• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm sure they'll do that sometime. S&S were going to do a Revolution-style coaster first, but someone from the PB (can't remember who :oops:) asked them to do the steeplechase instead.
Spending a lot of money on a coaster with the end result of it being the same ride (as far as the general public is concerned), would be very risky.

They couldn't even get more people through the gates with a shiny new £16m coaster so i cant see them spending loads on updating an existing one for what could be little benefit.

Not saying that it wouldn't be good, but just can't see it happening.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’d like to see gaps such as Trauma Towers and Wild Mouse filled before we unveil more empty concrete.
Anyone think an El Loco like Mumbo Jumbo or Steel Hawg might go on the sight of the poor Mousey?! I've never ridden Mumbo Jumbo but most people give positive reviews about it and say it's quite good. It's compact as well I fully understand it will never be the same as Mousey even if we do get one!

So if they'd stuck with Intamin and kept the Viking theme and many of the non-water effects, but built, say, a Multi Motion Dark Ride (this model here: https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/pharaohs-fury/), then you don't think the ride would be having so many problems now?

Or if it were an enclosed coaster, one could have argued that it was the spiritual successor to Space Invader 2!
EDIT: Admittedly, I'm not sure this model existed when Valhalla was built, but I hope you get my general idea.

These EMV dark rides are excellent and most certainly would've been far more successful, reliable, rideable and overall better investment-wise than Valhalla was. Why on earth GT ever thought that something as wet as it would succeed in the north of England is beyond me. Imagine having something akin to Indiana Jones Adventure in our backyards...

Anyone think an El Loco like Mumbo Jumbo or Steel Hawg might go on the sight of the poor Mousey?! I've never ridden Mumbo Jumbo but most people give positive reviews about it and say it's quite good. It's compact as well I fully understand it will never be the same as Mousey even if we do get one!

I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone ever praise an El Loco, even the guy that bought it at flamingoland said it was a waste of money when he got off his first go!

I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone ever praise an El Loco, even the guy that bought it at flamingoland said it was a waste of money when he got off his first go!
Is this true? If it is true, then that doesn't exactly sound like a compelling promotion for your park's new ride!

I've never actually ridden an El Loco before, and I think they look pretty fun, compact rides; a great thrill in a small package, if you like!

Agreed. The El Loco is mediocre at best. As hit and miss as they are, I would consider the Eurofighter a much better model if you’re looking for a beyond vertical drop. The El Loco is to the Eurofigher as the Volair is to the B&M flyer. Ok, maybe not that bad, but not far off.

With regards to Steeplechase it’ll all be a case of weighing up the pros and cons. On the one hand it sprawls, but on the other, what can make use of that space without having to work around Icon and Big Dipper? Do you remove it knowing you’ll never be able to do much else with the space (certainly in terms of a decent coaster), or do you look into ways to refurb it and prolong its life (it still seems to pull riders whenever I visit, and I wouldn’t call it a bad ride).

You also need to consider what issues it faces. Yes, it’s old, but that doesn’t mean everything about it is a liability.

For instance, if it’s the restraint system being deemed no longer suitable (which I really wouldn’t be surprised by) I’m sure it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to commission someone like S&S who already have a base design to create a bespoke set of vehicles which can use the existing track and station with minimal modification. It’d be a much more cost effective way to bring the ride up to scratch than completely rebuilding it if there’s no real need.

Stranger things have certainly happened.

Agreed. The El Loco is mediocre at best. As hit and miss as they are, I would consider the Eurofighter a much better model if you’re looking for a beyond vertical drop. The El Loco is to the Eurofigher as the Volair is to the B&M flyer. Ok, maybe not that bad, but not far off.

With regards to Steeplechase it’ll all be a case of weighing up the pros and cons. On the one hand it sprawls, but on the other, what can make use of that space without having to work around Icon and Big Dipper? Do you remove it knowing you’ll never be able to do much else with the space (certainly in terms of a decent coaster), or do you look into ways to refurb it and prolong its life (it still seems to pull riders whenever I visit, and I wouldn’t call it a bad ride).

You also need to consider what issues it faces. Yes, it’s old, but that doesn’t mean everything about it is a liability.

For instance, if it’s the restraint system being deemed no longer suitable (which I really wouldn’t be surprised by) I’m sure it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to commission someone like S&S who already have a base design to create a bespoke set of vehicles which can use the existing track and station with minimal modification. It’d be a much more cost effective way to bring the ride up to scratch than completely rebuilding it if there’s no real need.

Don't give Pleasure Beach any ideas about installing Zamperla Volares. Isn't one already enough in the country?!:p

Actually, knowing pleasure beach they will probably spend a fortune making modifications and then rip the whole ride out over winter !

(And yes I am still bitter!)

Actually, knowing pleasure beach they will probably spend a fortune making modifications and then rip the whole ride out over winter !

(And yes I am still bitter!)
True. I don't blame you for being bitter. This is a big but fair enough statement. It's one of if not the most missed attraction in the UK. Along with Bubbleworks and a few others.

I’d like to see gaps such as Trauma Towers and Wild Mouse filled before we unveil more empty concrete.
This!

Steeplechase is such a fun unique ride and one that only Pleasure Beach can pull off, removal should not be an option IMO. If it has to have modifications to prolong its life, so be it.

Imagine if Steeplechase went, how bare the park would be. North park already looks desolate and abandoned in places (Mouse and Trauma's empty space and now Valhalla SBNO), closing Steeple as well would leave the park's offering very sparse.

Did anyone know that Arrow Dynamics built these following rides at the Pleasure Beach:
. Grand Prix
. Alice's Wonderland (Walt Disney were involved in making it as well)
. Gold Mine- (Built in house at Pleasure Beach with more help from Arrow and Disney)
And then of course we have the main coaster:
. Steeplechase
. Revolution
. PMBO which is now The Big Monorail:p

Did anyone know that Arrow Dynamics built these following rides at the Pleasure Beach:
. Grand Prix
. Alice's Wonderland (Walt Disney were involved in making it as well)
. Gold Mine- (Built in house at Pleasure Beach with more help from Arrow and Disney)
And then of course we have the main coaster:
. Steeplechase
. Revolution
. PMBO which is now The Big Monorail:p
Yes.

I'd imagine any works on Steeplechase would still focus on the same clearance envelope and use very very similar wheelsets etc to make it need as little work as possible. Can't see it going, it's a novelty and gets a queue.

Is this true? If it is true, then that doesn't exactly sound like a compelling promotion for your park's new ride!

I've never actually ridden an El Loco before, and I think they look pretty fun, compact rides; a great thrill in a small package, if you like!

Don't worry, he didn't say it in public but the local area is pretty small and word gets round the tradesmen that have worked on the park!

The idea is good, the layout is fun, but they could be a lot more fun with better cars and restraints, S&S really do insist on the separate shoulder and lap restraints for some reason and they just suck.

Don't worry, he didn't say it in public but the local area is pretty small and word gets round the tradesmen that have worked on the park!

The idea is good, the layout is fun, but they could be a lot more fun with better cars and restraints, S&S really do insist on the separate shoulder and lap restraints for some reason and they just suck.
I think some of the newer El Locos, like the one at Adventuredome and Green Lantern at Warner Bros Movie World, do have just lap bars (or at least updated restraints), which might make them a little more enjoyable.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.