• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: Old MacDonald's Farmyard Developments

As most of this area doesn't need planning permission, we could possibly see some new rides next year, they could fit a few decent small rides where the donkeys go and the chickens near the dung heap. Probably not a coaster, but you could fit a few like Thomas land and Nick land have. I would personally add the following rides, all of which are easy to install, are very cheap from Zamperla and can be themed how ever you want:

demolition_derby_gallery-5.jpg

crazybus_main.jpg

sambatower_gallery-9.jpg

Just look at Thomas Land, they now have 13 different rides. The current farm and Storybook land area has 8 rides and that includes the animals and singing barn!

dont want to sound critical without actually knowing the theme or anything, but i feel this is going to be another missed opportunity. I had hoped they would incorporate the area where spinball is and make a 'mini' park, a la' Thomas Land

Shouldn't Alton Towers be looking to better parks like Drayton Manor and the Pleasure Beach, rather than equaling them? Loads of parks opt to plonk a load of Zamperla flats in. What about Gerstlauer, Mack or Interpark?

djtruefitt said:
As most of this area doesn't need planning permission, we could possibly see some new rides next year, they could fit a few decent small rides where the donkeys go and the chickens near the dung heap. Probably not a coaster, but you could fit a few like Thomas land and Nick land have. I would personally add the following rides, all of which are easy to install, are very cheap from Zamperla and can be themed how ever you want:

demolition_derby_gallery-5.jpg

crazybus_main.jpg

sambatower_gallery-9.jpg

Just look at Thomas Land, they now have 13 different rides. The current farm and Storybook land area has 8 rides and that includes the animals and singing barn!

I for one desperately hope they stay away from these things. They're in nearly every kids area in every park you come across, and frankly look cheap and tacky even when themed in their shiny acrylic gloriousness. They should be looking at kids rides that distinguish the park from other parks, ie. ones that haven't been seen in this country yet.

BigAl said:
Shouldn't Alton Towers be looking to better parks like Drayton Manor and the Pleasure Beach, rather than equaling them? Loads of parks opt to plonk a load of Zamperla flats in. What about Gerstlauer, Mack or Interpark?

Yes they should, which is why I'll be very disappointed if there are no new kids rides next year. I only mentioned Zamperla as I know they have a good offering of kids rides and I'd imagine they are reasonably priced. Any form of kids rides from any manufacturer will do though, I just feel there needs to be something. Of course they shouldn't just plonk in new rides for the sake of it. But Towers are a big enough and good enough theme park to select a few new rides, ensure they are fully themed and build them in to create a fun and immersive area. At least you'd like to think they can do that.

:)

I know that there are currently any new rides planned for the area but at least they are investing in something. All of Merlin's investments next year seem to be a bit underwhelming. Things like a new climbing frame at Legoland and 2 re-themed rides at Chessington really aren't going to draw in the crowds. At least Alton have decided to give the entire area a re-theme and and we could get a really good IP that makes the area more attractive. As they have removed the singing barn I am sure there would be a pretty big IP to fill that space with related toys?! Possibly looking into it to much but that may be the reason they are putting in a shop.

Whilst I agree Alton Towers should be trying to be better than Drayton Manor and co, there is a reason those Zamperla rides are in practically every park, including Disney parks, and that's because they're popular! Sometimes, especially after a difficult year, it's a good idea to stick to the tried and tested.

Alton Towers has the upper hand of being the most popular and biggest theme park in the country. So even if they installed the same types of rides as other parks, they will still grab in the guests and be perceived as the better park - even if what they offered could be found elsewhere

Also, kids wouldn't care, or even notice, that different parks have similar rides. All they would see is a 'Thomas & Friends' or 'Bob The Builder' ride.

I'm really hoping some little kiddie rides may be added, and the reason they weren't on the planning permission is because they may hint at the IP. I know that's wishful thinking, but sometimes positive ignorance is better than negative certainty :p

Kids might not notice, but their parents and their wallets certainly will! :p

BigAl said:
Kids might not notice, but their parents and their wallets certainly will! :p

I'm not convinced parents would notice either, unless they had a keen eye or were theme park enthusiasts themselves. People who aren't particularly passionate about certain things (movies, video games etc) will often purchase without noticing or caring about the similarities.

