• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cadbury World - Merlin Take Over

Cadabra is great, I love its 90s charm actual moving figures and humour, very much of the same style as original Bubbleworks and Toyland Tours in terms of style/humour so I'm very sad to hear this is a replacement over an addition :(
Same here. They have all that space where the old factory section used to be for a new Dark Ride, so it's kinda confusing for them to replace a dark ride instead of adding an extra ride to the lineup.

Same here. They have all that space where the old factory section used to be for a new Dark Ride, so it's kinda confusing for them to replace a dark ride instead of adding an extra ride to the lineup.

Yes disappointing. Only heard about this place when Merlin took over but a 4-5 hour round trip for 1 ride just isn't worth it.

Its an interactive museum type thing, its never really been about rides. By the same logic Madame Tussauds also only has one ride.

Oh i agree. Tussauds has the 4D cinema as well (although i think Cadbury has one too) but Tussauds is about an hour for us so was expressing personal disappointment as my son loves dark rides. Just seems a shame to replace one that sounded popular when there wasn't a space issue.

Just seems a shame to replace one that sounded popular when there wasn't a space issue.
Its been 10-15 years since I last rode Cadabra and I think it felt dated back then even, yes it is physical sets but not on any great scale really, it was along the lines of Small World but smaller sets. I think it was mainly popular because it was the only ride there, not because it was high quality.

There is at least one 4D cinema and used to have another out in the car park.

I could be wrong but I was under the impression this was going in unused factory space, allowing Cadabra to have stayed open while construction takes place. Then Cadabra’s site will be reused for something else

All the comments say it is replacing Cadabra, which i suppose neither confirms or denies the location. I do remember in the last TPWW video it was open whilst an area was closed for construction but again that could be interpreted either way.

Very intrigued and excited for the new developments at Cadbury World.

I visited the place in 2018 and though enjoyable, must admit it did look a little dated in places. I never realised they had more factory tour/ behind the scenes things there which were apparently removed years ago.

The new dark ride does sound very excitin, especially the track-less elemen. Just hoping there is also a mixture of scenery and animatronics/ effects. But we shall have to see.

It is kind of a shame that they are removing Cadabra, as I thought there would be an additional dark ride as opposed to a replacemen. The original ride was somewhat charming if rather dated in places.

Great news to see something is being developed here! Fond memories of going as a kid, had been meaning to revisit it soon anyway - will definitely wait until this new ride has opened first. I'm assuming this is the first trackless ride in the country? If so, I really hope it utilises different paths (much like Symbolica) or has the cars weaving through each others paths to really get the most out of the hardware. Must be costing quite a bit to do.

Great news to see something is being developed here! Fond memories of going as a kid, had been meaning to revisit it soon anyway - will definitely wait until this new ride has opened first. I'm assuming this is the first trackless ride in the country? If so, I really hope it utilises different paths (much like Symbolica) or has the cars weaving through each others paths to really get the most out of the hardware. Must be costing quite a bit to do.

The only trackless dark ride in the UK is Harrington Flint at Fantasy Island. Tried to go this year but it's a bit too far for us atm, it looks really good though.

Anyone know when Cadabra is closing? My husband famously got stuck on that ride on a school trip, now it's covered by my Merlin pass I was planning to take him again to relive the experience!
I think you might be out of luck. Cadbury World is currently closed and the post would suggest that the new ride is to open in the Spring, so I would imagine they're doing the work now.
Yes disappointing. Only heard about this place when Merlin took over but a 4-5 hour round trip for 1 ride just isn't worth it.
If you're looking to justify the journey you can throw in National Sea Life Centre and Legoland Discovery Centre, which are both in central Birmingham (opposite each other) and linked by train from Bourneville, and you've got a pretty full day out at the Midway attractions. It's also no more than 30 minutes drive from Bourneville to The Bear Grylls Adventure.

Last edited:
I just noticed the second image in the Cadburys post has riders holding guns :(

The press release states it’s an interactive attraction:

The new ride will see guests set a choc-tastic mission by the iconic Cadbury character Freddo before they jump aboard a Cadbury car and complete an immersive and entertaining quest to collect all the delicious ingredients needed to make a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk, using lasers to zap them up.

Mmm, edutainment!

Haven’t ridden Cadabra in twenty years, but still have my chocolate bean sculpted cocoa mug from the nineties. The highlight of Cadbury World was always purchasing one of those big bags of misshapen chocos gone wrong in the store.

I was surprised how rough around the edges the place was looking when we visited late last year. The entrance is distinctly unimpressive and pretty dirty and the confused mix of attractions around the back needs a redesign to make it more coherent - at the moment it feels like an afterthought.

As others have said, it’s a shame this new attraction couldn’t be fit in elsewhere as Cadabra, whilst showing its age a little, has a wonderful charm. It could be updated relatively easily to give it a fresher appearance. I do fear that there’s a risk this new ride will be devoid of the charm Cadabra had.

TPWW have seemingly confirmed the new ride is going in the walled off area in the factory rather than directly replacing Cadabra. However, I still expect the latter to be closing in advance of this new ride opening

My family love Cadabra, so it'll be really sad to see it go as it was their highlight of Cadbury World. It was such a lovely and charming Dark Ride. Sure, the CGI beans definitely needed upgrading and some relighting in certain scenes, but it had so much movement and a lovely theme with a lot of detail, and the music was always very magical as well.