• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

djtruefitt

TS Team
Please continue discussion on the 2014 development of Old MacDonald's Farmyard in this new topic!

From TowersStreet news today:

In a surprise announcement this morning, Alton Towers have submitted a planning application for the retheme of the Old MacDonald’s farmyard area of the park – as has been hinted by the park in the past as the ‘major’ addition for the 2014 season. It has been rumoured for some time that something was happening to the Old MacDonald’s Farm area as it was noted that the area was not going to be featured as usual in the Christmas line-up for the resort.

These plans have confirmed that the Resort indeed intends to refresh the area, which first opened as the Britannia Building Society Farm back in 1989 . It has been speculated for some time now that the refresh may bring a new IP (Intellectual Property or more simply, a brand name licensed to be used) to the area with it, so could we possibly see the area returning back to the old style in which it first opened. The rumoured IP tie in appears to be further supported by the lack of specific names, themes, or brands in the planning application, which the planners state have been left out due to “commercial confidentiality”.

The plans that have been submitted can be viewed on the Staffordshire Moorlands planning website in full. However from the plans put online today, we have summarised the following changes to the area:

• Dung Heap to be removed and replaced with ‘low level’ play equipment in a smaller area
  • Dovecote to be removed, which currently stands between Berry Bish Bash and Doodle Doo Derby
  • Minor extension to the current Berry Bish Bash attraction for new family and baby changing facilities
  • New toilet block located in the old ice tent area
  • New pieces of theming for Riverbank Eye Spy in the form of themed characters
  • New pieces of theming for the Tractor Ride in the form of themed characters
  • The old ice tent is to be removed and replaced with a new ‘green space’, including an activity area, and performance area and back of house area made of portacabins
  • The performance area shall consit of a slightly raised stage area, which can cater for 3 “performances”. Could this hint towards new shows or attractions for the parks younger visitors?
  • The ice tent area is to feature Astroturf, a marquee, and surrounded by 3.5m sound barrier fences due to proximity to local residents
  • Activity area within ice tent area including 4 small tents for covered activities, surrounded by open lawns and a large canopy over the stage area.
  • Part of entrance “barn” to be demolished and remaining parts rethemed
  • The existing animal areas appear to be remaining untouched by the redevelopment, hinting that traces of the farming theme will remain

More details and planning documents can be found here: http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/2014-plans-revealed/

Re: 2014: Old MacDonald's Farmyard Developments

It's a pity that there are no new rides being added or any developments for Storybook Land and Adventure Land (so far). I'm glad that something is being done though.

It's about time that the park realises that they need to add theming to rides when they redevelop an area and I'm glad that they are doing this.

I hope this isn't all for 2014 though...

Looking at the proposed plans, there are a few changes that I don't think have been mentioned.

- The education center will remain,
- The singing barn/guinea pigs/rabbits will become a shop.
- The (never usually open) Coffee Barrr will become a cafe
- The building joint onto that (where the ferrets and donkeys live) will become a play area.
- There also seems to be a woodland trail near Squirrel nutty.

It's also interesting to see animal quarantine, as that suggests animals will be staying.

It also seems we are getting another entertainment van (or the park keepers van is moving there) as it is mentioned quite a bit in the sound report. Audio will also be added to dung heap area and animal area of the current farm.

We don't know what the theming additions will be though, but we do know that aspects of the farm's current theme are being removed. Hopefully the new theming will be just as good as what replaced it, but other than Battle Galleons and Sea Life's exterior, I'm not convinced about this being a good idea at all.

I'm also not convinced that this will be as successful as it should be due to the lack of... well... rides.

No new coaster to fill the gap that Beastie left is plain daft, though I'm glad the maze in the Dungheap is being dropped in place of a better play area. Thing is, is two playgrounds in one area needed? Sure, it's safer and cheaper than adding a new ride, but how is that justification? Will parents want to pay that much to stick their kids in playgrounds when parks like Lightwater Valley offer the same thing for a lot less?

This is Alton Towers, they ought to be capable of more than this, surely?

And what's happening with Storybook Land? They can't surely be keeping it as it is?

I'm more interested in seeing how they'll retheme Riverbank Eye-Spy and fill the voids left when they demolish the Farmyard entrance and the dovecote. They're two of the most iconic aspects of the area and really do need replacing if they are to go.

