• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Car Parking Charge

The charge is an annoyance. My other annoyance about the parking is you drive about five minutes past the park entrance, and spend ages waiting in a queue for the monorail, or you walk it, so you've wasted a lot of time there.

It's a bit off topic, but on the subject of accessible public transport...
As of next year, all trains that have toilets must have at least one that's "accessible". This will cause a problem on the old Pacer so-called-"trains". But fear not, Arriva Trains Wales have a solution!
.... They will lock all the toilets. If they don't have any, they don't have to comply!

It's a bit off topic, but on the subject of accessible public transport...
As of next year, all trains that have toilets must have at least one that's "accessible". This will cause a problem on the old Pacer so-called-"trains". But fear not, Arriva Trains Wales have a solution!
.... They will lock all the toilets. If they don't have any, they don't have to comply!
That's awful, but not at all surprising that a private company running transport would put profit over passengers :confused:

Yup. They were only supposed to be a short term stop gap in the first place!

I parked at express parking for free two weeks ago, no staff in the new hut by the plaza and no barrier to check on exit.

I was willing to pay but there was no way to pay

You're bleedin lucky mate. I was on park till 8pm on WM opening (due to the atrocious operations that day.) Paid the parking fee and to my horror the god damn barrier was up. Was mugged that day, good and proper.

While staying in the Enchanted Village last weekend, having taken a 5 year old for the first time, it hit me just how far a walk it it is to the monorail! Maybe with the car parking money they could introduce a shuttle service from the Enchanted Village reception over to the monorail. Just buy 2 old single decker buses, tart them up, chuck out most of the seats (like airport busses), and run them over to the monorail. Say every 15 minutes between 8:45 and 10am then every hour after that until 4pm when they start running 15 mins again.

This can shuttle people over from the hotel to the monorail. I would think the car parking monies could easily support this.

I was there last weekend and got on the last but 1 train of the Smiler as I had a booking for the Crooked Sooon for 7 I had to walk fast and it still took Me 35 mins to walk from the Smiler to the restaurant.
I feel that they should offer free bus transport to resort guests.

Have any of you ever dumped you car in the staff car park? Did it get clamped?

Last time I was there I watched this person walk from the staff car park, up round to the entrance, scan their pass and walk in, I was tempted to say something (not nasty, just ask if my eyes were deceiving me), but I didn't in the end as some chav started shouting at me for queue jumping.

I know capitalism has a bad name these days, but I would certainly suggest that it works. If people really hated the parking charge, they wouldn't pay it, would all go to Drayton Manor (and pay to park there) and Towers would react, but thus far, they haven't.

It is what it is - I never leave the park feeling ripped off or unhappy and if I did, again - I wouldn't go back. £6 isn't changing my life and if it was, I shouldn't be heading out to a park anyway.

would all go to Drayton Manor (and pay to park there)

Drayton Manor dropped their parking charges last season, from what I believe its all free parking their now. Saying that, I never paid for parking at DMTP when they did charge for it.

It is what it is - I never leave the park feeling ripped off or unhappy and if I did, again - I wouldn't go back. £6 isn't changing my life and if it was, I shouldn't be heading out to a park anyway.

For me it never about the money, it's simply about the principle of it. Maybe I should start charging guest that visit my home each time they park on my drive way ;)

For me it never about the money, it's simply about the principle of it. Maybe I should start charging guest that visit my home each time they park on my drive way ;)
Do it, same principle. If you do it and people stop visiting you, maybe you'll respond and decide visitors are better are better than money. If they keep coming and happily give you money to park on your driveway, why in the world would you stop?

Drayton Manor dropped their parking charges last season, from what I believe its all free parking their now. Saying that, I never paid for parking at DMTP when they did charge for it.
Have they? That's good, I haven't visited for a few years now but remember they never had any barriers or anything, just staff at the exit of the theme park getting you to buy parking tokens as you were leaving.

Literally no one, no matter how they feel about the parking charge, is going to go Drayton instead. Unless they build a Nemesis that just isn't going to happen.

I'm happy to keep the charge, only because it's easy enough to avoid paying it, really rounds the day out nicely getting even an insignificant victory over them.

Literally no one, no matter how they feel about the parking charge, is going to go Drayton instead. Unless they build a Nemesis that just isn't going to happen.

I'm happy to keep the charge, only because it's easy enough to avoid paying it, really rounds the day out nicely getting even an insignificant victory over them.

Families will kids up to the height of 1.2m tall will go there as there’s more there to do for kids then there is at Alton Towers. My 6 year old loves the Thomas Land rides as there more thrilling then most of the rides in CBeebies.
She said the area for babies and the only attraction she would go on is the go jetters ride and the Octonauts rollercoaster. She also enjoyed Justin House. She thought Troublesome trunks was a better coaster.

I know capitalism has a bad name these days, but I would certainly suggest that it works. If people really hated the parking charge, they wouldn't pay it, would all go to Drayton Manor (and pay to park there) and Towers would react, but thus far, they haven't.

I always thought you were a MAP holder?

Have any of you ever dumped you car in the staff car park? Did it get clamped?

Last time I was there I watched this person walk from the staff car park, up round to the entrance, scan their pass and walk in, I was tempted to say something (not nasty, just ask if my eyes were deceiving me), but I didn't in the end as some chav started shouting at me for queue jumping.

Clamped? You're having a laugh there - that would mean AT Security are actually doing something.

The most you'll get for parking in a staff car park without a permit sticker - particualrly for a first time "offence" - is a note on your windscreen reminding you to get / display a permit. No note = 99% certain the carpark was not checked that day for permits, so you've not clocked up your 1st "offence".

I've seen staff vehicles (with a permit) dubiously parked, blocking fire escapes etc. Despite security being able to trace the vehicle to an individual with ease (i.e. it's got a permit and the reg no is on their database) and ask them to move it, all they do is leave a "naughty" note on the windscreen.