• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't think building a coaster in the Space Invader structure would be a smart move.

When they finally give up on the Valhalla ride system, they will likely stick a coaster in there. Mack Water Coaster, anyone?

But... they need to let RMC lose with the Big One before that. The structure would be perfect for supporting some I-Box goodness. There was so much lateral movement in the trains yesterday, it was horrible.

I'd rather Chance-Morgan had a go at the Big One, make the layout as good as it should have been when it was built, and let RMC loose on the National and Big Dipper.

Last October the National was virtually unrideable, even sitting in the middle seats of the train. If they can't afford to fully RMC it then at least get some proper trains on it that won't constantly destroy the structure, and get someone competent in to refurbish the braking and control system. It shouldn't take 5 minutes to park a train in the station! :p

The Big Dipper isn't rough or painful to me, I just find it boring. It goes up and down in a straight line, turns around and comes back in a straight line. It would be nice to see something done with it. Unless it's on the chopping block for Project 2018?

I think for me the Nash could be re-tracked by RMC but keep the same layout (maybe bank the turns slightly) as it's a great coaster. I do agree with Dar it is getting to the point of being unridable, which is a shame.

Big Dipper? just get rid. I can't stand the ride. :imp:

Leave the Big One, Big Dipper, Grand National and any other BPB coaster alone! They do not need modifying.

Infusion...? ;)

I understand why some wouldn't want coasters like Big Dipper and Grand National to be modified - they're classics and clearly hold a lot of sentimental value. That being said I think there is massive room for improvement on both; Dipper is horrible in either the front or back rows of each car and Nash is very uncomfortable these days and hardly thrilling.

:)

Infusion...? ;)

I understand why some wouldn't want coasters like Big Dipper and Grand National to be modified - they're classics and clearly hold a lot of sentimental value. That being said I think there is massive room for improvement on both; Dipper is horrible in either the front or back rows of each car and Nash is very uncomfortable these days and hardly thrilling.

:)
I enjoyed both Big Dipper and Grand National in the front/back/other seats last week, just as raucous and thrilling as ever.

The only change the woodies need is capacity (and the old trains/station system back on National).

Infusion is alright, I quite like it when it's running well but that seems to be increasingly rare as of late.

Not to revisit the 'comfort vs. thrill' debate that has been raked over endlessly on this forum over the years, but the PMBO is literally broken in parts, and has been for some years. Is some of the track still reinforced by temporary metal welds? It's like riding over a junkyard these days.

Not to revisit the 'comfort vs. thrill' debate that has been raked over endlessly on this forum over the years, but the PMBO is literally broken in parts, and has been for some years. Is some of the track still reinforced by temporary metal welds? It's like riding over a junkyard these days.
Never heard that one before! I know the track takes a battering from the sea salt, but it's still perfectly safe to operate otherwise it wouldn't. They do have to re-weld sections each year due to corrosion from the sea salt, which can't be avoided really.

Admittedly the Big One could be renamed The Pharaoh given the pyramid shaped hills.

But these are iconic structures and rides.

"We need more woodies in the UK".

"Turn two of the most iconic woodies in the UK to fake woodies or rip them down".

You'd only ask for them to rebuild them 10 years later... Scenic Railway anyone?

The Big Dippper IS Blackpool. As is the Nash and Wild Mouse, the piers and the Tower.

They probably do need work, I've not ridden them for a few years now, but to hear "enthusiasts" talk about tearing down heritage rides in this manner I actually find ridiculous.

A retrack will sort the problems. If you look at the improvement retracking parts of Stampida has made, the same on the Nash would be fantastic and still retain the original quality.

I think the boneshaker old woodies should be left alone,
apart from the crap system on the National platform,
spend the pennies on nice shiny new coasters instead.

Their TLC would include popping glasses fences down the side of the track and adding potted plants throughout the ride areas and station platforms.

Grand National had several sections retracked in September/October last year (it was closed midweek and some weekends for the work to take place), Big Dipper had a considerable section replaced over this past winter, and Wild Mouse has had the two airtime hills past the station retracked over the winter.

As well as this, the standard wood replacement has taken place on the structure, track etc...

It's great they are doing these track replacements in sections, but surely a major retracking of a whole ride would make for a better outcome. They have enough rides to close one of the woodies each year to do each major overhule.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.