• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The problem with trains is they are just far too expensive if you want to travel anywhere further than your local area.

I live on the Worksop/Nottingham branch line and I can get a return to Nottingham for less than £10 (about 30 miles taking just under an hour). A return to Sheffield is a similar price and just over an hour. Not bad for an evening out if you don't want to drive.

But try going further afield and it just isn't worth it. A return to Blackpool from my local station is £55 , requires 4 changes and takes 5 hours to get there !!

London to Blackpool return is nearly £100

Last edited:
London to Blackpool was going to be operated by Grand Central, they are an open access company which means that they didn't get government support. Was going to be cheaper than Avanti West Coast and have nicer trains! Would have provided connections from the Midlands at Rugby and Nuneaton direct to Blackpool. London to Blackpool will still be possible with Avanti...

If you were traveling from Nuneaton I would recommend going to Coventry and getting the direct service to Blackpool North, much nicer than changing at Preston.

...you just have to change at Preston.
There's a handful of direct services now, which Virgin launched when the Grand Central plans were formalised (after years of saying there was insufficient demand...).

There are/were supposed to be direct trains from Sheffield, which would help the situation for travel from Worksop considerably.

There's a handful of direct services now, which Virgin launched when the Grand Central plans were formalised (after years of saying there was insufficient demand...).

There are/were supposed to be direct trains from Sheffield, which would help the situation for travel from Worksop considerably.
As it stands, you would need to change at Manchester Piccadilly if going from Sheffield to Blackpool with the first leg on EMR/TPE and the second leg on Northern.

I can't find anything about it now annoyingly. IIRC it was supposed to be part of the Northern Connect network (and possibly an infrequent extension rather than an hourly service). Looks like all that was dumped by Arriva though...

Unless you live in London (where public transport is incredibly cheap and available plentifully), then getting the train, or any other form of public transport, is going to cost you a fortune.

I’m in a bit of a London bubble and often forget how expensive it is once you step outside the London travel zones. No matter how far in advance you book, sadly driving to Blackpool is now always a much cheaper and more convenient option, hence why very few people opt to take trains over driving, hence why the transport companies don’t have the funds to run additional service, and so the viscous circle continues to go round and round and round.

Simple solution to all this travel stuff. Move to the North West!

School kids back now. Just nerds, a few students & middle aged couples on the park midweek. Not many queues. Absolute bliss. Free beer & seafood for the over 40s at Madame Crevettes tomorrow.

Stunning day today.
Had entry issues due to no phone, but redcoat entry staff were brilliant.
Sunshine, walk ons all afternoon, beer and good company.
Only negative point was dippy farting all the way round on Doras world voyage.

I second that the park was empty today. Got through Big Blue South entrance and managed Icon 1st Train and also sky force. Did a few others and then left the park about 2pm so didn't manage until close.

Just the headache from Big Dippper followed staight away by Infusion did me in.

Just sitting in the Big Blue now in my room overlooking the Pleasure Beach

I second that the park was empty today. Got through Big Blue South entrance and managed Icon 1st Train and also sky force. Did a few others and then left the park about 2pm so didn't manage until close.

Just the headache from Big Dippper followed staight away by Infusion did me in.

Just sitting in the Big Blue now in my room overlooking the Pleasure Beach
sky force any good today?

Walk on rides, can’t beat it. Only one person took me up on the free beer & seafood for the over 40s offer. And I finally got to witness @rob666 riding the coin operated train near Avalanche. Only waited 3 years. Never seen anyone over toddler age on it. Hilarious and £1 well spent

The fantastic new service by train, London to Blackpool direct, started this year at considerable expense... has been scrapped.
Covid/lack of punters given as the excuse.
Any idea what price the fares are?

I got quoted £165 return for Leicester to London the other week, so a group of four might have to pay £500. Better off in the car really.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.