• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cariba Additions?

M

Mankey

Just a genuine question here seeing as you guys all know more than I do nowadays!

Will Cariba Creek be seeing any large changes any time soon? I've always thought quite highly of the water park, but I feel it could be expanded in some ways!

As much as I would love to see some changes in Cariba Creek. Mark Kerrigan confirmed that they have no current plans to expand the Waterpark.

Such a shame, because it's had nothing new since opening back in 2003!

Ugh, the waterpark. It's so bloody infuriating! They never want to expand it, yet they want to market it more and more. It needs more flumes, more pool space and a better entrance which doesn't make the non-hotel guests traipse through the hotel foyer every morning...

Yeah it looks like there are no current plans for the Waterpark which is a great shame. It really needs something new to just to freshen it up and bit and give people more of a reason to go. However Towers/Merlin feel that the current Waterpark is already one of the best in the country and that it does not need adding to at present. Basically, I don't think they feel that they would get a return on any major investment into the Waterpark.

:)

DaveW said:
i don't know how many of you lot remember this but a few years ago there were plans for a new water slide at the water park.

the plans were shelved when Merlin stepped in along with the plans to extend ATH but here are a few of the drawings from the planning application for those of you that don't remember it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/as ... -G7435.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/as ... -E7433.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/as ... -C7430.jpg

Wow! I've not seen these before thanks for sharing them Dave. :)

Aw, that ride looked like it could have been bloody awesome!

Looks like a flume that would have entered into a large (outdoor?) cone or skateboard style ramp before exiting into the existing pool... Looks like it would have been a very fun addition to the place! It's such a shame that Merlin don't seem to feel the need to expand the waterpark, some sort of investment there during a low-investment year on park would certainly beef up the resorts offerings.

Nice to see those plans again. It would have added abit more (much needed) life to not only the water park but the outdoor section which is certainly neglected alot.

I would love to see the waterpark extended - but its become something of an unloved odd child for the resort. Its creation was as part of a 'waterpark hotel' and was great for just being something for the hotel guests to make a second day with plenty of time and really feeling it as a perk.

Over the years it become its own standalone attraction, but doesnt seem to be able to pull it off. The fact it is in a hotel makes it difficult to publicise for guests, and the fact most people cant go 'unplanned' as a) they don't carry swim things and b) it closes too early for it to be a feasible add on to any day in the park.

I would ideally like a new separate entrance be built next to the conference entry point (or merge them) to make it feel like a unique attraction, not part of the hotel.
Then do ERT for hotel guests, who still use the existing entry point - to make them feel like it is a perk.

And it really needs to open much much later, 7pm closing would be more appropriate, so guests who have used the theme park get chance to use the water park too.
Perhaps the day could be spilt into 2 sessions, say 10-3 and 3-7, as its not really a full day attraction anyway - and if the evening (shorter) session was cheaper it might get more people in. Or if there was a discount on the afternoon session with a valid theme park ticket, people really might use both.

I feel for the water park, its just a lost soul.

Never been the waterpark at Alton Towers, but been looking to go this year - would you say it is worth going and how long would you say you could realistically spend there?

It's a shame that they haven't expanded on the park since it opened and to hear Mark say that they have nothing planned in the TT10 talk is a little disheartening. Never seen the plans that Dave has put above, looks like it would of been a good addition to the park.

I always have a slight feeling that the waterpark is left out a bit, in terms of new additions; and I really think a new addition to the waterpark could really boost it's general image - and also awareness. Most people just visiting the park for the first time, and not staying the hotels, probably aren't even aware of the waterpark tucked away in Splash Landings.

I don't think all hope of investment in the waterpark has vanished though. There is the odd thing that is changed in the waterpark, for example, seating and some flooring has fairly recently seen some attention.

If the odd improvement goes ahead here and there, I think the general visitor to the waterpark will be satisfied.

The waterpark's maintenance has never been an issue. Yearly cleaning, repairs, reprints and other jobs are always carried out and usually done to a Hugh standard. The issue is the lack of investment elsewhere!

The waterpark is great for a casual guest or for a first time visitor to the hotels but for many who have visited before, it seems like a waste of time to go there when there is nothing new.

I suppose the waterpark is always fairly busy and because it costs an arm and a leg to get in it must make Merlin a fortune, with the only costs being on staff, heating, lighting, etc. Which must be very low compared to the theme park. And because I imagine most guests who go to the water park only visit it when they are are the hotel it doesnt really need to have investment as them guests may only use it once or twice a year, and will most likely use it again the following year no matter if there is anything new.

I guess its the same reason they dont open earlier or close later. Unless they had 2 or 3 hour sessions, people would just stay in there longer and that wouldnt make Merlin anymore money, but would just cost them more for staffing.

I hope they sort the outside out soon, because it is looking very old and tatty, most of the bubbles dont work in the bubble pool and the floor is all damaged.

I've always had my reservations about that propsed slide.

Yes it would be fun and thriling and improve Cariba Creek no end, but if the plans were anything to go by it was going to be a real eyesore!! How would that thing have any relevance to the Caribbean island?

Spark said:
Those plans look great but how would that slide actually work?
It appears that there would be a new set of stairs over the entrance to the Flash Floods outdoor slides which would be the start of a new flume. This would go round the edge of the outdoor area into what looks like a large cone a bit like a skateboard ramp which you would slide up and down of before exiting into the existing outdoor pool.

Depends how it would have been themed... If it used colourful wood to surround it and an aged Carribbean theme I can't see why it would be an eyesore?

Cariba is a Brilliant Water Park, but it badly needs new additions. For instance we could do with 2 or 3 new slides, But I would love to see something like the vertical type ride at Sandcastle in Blackpool (Can't remember the name)

Yea it looks like they really thought about it as I can't think of many places they could add another

mrbrightside said:
Depends how it would have been themed... If it used colourful wood to surround it and an aged Carribbean theme I can't see why it would be an eyesore?

Oh yeah of course it would look great if they did that....but realistically it would of just been one of those cheap plastic things you find at every waterpark on the Costa Del Sol with no theming at all. :p Especially given the fact late Tussauds were in charge when it was proposed.

:)