow...
Sadly the tweets have been deleted, but keep watching the skies.

Anything other than a coaster replacing the Bowl-a-Drome is a huge waste, taking into account the space it'd leave behind, the car park behind it, the empty space left by the Mouse and Trauma Towers is a huge amount of space, especially if they do end up getting rid of the 'FY4 catering' area as well.

I think the lack of interest in Skyforce beyond its first season will also have anyone making the decisions thinking twice about future flat ride purchases.

I think the lack of interest in Skyforce beyond its first season will also have anyone making the decisions thinking twice about future flat ride purchases.

The problem with skyforce was that after the 1st season they removed the electronic scoreboard that counted your spins.

It was a good interactive feature that greatly improved the ride and without it the ride is quite poor. Certainly not worth the £2m they paid for it.

I'm sure a bog standard Waltzer or Twister would be more popular, and better throughput !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s also in a rather awkward position, with very little in the way of passing traffic. Flat rides have a proven track record, but they need to be the right ride, presented correctly and in the right location.

It looks like BPB will be closed some Mondays and Tuesdays off peak during May, September and October going off the recently loaded booking dates on the calendar.

I couldn't really blame them for that if it's true as some days they can have less than 500 booked in during term time. Just glad my midweek day off is now Wednesday though!!

The earliest ride close for most Saturdays and throughout Easter and October Half Term has been reduced to 6pm.

Progress...

Have Merlin quietly taken over?
It makes you wonder if the rumours about Icon not having the desired impact are actually true with these couple of changes by the park. That said most ride ops I know were saying that Icon had led to an increase in guests.

Always used to close on two (varied) weekdays in early season.
Makes sense...Sadly...but self centred, weak and inward looking as I am, I will miss the drop of the hat afternoon visit with dippy, organised at the last minute, where punters are outnumbered by staff at a ratio of 2 to 1.
Time to buy a calander.

A few years ago it used to be Tuesday and Wednesday they closed off peak, from a purely selfish standpoint I'm glad that's not the case in 2019 as it would have limited my visits a little.

It does make sense not just for financial reasons but operational as well. Hopefully it will lead to less downtime on rides you get at those times of year for maintenance.

Well tbh these opening times are the same as this year. Throughout most of Easter even though the website stated a 7pm close, the park closed at 6pm.

It's terrible, a few years back it was consistently 8pm close during the summer, half terms, illuminations and most Saturdays if I recall correctly. None of this closing up to 2 hours early when they feel like it either.

Considering they've just opened a £16+ million pound coaster the park should be going from strength to strength, but their failure is all down to their own mistakes and refusal to see that they're doing anything wrong.

I'd have seen the off peak closures as sensible if they were using the hours to open later during busy periods, but as it currently appears it's just another cutback.

They've well and truly ruined the place.

I guess they can just about get away with running the park so poorly because it’s Merlin who run the rest of the major parks in the country :(

I haven’t actually visited Pleasure Beach yet, because in complete honesty, there hasn’t really been anything to make me want to visit... not even Icon (there’s no rush, right?). And I doubt reduced operating times will sway anyone like me to want to visit in the near future.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.