• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: CBeebies Land

BigAl said:
But being icons doesn't make them suitable to base them for the theme of an attraction. They have no depth, character or personality, they're just blobs that pop up on screen in between programmes.
You obviously don't know the blobs then. They're exactly the same as having a random squirrel on the back which had absolutely nothing to do with anything at the end of the day.

thefatone said:
BigAl said:
But being icons doesn't make them suitable to base them for the theme of an attraction. They have no depth, character or personality, they're just blobs that pop up on screen in between programmes.
You obviously don't know the blobs then. They're exactly the same as having a random squirrel on the back which had absolutely nothing to do with anything at the end of the day.

Now i've realised the blobs are the 'mascot' of CBeebies I actually think they are a good basis to theme the ride upon.

However I don't see any evidence to suggest that this ride retheme will consist of anything more than bright yellow and purple paint and some new tiles stuck on the existing theming.

Where is the creativity? Or imagination?

Furthermore, the squirrels were an iconic part of Alton Towers and created a perfect theme for a naturalistic area of the park with lots of old oak trees.

Visually, this new theme will stick out as much as Spinball.

I seem to have become the enemy here when I never stated that I disliked this entire project, merely one aspect of it so far: the Blobs replacing the squirrels.

thefatone said:
BigAl said:

Squirrel Nutty linked in with Peter Rabbit. Ever heard of The Tale Squirrel Nutkin? No? And the fact that you sat in a giant acorn whilst a squirrel carried you along through the treetops... it had humour - something which this is devoid of.

The_Tale_of_Squirrel_Nutkin_cover.jpg

So how does a yellow blob, with no backstory, pushing you in a purple car through the trees compare? It's Cbeebies' icon... so? Keep it for the marketing and signage.

I think kids these days will prefer to be pushed along in a colourful car by the mascot of their favourite tv channel then sit in an acorn carried by a battered looking old squirrel they've never heard of before... After all, this is aimed at very young children, not nostalgic enthusiasts ;)

I'm all for a retheme if it's a positive change, but taking away an attraction's substance for a retheme isn't necessary. It's not as if there aren't other Cbeebies shows with proper characters that they could have based a retheme on.

But as for IPs, they don't come much bigger than Beatrix Potter's stories. Hence why they continue to sell millions of copies a year. ;)

Josh said:
I think kids these days will prefer to be pushed along in a colourful car by the mascot of their favourite tv channel then sit in an acorn carried by a battered looking old squirrel they've never heard of before... After all, this is aimed at very young children, not nostalgic enthusiasts ;)

Change is inevitable....but it's hard to be enthusiastic about a park that is slowly removing all the things that made you fall in love with it in the first place.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Change is inevitable....but it's hard to be enthusiastic about a park that is slowly removing all the things that made you fall in love with it in the first place.

Squirrel Nutty was one of the first rides I went on at Towers, and one of the few things that I remember about my first visit, so of course I'm sad to see it go. But as you say, change is inevitable, so I'd rather get excited about the new attractions that are coming.

I'm actually really looking forward to this, the only downside is that one of the quieter areas of the park which was fun to chill out in before, will now likely be one of the busiest areas and full to the brim with loud screaming children :p

It's not even that. Everyone has to accept that things won't remain the way they are. What you don't have to accept is the better ideas being replaced with poorer ones.

Would anyone say refreshing Professor Burp's Bubble Works, the Haunted House, Terror Tomb and Toyland Tours was worth it? They looked clean (initially), but that's a rather pathetic reason to be pleased with them.

:p

I'm also sad to see it go, and I do agree with Al's points completely in theory. I want to clarify that.

I do however understand totally why they've gone for that blob thing, and the kids will no doubt find it humorous, between demanding sweets, vomiting, screaming, throwing tantrums, smacking their siblings etc ;D

This will be kiddie heaven and parent hell - mark my words.

"Chelsayyy, stop kicking Iggle Piggle in the shins - Beckham, put your brother down, no you can't post him to America".

BigAl said:
It's not even that. Everyone has to accept that things won't remain the way they are. What you don't have to accept is the better ideas being replaced with poorer ones.

Would anyone say refreshing Professor Burp's Bubble Works, the Haunted House, Terror Tomb and Toyland Tours was worth it? They looked clean (initially), but that's a rather pathetic reason to be pleased with them.

:p

Exactly.

Almost every retheme at Merlin parks since around 2000 has basically involved lots of bright paint and/or sponsorship.

No proper craftmanship. What is there to appreciate from an enthusist perspective?

CBeebies Land will be built to appeal at young children, not enthusiasts. They had to go for a big IP kids area to compete with Drayton and Blackpool (and to an extent Paultons). As I said previously, from what I could see today CBeebies Land is looking really nice. I loved the Farm and will really miss it however I have to admit that Towers are doing the right thing.

:)

Squirrel Nutty isn't officially an IP though is it. It was just based upon it. Otherwise it would be 'Squirrel Nutkin'...

I don't understand why this retheme has any less substance. In the old one you sat in a giant acorn with a squirrel on the back - a squirrel based upon a then very recognisable character.

Now you sit in a *thing* (not sure what it is yet) while a yellow blob sits on the back - a blob who is instantly recognisable to the little ones across the country.

It's not like some deep and meaningful back story has been torn apart to be replaced by some piece of crap - a squirrel and his acorn has been replaced by the icon that starts and ends a nation of children's days. Simples.

Why is it that every time someone on here raises something about an older attraction possibly being better in some way than what replaced it, more or less everyone starts posting about rose tinted spectacles? What if it... isn't? What's wrong with wanting characters with... character? :S

Is nostalgia a bad thing? It's one of the most characteristic feelings of all. I didn't even go on the ride before 2010 so it's hardly a distant memory.

The pathetically nostalgic rural naivety of sitting in a slow moving GRP acorn is what made Squirrel Nutty good.

Scott said:
I don't understand why this retheme has any less substance. In the old one you sat in a giant acorn with a squirrel on the back - a squirrel based upon a then very recognisable character.

Because it's the same attraction but with bright paint slapped on it?

BigAl said:
Why is it that every time someone on here raises something about an older attraction possibly being better in some way than what replaced it, more or less everyone starts posting about rose tinted spectacles? What if it... isn't? What's wrong with wanting characters with... character? :S

Because 'Squirrel Nutty' never really had any character? I mean, it was hardly an amazing theme. It didn't have a plot behind it, or anything unique, as far as I could tell. It was just loosely themed around squirrels. This re-work will probably bring in a bit more depth, imagination and 'character' to the ride, as well as give it a much-needed refurbishment.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Scott said:

Because it's the same attraction but with bright paint slapped on it?
Yes. Exactly. So why does it suddenly have *less* substance and depth?

Yes, the Squirrel Nutty Ride had such substance and depth. I mean, it really can be compared to Beckett's 'Waiting for Godot' in terms of the deep existentialist themes that it explored in such detail (!)

Being pushed around the new area by the new area's overall mascot, almost like a guided tour, makes sense to me.