• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Car Parking Charge

Also, private clamping is illegal these days.

Actually, here's a thought: given that you have no legal obligation to pay a "fine" issued by a private parking company.... do you ave any legal obligation to pay the six quid in the first place?

There is a myth that when you get a parking fine (on private land) you can just ignore it with impunity. That used to be the case before 2012 but it is not the case anymore. Surprisingly few people realise that when wheel clamping was made illegal, the law also changed so that the registered keeper would become liable for non-payment of parking charges on private land. Read the guidance here: Parking on private land

So yes, you do have to pay for parking where the land owner requests it (subject to certain conditions).

You can't be issued a parking fine on private land, but you can get a parking charge (invoice).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/two-similar-parking-tickets-one-8054069

Never think that you can ignore these as companies can take you to a small claims court which can then escalate to having the high court enforcement turning up at your home. A £6 parking charge can end up costing you £1000's in court costs if it goes to court. So never ignore these. You only have to watch channel 5's Can't Pay, We'll Take It Away to see cases where this has happened.

But isn't it a case that the costs of chasing after someone to claim the unpaid charges are far more than the potential gains? I'm pretty sure even sending a legal letter costs more than six quid.

That will depend on the individual companies,

Many years ago, I owed a company £0.03p they send me a letter asking for the £0.03p, it must of cost them more in money in postage, paper and envelope to asked for it as well as bank charges to cash the £0.03p cheque that I sent them :rolleyes:

Edit: Just change the above figures to make more sense, it was just three pence not point three pence

Last edited:
How is it even possible to claim a value that is less than half of the smallest possible denomination in our currency?? I'd have posted them a single penny, then counter-claimed them for the 0.7p.

EDIT: Awww, that's no fun, is it, Roy? ;)

Last edited:
Depends on the company these days. Some companies such as "Parking Eye" do take people through the courts, others dont bother as it costs them more in the long run (although they will send out plenty of threatening letters before they give up).

With regards Alton, interestingly, there are no signs informing you that you are entering a contract by parking in the car park, just the odd purple sign saying "Parking Charge £6". I've seen a few people go out the hotel exit and simply drive on the wrong side of the road, past the attendant so they dont end up paying. The attendant simply just cannot do anything about it.

A contract could be inferred from the signs saying "Parking £6", but ultimately a court would have to decide if it's binding.

Personally I'd say it probably is enough to create a contract although you wouldn't be able to enforce other conditions such as use of disabled bays, parking over the lines etc.

Most is a mention in the T&Cs that the park (amongst others) operates a chargeable car parking policy... Whether that would hold up in court of law is another thing...

Though of course it is amusing reading the sort of nonsense people do to avoid a few quid...

I have heard a few times that the parking at Thorpe is not legally enforceable at all.
Never tried it though.
Used the staff car park a couple of times, once when express was closed, without notice or reason, and never got as much as a note.

Yeah Parking Eye won an appeal in 2016 with some sappy wet behind the ears judge that established "implied contract acceptance" into case law that means just by entering the private property you agree to parking terms and are liable for a parking charge notice if issued, even though the unfair contract terms act makes such things illegal and Parking Eye won't acknowledge any similar contracts in the other direction for unsolicited contact ( thanks to the same pathetic set of Judges).

You can beat them, but it's a lot more difficult, simple answer is don't overstay your parking time if in a Parking Eye type car park, unfortunately the day the parks start employing Parking Eye will be the time I don't take chances lol.

Edit: blimey is it 2012 and not 2016? How time flies.

Last edited:
What if you just wear a hi-viz vest and when turning right off the entrance road towards the little booth, just drive quite quickly and hold up some sort of ID card before the attendant can get anywhere near your car to question you, then carry on down to the express car park, jump out, then enjoy a day on park, without even talking to the attendant or anything?

Or better yet, just drive past the attendant area and do the same (as if you havn't seen them).

I would never condone the theft of a car parking space such as in this instance, I should clarify.

Well we all know a high vis vest lets you get away with anything. But you forgot to mention sticking your hazard lights on. If you do that, you are legally allowed to park anywhere, including the middle of Wembley's pitch on cup final day.

The person at the entrance is only there to direct traffic now, well they were at Easter, you pay at the little cabin before the plaza unless you can sneak past without paying. It's worth noting that if you have a premium carer Merlin annual pass, you should get parking in that carpark free (at Alton) but it's not an advertised perk, nor is it guaranteed.

It's also worth noting the exit barrier is only manned from about 3pm onwards......

Well we all know a high vis vest lets you get away with anything. But you forgot to mention sticking your hazard lights on. If you do that, you are legally allowed to park anywhere, including the middle of Wembley's pitch on cup final day.

Classic. Could also be looking around in all directions as if you're looking for a particular building or structure or something and it's important that you get there relatively quickly, just to finish off the look.

Classic. Could also be looking around in all directions as if you're looking for a particular building or structure or something and it's important that you get there relatively quickly, just to finish off the look.

Don't forget to carry your toolbox, even if it only has your sandwiches in.

My dad has done this the cheeky bugger.

Used the staff car park a couple of times, once when express was closed, without notice or reason, and never got as much as a note.

I would keep any free parking loopholes to your self, unless you want the whole world to read your post and everyone then trying to park in the Staff car park, plus if Alton reads it, they will soon put a stop to all the loop holes

It's also worth noting the exit barrier is only manned from about 3pm onwards......

Also the parking attendant also go home at some point, so go and have a meal in the Rollercoaster restaurant or a drink in one of the Hotels, by the time you come out, the barriers will be up.

That’s if the barrier has the barrier...when we went the other week it had been snapped off again :D

I take it some alcohol free day community has visited the park again? o_O