Shame about the loss of the Signing Barn as well. There's space for a shop where the empty Ice Show shop is, yet they're removing an attraction for one? Sure, remove the attraction if it no longer fits with the new theme, but why turn it into a shop when there's an empty shop not far from it? :S

I have a feeling a few things have been omitted....

Anyway, NEW TOILETS :D No new ones for an £18 million pound coaster but new ones for a play area? To quote Enter Shikari 'You haven't thought this through, have you boys?'

Considering how cheap kids rides can be, I'm very surprised to see that none are being added. The only plus point I can think of is that they may pour all the funds into the theming, and the area could look fantastic. I'm sure that as its a kids IP we won't be seeing any shipping containers or satellite dishes, so they must have realised they can't do it on the cheap.

Very odd that there's not going to be a new ride, I can only imagine that this new show or performance will be marketed in the same way Madagascar live was at Chessington.

Still it all hangs on what IP they've decided on!

Have they seen what Europa Park have been building for the last year for their family development next year, with IP to boot? And Europa don't even claim to be second to Disney!

I'm surprised they've not packed in some kids rides. They may be planning to but I doubt it somehow.

EuroSatch said:
Have they seen what Europa Park have been building for the last year for their family development next year, with IP to boot? And Europa don't even claim to be second to Disney!

Neither does Alton Towers.

Merlin claimed to be the 2nd biggest attraction operator in the world, which statistically it is. Though seriously next year better include some new rides, there have been no genuine family additions in ages.

No, Alton Towers do. They are the headline attraction of Merlin, and Merlin whilst not directly saying they have the 2nd largest theme park behind Disney, the imply very heavily through casual use of language that it is. Whilst Alton Towers may occasionally believe they are independently run, they are controlled and paraded by Merlin.

We all know they aren't the 2nd largesy to disney, but in terms of their asset base anf visitor footfall to ALL Merlin attractions they can bend statistics to seem that way.

But seriously, no new attractions except for a potential remake of berry bish bash? That's pretty terrible.

Merlin quote

"We are the 2nd largest operator of visitor based attractions after Disney"

I know it's easier to make a point if we suggest that Alton Towers puts itself 2nd to Disney but they haven't and don't. Though they have been known to point out they have a rollercoaster that rates higher than any Disney ride (shame it's 19 years old).

It will be stupid if there are no new rides, I'm not expecting any but all they have put into the planning application is that which isn't covered by the GDO, hence why storybook land isn't included. It could happen.... But it won't.

I'm sure kids love play equipment, I know I did when I was a kid. So you could argue that it's great that there will be two play areas. However in my opinion you come to expect so much more from a theme park such as Alton Towers. Compared to other parks in the world Towers does lack in kids rides. You'd have thought that investment re-theming the main kids area on park would have leant perfectly to adding a few new small kids rides at the same time. I'm sure you can get some decent things from Zamperla for example and theme them quite nicely for relatively little cost.

I know it's still possible that they may be rides included next year but it does look unlikely which is a great shame.

:)

Even if they buy some fairly low end rides such as a carousel, maybe a small travelling style coaster and possibly a tiny flat ride such as the frog hopper. They are all fairly tiny, wouldn't need any major ground work and could be slapped almost anywhere.

Anything like that would work well so long as its themed. My personal feeling is that there will be more to this area than just a retheme. I'm fairly sure some new additions will be added that are not currently in the plans.

I can't remember who but somebody speculated in the old thread that this could be a two year thing? I could see that working well if it was a route that Towers were planning to take.

It would allow them to market the area twice and would allow for a decent budget to be spent on the retheme followed by a decent budget next year to be spent on a star attraction. That could be a better option than trying to do it all t once.

Of course, they might do nothing of the sort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Dave said:
Merlin quote

I know it's easier to make a point if we suggest that Alton Towers puts itself 2nd to Disney but they haven't and don't. Though they have been known to point out they have a rollercoaster that rates higher than any Disney ride (shame it's 19 years old).

Of course they have, by default. Merlin use a quote that could be very easily misread by your average Joe. Alton Towers are par of the Merlin group, and if they don't live by what Merlin say as 2nd to Disney then they are not operating in line with the group ethos and their position under Merlin should be questioned. Merlin and AT are not as separate entities as people like to imagine.

