• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Deceased rodent alert.
If you want to shed a tear for the Mouse while drinking a big glass of German beer whilst wearing a silly hat and eating a big sausage, on the Mouse site, the Beach are happy to oblige.
Dead Mouse Octoberfest.
Gated off, presumably for weekends.

Any idea what price the fares are?

I got quoted £165 return for Leicester to London the other week, so a group of four might have to pay £500. Better off in the car really.

I travelled from London yesterday. £100 return was the cheapest I could find, changing in Preston. However, it was a bit of an impulse decision so maybe it's possible to get them cheaper in advance. I booked at 5am Monday morning to leave Tuesday afternoon.

Also, the fog is something else here! Just stepped outside and could've sworn there used to be a coaster there! Ice blast is looking like the brightness test screen on a game where you adjust it until it's barely visible.

Just walked out the station to the sight of the Big One with one person on the front row! I think I was right to wait until the schools went back.

Stunning day today.
Had entry issues due to no phone, but redcoat entry staff were brilliant.
Sunshine, walk ons all afternoon, beer and good company.
Only negative point was dippy farting all the way round on Doras world voyage.

I second that the park was empty today. Got through Big Blue South entrance and managed Icon 1st Train and also sky force. Did a few others and then left the park about 2pm so didn't manage until close.

Just the headache from Big Dippper followed staight away by Infusion did me in.

Just sitting in the Big Blue now in my room overlooking the Pleasure Beach

Walk on rides, can’t beat it. Only one person took me up on the free beer & seafood for the over 40s offer. And I finally got to witness @rob666 riding the coin operated train near Avalanche. Only waited 3 years. Never seen anyone over toddler age on it. Hilarious and £1 well spent

Please don't, sounds like you all had a great day, weather was good too. I was supposed to be up there all this week, but had to cancel our holiday due to Covid :D:D:D

Well, that was a good day. All new creds for me and my first solo trip to a park.

5x Big One incl. front and back rows
5x Icon incl. back row. The front just eluded me.
2x Avalanche and Revolution
1x the rest except Nick Streak which was closed all day.
1x Ice Blast and Ghost Train too.

That was going at a leisurely pace too and stopping for a couple of pints. It's a shame about Nick Streak because I've heard that's alright. Blue Flyer was tame and the only time I felt a bit embarrassed but Grand National and Big Dipper were just not enjoyable at all... and had the longest waits!

Blue Flyer was tame and the only time I felt a bit embarrassed but Grand National and Big Dipper were just not enjoyable at all... and had the longest waits!

Dipper seems to be getting rougher with lots of jerky lateral movement from the banked turn onward.

I like lateral movement if you can predict it (like wild mouse coasters), but the unforeseen lurches on dipper can be pretty unpleasant. It does depend on the seat and the day though, sometimes you hardly notice it and other times its terrible.

And don't get me started on Nash - Knock the damn thing down - Please!

Blue flyer embarrassing ? - try sharing a boat on Dora the explorer with middle aged men :)

Middle aged...I take that as a compliment.
Middle aged men who fart a lot while screaming "Stop it spinning".
The King of the Woodies on the Beach informed me that one bend on the Dipper has seven different radius changes, in the space of about three seconds on the ride.
Your wimp status on the Nash was discussed when we were on it on Tuesday.
Front seat twice, zero wait.
You would have hated it shakey.

I honestly prefer Infusion to Nash. Bleeding ears are preferable to a broken kneck !

Dipper seems to be getting rougher with lots of jerky lateral movement from the banked turn onward.

I like lateral movement if you can predict it (like wild mouse coasters), but the unforeseen lurches on dipper can be pretty unpleasant. It does depend on the seat and the day though, sometimes you hardly notice it and other times its terrible.

And don't get me started on Nash - Knock the damn thing down - Please!

Blue flyer embarrassing ? - try sharing a boat on Dora the explorer with middle aged men :)

Haha yeah, okay, fair enough. I was on the back row on Big Dipper and on a wheel seat on Nash which I've heard makes it worse. I don't think I'd have minded it too much were I not by myself so you've got someone to have a laugh and moan with when you get off but there was no motivation to re-ride and find out if it could be better in different seats which the waits they had. They both clearly had potential though so it was a bit of a shame they were too uncomfortable to re-ride.

I was really surprised at how much fun Avalanche was. I knew what to expect with Infusion. As soon as the restraints came down I was thinking 'what am I doing with my life?'

