• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Braving the Cultural Chernobyl: Disneyland Paris from a first-timer

I haven't been this year but I've seen reports that character meets (even unofficial ones) now come with an additional cast member to create and man a queue.

Stops the scrum and keeps people happier.

Regarding characters, I feel sorry for Disney in a way. Back in the mists of time, it was probably a really nice idea, to have Mickey and Minnie and whoever else wandering the park at will, allowing kids to have one-to-one 'moments' with their favourite characters. A spontaneous, relaxed, chilled-out thing.

But it's become a victim of its own success, where meeting a character is no longer an unexpected bonus, but a 'must-do' attraction in itself for parents. Having the characters locked away in a tent somewhere with a massive queue snaking round Fantasyland does totally wreck that charm and spontaneity but what can Disney do? If they sent Mickey out into the park on a busy day, he'd be mobbed. They should have a few more of the 'B-List'ers wandering around though, like lovely Pluto.

jon81uk said:
I think the difference with the stations between US and French Space Mountains is for a reason, as both tell different stories. In Paris you are about to get into a cannon that will shoot you to the moon, therefore the station is on earth so the sunlight isn't out of place, you only reach space after being shot. In California & Florida then yes the whole queueline is meant to feel like a space ship. This is the difference between the Tommorrowland theme and the Jules Verne Discoveryland theme.
Dave said:
1) Space mountain station, i hazard a guess that either you haven't been exposed to Jules Verne or you don't rate that Steam Punk ideal. As Jon has said the DLP Space Mountain has a completely different theme aim that the other Space Mountains, for a start the others are based completely in space but at DLP you are meant to be on the Earth in the station (Hence the origional name translating "from the Earth to the Moon". For my money i like that ideal as it sets up a proper sequence of events rather than "ohh i have walked through a door and ended up in Space".

I'm not disputing that the 'outdoor' station fits the theme, I'm sure it does. That doesn't make it good. It may fit with the theme and the story of the ride, but it kills the atmosphere stone dead, whereas in Anaheim the SM station feels electric (see the photo in my review) by the time you reach it. In Paris, there is no atmosphere at all during the day (and no riders during the night!) It may be all clever and based on a 19th century author, but the simpler Orlando/Anaheim concept is better realised and 'imagineered'. It's more effective at telling a story (even if it doesn't make much sense) and the tension flows and builds up naturally as you leave the sunny daylight behind halfway through the queue. It's not that I don't understand it: it just doesn't work.

jon81uk said:
I don't want to cause offence but overall it sounds like you went to Disneyland Paris wanting to pick fault? I can't see any positives in your report (although it is nice and thorough :)). Personally I quite like DLP, while its not as polished as the USA parks, and Euro staff will never be as happy as USA staff there are many nice features.

I guess you weren't reading closely enough then, such as where I described the "unbeatable" Tower of Terror as "one of the best ideas in the history of theme parks," and riders on Crush's as "busy giggling with giddy fun." I also named the entrance to the main park as "almost without question, the most spectacular in the world," and described Main Street as "faultless and immaculate", continuing that it "always takes my breath away." I said the park contains moments of "genuine, jaw-to-the-floor beauty" and that Big Blunder "is the most beautiful ride in the world", with Star Tours being a "wonderfully designed and executed attraction." Space Mountain "understands pacing, and understands that it is a thrill coaster, and doesn't compromise on that." ;)