• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cadbury World - Merlin Take Over

Excalibur

TS Member
Merlin Entertainments And Mondelēz International Announce New Cadbury World Partnership
Wednesday 2nd February 2022
Merlin Entertainments and Mondelēz International have today announced an exclusive new partnership that will see Merlin acquire the operations and brand licenses for Cadbury World in the UK.

Opened in 1990, Cadbury World is one of the West Midlands’ most popular attractions with 600,000+ people visiting every year to learn about the nation’s favourite chocolate and the heritage of the Cadbury brand.

As part of the agreement, Merlin Entertainments will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Cadbury World site, its employees, and all operational decisions, as well as holding brand usage rights for Cadbury World in the UK.

The partnership forms part of Merlin’s broader strategy to engage in IP partnerships with some of the world’s most popular brands across its global estate, with existing successful partnerships including LEGO, Bear Grylls, Marvel and BBC.

Louise Stigant, UK MD At Mondelēz International Said:

“Cadbury World is a truly unique experience and since it first opened its doors in 1990, has been enjoyed by millions of families from across the UK and overseas. We want to build on the strong foundations we’ve laid so that people can continue to enjoy Cadbury World for generations to come.”

“As we approach Cadbury’s 200th anniversary, I’m really excited by this partnership. By working with Merlin Entertainments, we will be able to bring the history and heritage of the Cadbury brand and the joy of chocolate to more and more people.”

Mark Fisher, Chief Development Officer At Merlin Entertainments Said:

“As one of the world leaders in location-based entertainment we are delighted that Cadbury World is joining the already strong global network of Merlin attractions. We have long admired Cadbury as the nation’s favourite chocolate brand and have already successfully worked together across a range of experiential activities and retail spaces in our UK theme parks. We are now excited to continue the relationship and bring to life the sights, smells and fun experiences that chocolate lovers have come to know and love, but just with the additional helping of some Merlin magic!”

The partnership is subject to the CMA confirming they have no objections. Subject to a successful completion, the new partnership will take effect from summer 2022.

Merlin Entertainments And Mondelēz International Announce New Cadbury World Partnership
Wednesday 2nd February 2022
Merlin Entertainments and Mondelēz International have today announced an exclusive new partnership that will see Merlin acquire the operations and brand licenses for Cadbury World in the UK.

Opened in 1990, Cadbury World is one of the West Midlands’ most popular attractions with 600,000+ people visiting every year to learn about the nation’s favourite chocolate and the heritage of the Cadbury brand.

As part of the agreement, Merlin Entertainments will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the Cadbury World site, its employees, and all operational decisions, as well as holding brand usage rights for Cadbury World in the UK.

The partnership forms part of Merlin’s broader strategy to engage in IP partnerships with some of the world’s most popular brands across its global estate, with existing successful partnerships including LEGO, Bear Grylls, Marvel and BBC.

Louise Stigant, UK MD At Mondelēz International Said:

“Cadbury World is a truly unique experience and since it first opened its doors in 1990, has been enjoyed by millions of families from across the UK and overseas. We want to build on the strong foundations we’ve laid so that people can continue to enjoy Cadbury World for generations to come.”

“As we approach Cadbury’s 200th anniversary, I’m really excited by this partnership. By working with Merlin Entertainments, we will be able to bring the history and heritage of the Cadbury brand and the joy of chocolate to more and more people.”

Mark Fisher, Chief Development Officer At Merlin Entertainments Said:

“As one of the world leaders in location-based entertainment we are delighted that Cadbury World is joining the already strong global network of Merlin attractions. We have long admired Cadbury as the nation’s favourite chocolate brand and have already successfully worked together across a range of experiential activities and retail spaces in our UK theme parks. We are now excited to continue the relationship and bring to life the sights, smells and fun experiences that chocolate lovers have come to know and love, but just with the additional helping of some Merlin magic!”

The partnership is subject to the CMA confirming they have no objections. Subject to a successful completion, the new partnership will take effect from summer 2022.
That's interesting. Will that mean it will be included in the Merlin Annual Pass?

Not convinced this is a good thing. Cadbury World was a great attraction last time I visited, although like many things it was better in the 1990s. If they include it on annual passes then the revenue will drop significantly and therefore quality will drop.

Just generally it feels like Merlin is getting close to a monopoly on visitor attractions in the UK.

Just thinking about the annual pass thing, if they do include it then it means a significant number of attractions are all within fairly reasonable distance of someone in the midlands area.
Alton Towers, Warwick Castle, Sea Life, Bear Grylls and now Cadbury World are very close.
Lego Discovery Centre Trafford, Blackpool Tower, Thorpe Park, Legoland Windsor are all a few hours drive.

Are there any signficant midway attractions not run by Merlin and aren't museums?
there are plenty of zoos, safari parks and small theme parks that aren't Merlin, but for indoor attractions I can't think of many in the UK other than Science Museums and similar like Think Tank.

There are plenty of zoos, safari parks and small theme parks that aren't Merlin, but for indoor attractions I can't think of many in the UK other than Science Museums and similar like Think Tank.

Bude Tunnel!

Seriously though, not many - Warner Bros. Studio Tour, SnowDome, Xscape, Eden Project, World of Beatrix Potter, Jorvik, some minor attractions at MediaCityUK, a few brewery tours here and there, but I suppose they're closer to educational attractions and museums than "midways."

Merlin is a ruthless monopoliser.

Bude Tunnel!

Seriously though, not many - Warner Bros. Studio Tour, SnowDome, Xscape, Eden Project, World of Beatrix Potter, Jorvik, some minor attractions at MediaCityUK, a few brewery tours here and there, but I suppose they're closer to educational attractions and museums than "midways."

Merlin is a ruthless monopoliser.

Yes Jorvik is probably the closest to another Cadbury World type attraction, with Warner Bros also being another major one for sure.

Oh there is also the Crystal Maze experiance I suppose and other larger escape room type things.

But yep since the Merlin/Tussauds merger there really isn't a lot of competition.

Even in London there aren't many permanent attractions that aren't musuems, galleries or run by Merlin.

Kinda happy but kinda worried at the same time.

Happy because I can just jump on the metro into brum and now go to Cadbury world within 15 mins and then just transfer to Bournville station.

Kinda sad because Merlin. Just hope they don't mess it up. Having been many times and really enjoyed it (when it was British Owned and not Kraft/Mondelez)

Just keep it as is and keep the free chocolate as I'd happily smash the annual pass. Plus also AP discount on the shop in there would be mad as the chocolate is sturdily discounted already.

Plus look at that big field right in front of the factory. Come on merlin slap a B&M or RMC right there...(JOKING)

Still another local attraction for me to get back to. Used to work in brum so sealife centre was done at least 3 times a week before I started work at 6pm.

Ooh, interesting! I went to Cadbury World when I was 10 (funnily enough, just after I properly got into theme parks), and I remember it being really fun!

I’ll admit it wouldn’t have been the first place to come to mind as somewhere Merlin might like to purchase, but I guess it would be a logical fit; with its rides and tour-style nature, I guess it would fit the midway format well!