Thing is, people check sites like TripAdvisor all the time. Some of the smaller parks on there already have a better rating than Alton Towers. And with less money floating around now than a few years ago, people are much more careful with it. If Alton Towers can't offer a premium product for their premium prices, people will look elsewhere.

Reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor make me wish for the day we can enforce a paternal suitability test...

All about what people perceive when on park, and usually, a high level of complaints boil down to lack of value for money and long queues... Indeed, value for money is actually linked into the long queues aspect, as people want to ride enough of the rides on the park to justify the expenditure... As such, the smaller (and less busier) parks tend to succeed well in this format, as they cost half the price and people end up riding more because the park isn't full of 20k plus others...

BigAl said:
Thing is, people check sites like TripAdvisor all the time. Some of the smaller parks on there already have a better rating than Alton Towers. And with less money floating around now than a few years ago, people are much more careful with it. If Alton Towers can't offer a premium product for their premium prices, people will look elsewhere.

A ride is a ride for small kids.

The theming would be what was differentiating Alton.

People still tend to go by word of mouth and marketing rather than websites. The family market still consists of adults who do not trust the legitimacy of the internet fully.

Alton Towers is known as the UKs biggest theme park. It has a strong reputation for being generally a great theme park to visit or stay over.

Sure it's expensive, but good luck finding a theme park the size of Alton that's cheap! You get what you pay for. You visit the UKs leading theme park, you pay a higher price. Although I would say on the whole it's very much worth it.

Johno said:
BigAl said:

An aspect of recent attractions that I've yet to see done sufficiently for the size of park that Alton Towers is.

EuroSatch said:
Have they seen what Europa Park have been building for the last year for their family development next year, with IP to boot? And Europa don't even claim to be second to Disney!

Sorry just re-read this and it's bugging me...

... have they seen this years family offering at Europa Park... A path re-theme. I know we must glory in all things EP but not every year there is high budget...

Still wish these plans had some rides

As for Storybook land and Adventure land, certainly it looks like SL is being included the planning application only covers stuff that isn't included in the GDO so it is very vague. I'm not expecting much if i'm honest and don't think Drayton need to be too worried just yet... But they might surprise us.

Quoted from the EP 2012 thread:

First pictures of the press conference from today are available. The new enchanted forest part seems great!  Thanks to Orici from epfans.ch.

News:
- Mobile App Update for iOS and Android with current wating times and mobile ticketing.
- Information at Main Entrance and Information at Euro Tower renovated and expanded
- Hotel El Andaluz 83 renovated rooms new with air conditioning
- EP Express will get dynamic information signs ("5 Minutes until next train... etc."
- Repainting and renovation of many areas and toilets around the park
- Fjord Rafting "lift hill" is now indoor with more "World of the Trolls" scenes
- Expansion of the Camp Resort in the next years
- Silver Star new exhibition and new staff uniforms
- Magic Cinema 4D renovated with new interior design

Enhanced forest news:
- Six new fairy tales
- New toilet building
- Additions in the already existing enhanced forest part (mill wheel...)

Much more pictures and facts (German) at epfans.ch:
http://www.epfans.ch/board1-europa-park ... tart-2013/

In addition Europa-Park posted a "New for 2013" movie on Youtube

All in all much great stuff for a quiet year. 

A hell of a lot more than just theming added to a path

BigAl said:
Johno said:
BigAl said:

An aspect of recent attractions that I've yet to see done sufficiently for the size of park that Alton Towers is.

Well exactly. Alton really have to pull it out of the bag but this seems like a pathetic attempt. Nothing innovative to see, but some 'theming' and well, Drayton and other parks theming attempts at their kids areas have been second to none and really well done.

So that's it. No new rides. Worries about theming. Unless they're adding a large number of new rides under the GDO, then I'm worried this will just be an 'off-year' again after a surprisingly good coaster addition.