Scott said:
I can't remember who but somebody speculated in the old thread that this could be a two year thing? I could see that working well if it was a route that Towers were planning to take.

It would allow them to market the area twice and would allow for a decent budget to be spent on the retheme followed by a decent budget next year to be spent on a star attraction. That could be a better option than trying to do it all t once.

Of course, they might do nothing of the sort!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

That would be me. :p

James said:
There's a small chance this kids area development will be spread over two years. With 2014 being the major phase and 2015 having some more minor investments placed. Possible 2015 kids coaster?

One thing Alton Towers needs is a kids roller coaster - they've needed one desperately since The Beastie left. I know they are fully aware something like this is needed at the park. So financially it would make sense to spread a project like this over two years. 2014 will most likely be the bigger phase, with everything outlined in the planning application. Then the second year would be 'phase two', likely to be a smaller phase that concentrates on one new star attraction or multiple new ones.

It's ideal for the marketing team as IP areas (see Nick Land, Blackpool and Thomas Land, Drayton) like this can be milked in the second year to continue to attract families. What better way to do this than to have a new ride in their latest and best kids area. Perfect for the marketing team to play with.

Obviously nothing may be planned for the area in 2015. It could just be a 2014 project then 2015 will go back to the young thrill market. Although the family market has been neglected for a few years, with nothing substantial being built and a kids roller coaster is needed. I have my bets on that being built in 2015 and the family market being concentrated on for two years.

While I'm not overly thrilled by this development. It has the potential to be great, a new show looks promising, more open areas and what could be quite an immersive theme (from what I've heard) looks set to make this quite a nice year for families.

The only downfall of this will be having no new attractions. Even if something was planned for 2015, kids flats are the cheapest rides you can get, it's rather foolish of Alton Towers to have not managed to get at least 3 or 4 new kids rides. They've got the land for it! I'd guess it's down to most of the money being spent on the IP or simply Merlin not giving them the funds to buy new rides.

It's a shame there's no new rides, but I'm not going to write this off just yet. Lets see what the end product looks it!

I agree that this could well be a two-phase development, with the second phase being in 2015. You've got to imagine that they are thinking about adding a kids coaster at some points and it would make sense to do this in 2015 as this would help promote the new area further in a second year. Two kids/family orientated years would seem likely as well seeing as the last couple of years have mainly focused on the thrill market.

Saying that, I still think it will be a shame if no new rides are added next year. They just need to be small little flats. I've just had a quick look at Zamperla's website and they have some great looking options.

Another point regarding this development. It will be interesting to see what happens with Storybook Land. Clearly there isn't much shown on the plans regarding this but you have to imagine that there will be changes. I would hazard a guess that Squirrel Nutty will receive a form of re-theme, with modifications to the current theming rather than anything being demolished and re-built. If this happens in then makes you wonder about Adventure Land; will Sonic get a re-theme maybe? It will be right next to the lovely new area and you can't help but this it may stick out like a sore thumb.

:)

EuroSatch said:
Dave said:
Merlin quote

Of course they have, by default. Merlin use a quote that could be very easily misread by your average Joe. Alton Towers are par of the Merlin group, and if they don't live by what Merlin say as 2nd to Disney then they are not operating in line with the group ethos and their position under Merlin should be questioned. Merlin and AT are not as separate entities as people like to imagine.

No. They haven't. Alton Towers have never, and will never, advertise themselves as "second to Disney" and to remark they have is a ridiculous interpretation of a scarcely used fact in the public domain.

Merlin use that quote only in the group material, on the group website, and in financial reports. It's aimed at folks who care about how the group performs, not your average guest. In fact, considering all the parks position themselves independently in the eyes of the public, most visitors probably don't even know, or care who Merlin are, let alone even visited the group website to read that quote.

Back on topic, it's an interesting development, but I'm disappointed there's currently nothing 'new' included. Though, that doesn't mean there can't be other new family/junior attractions in other areas of the park next year.

Not that its much of interest but the port a cabins are already behind the Ice Tent as they were used for the skaters and already have showers and toilets for entertainment staff. There were a least 3 each side with a path down the middle.