Also, I think I just hadn't been on many coasters with good airtime. That first hill on Icon was great. I can see why people bang on about airtime so much so looking forward to going on more rides that are all about that.

Thing with Nash is that it's a really good coaster in terms of the layout, so I can tolerate the roughness. Big Dipper though is both dull and painful.

Hi forumers, new here

Just reading over some of the comments one problem that I've found with Blackpool not to the fault of Pleasure Beach but that it is actually pretty damn expensive to get to nowadays. Like I live in Birmingham and for me to travel up to Blackpool on the train with a single ticket it can be £50/60 a ticket with a return coming in close at £70+ at times (Although looking now its like £30). Coach is hit and miss on price and if I'm honest I don't really like them.

It's a hard sell when you have Alton Towers and Drayton Manor so near by, all at less than £50. Getting to Blackpool is just too damn expensive! Especially when you take into account Park entry, food, B&B and Train ticket we are close to £200 just for a few hours rides. Like I completely understand that it is not Blackpool Pleasure Beach's fault it's just very pricey. I suppose cost of transport is putting a lot of people off from visiting.

I have an interesting story though, my family knew the Thompson Family more specifically Geoffrey Thompson fairly well. Something to do with my family doing some dental work for the family, weird I know don't ask me the finer details as I'm not sure.

I remember walking into Pleasure Beach being amazed as always walking in. Now my grandparents were not particular fans of rides but just wanted to have a walk-through the park when you could. I was constantly asking to go on rides but they were unsure due to my age (9), even though I had been on rides at Pleasure Beach before. They liked to be safe.

I remember this man standing by a ride in his pin-stripe suit waving at us and heading over towards us. My Grandparents suddenly realised that it was Geoffrey. He begins chatting to my Grandparent about stuff and then looks to me asking me whats rides had I been on, when I said I hadn't as my Grandparents would't allow me to.

I remember he shouted "what! That won't do!". Then said which ride did I want to go on and I pointed to the small water ride which I believe is the Rugrats Lost River ride now?. Yes I know of all the rides I chose that, I just panicked! He starts to walk off while turning around and said "Well, do you not want to ride it or not?". I followed him and to my Grandparents disbelief puts me on the ride and gets into the boat himself. I just remember everyone in the queue line and the ride staff just shocked! He then shouts "I may need a change of clothes!". Then off we went. Luckily we didn't get too wet!!

After coming off he tried to encourage my Grandparents onto a ride and they were hesitant until he suggested
the Pleasure Beach Express. He sat chatting to me and my Grandparents about the park and what he was planning next. He seemed really enthusiastic about trains. I'm pretty certain Geoffrey was a huge fan of trains was he not?

Was a memory that has stayed with me. Geoffrey had a special quality about him that is quite hard to describe, I suppose kind of like 'magical', almost like a Walt Disney vibe if I ever met him. He was deeply passionate about his park, heritage, customers and his family. One of kind!

I think what the problem with the park is they seem to be suffering from what Disney Parks suffered after Walt passed and that was the whole "What would Walt do?" or in this case Geoffrey. It seems to have caused a bit of a creative brain drain on the park with many rides going. Although I think with Icon, Wallace & Gromit and I suppose Nickelodeon to extent this is starting to slowly disappear although I still feel it's missing that magic I used to experience as a kid! I think Geoffrey was one of kind with a lot of unique ideas.

Not sure If any of you agree, just my thoughts anyway. Hopefully Pleasure beach have a good season with whats left of it anyway.

Hey guys, I'm going on Friday to the Pleasure Beach with two friends that have never been before. What's it like with covid at the moment? I'm hoping it should be quiet, with minimal waits. My main worry is that it'll be so quiet that they dont open some of the coasters... Sad I wont get to show them the craziness that is Valhalla! Thanks :)

Weather looks good, queues should be pretty short, but it is a loonymations weekend so not quiet...good pick.
Everything should be open, though the wild mouse has been shut for a while.
Dodgems shut, atmosphere good, stick to the mask rules, you should be fine.

Finally visiting this weekend for the 1st time since opening weekend. Picked a good time late night riding, last Oktoberfest day, the illuminations as well. Around on the Sunday and Monday as well so a chance to get on everything I want a lot. Likely the Saturday if its busy I'll just spend the afternoon drinking and watching the rides/enjoying the atmosphere.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.