• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

Re: 2014: Old MacDonald's Farmyard Developments

I don't disagree, though a lot of parks wouldn't install anything the season after an £18 million investment. And on this one Towers wont give a monkeys about enthusiast opinion (not that they ever really do). They will only care if it engages kids. Wouldn't surprise me if this isn't a 2 or 3 year project anyway.

In other news it looks like Bish Bash is closed for the rest of the season.

581833_593305150712359_334270554_n.jpg

Maybe having spaced-out children's/family rides is a good thing? Hence the focus on exploration around the park. Although the offering for young children is still quite limited, it looks like the family in the blog post had a full day.

Once kids get older the idea of 'number of rides = value for money' comes into play. I obviously cannot speak for a modern three year old but I had no interest in rides, of any shape or size, till I was about twelve! And before then I definitely wouldn't go on a ride without either of my parents (and of course many of these small flats cannot accommodate adults) In fact, my first ride on Oblivion aged thirteen was with my Dad!

If the area does end up 'just' refurbished for 2014, I would be interested to see how it goes down with parents, and if more rides are demanded for the target demographic.
Personally I like the area as it's a nice change of pace.

I think more small child friendly flats or even larger attractions in each area of the park would be better, especially near big rides where parent-swap takes place (if that is still a thing?) Ambitious though it sounds, I'm thinking things like Tomahawk at Portadventura, which entwines with the 'grown up' Stampida. Or even like the deceptively simple Ronde des Rondins at Parc Asterix (http://rcdb.com/1459.htm?p=0), which I rode dozens of times on my first visit.
Dotting the attractions around would encourage exploration, let kids feel more 'grown up' and hopefully turn them into the enthusiasts of the future!

But probably a logistical nightmare with buggies, especially in hilly areas like X-Sector, and obviously the fact that there probably isn't any space.

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Trying to compare this development to DMP or BPB is a little disingenuous, because we're looking at two distinctly different approaches to children's areas. Both BPB and Drayton have thrown (most of) their kids rides into a single area with an umbrella theme so have one area that is effectively supposed to be appealing to all age groups. (And both seem to be fairly successful in doing this, because of the brands they are working with)

Alton don't take this approach and instead chose a long time ago to go down the route of having two (and on occasions three) distinct children's areas, one aimed much more heavily at the younger aged group (your 1-4 year olds) and another aimed at 4+ kids. (i.e Old Macdonald's Farm aimed at 1-4 and Cloud Cuckoo Land 4+) Of course there is some cross over attractions, but by and large since the mid 90s that is how these two areas have been focussed (with SBL and Adventure Land formerly acting as stepping stone lands between these two area).

By and large this division seems to have been successful in the park; and recent additions to CCL (and now these latest farm plans) seem to suggest the park are happy to continue for this to be the case. If you look at CCL there's very little up there that is either a) suitable or b) appealing to the 1-4 age group, and similarly you can imagine from 4+ (depending on their speed of development), the much more sensory attractions of the farmyard will soon start to be less appealing (with a couple of notable exceptions, which I suspect are there mainly to keep this age group busy whilst visiting the farm with their younger siblings).

Basically what I think these plans are confirming is that this area will continue to be aimed at the 1-4 age group, and therefore we're unlikely to see any notable ride additions around the farm, as there's no point when dealing with this age group. Once you got you basic boat ride/vintage cars/carouselcombination, you may as well just retheme these and focus on new play equipment and visual attractions, as this group will respond much more favourably to a different sensory experience over a different ride experience.

I do also wonder if with the advent of the new Big Top entertainment complex, along with the rumours of a 2015 Adventure Land coaster and the by this point imminent (if the MTDP is to be believed) departure of Sonic Spinball will see Adventure Land/Storybook Land return to their original intention of a stepping stone area from the Farm to Cloud Cuckoo Land, though I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

I think Ive got a decent idea of which new IP we'll be getting, but I shant say incase I look silly after.

Im looking forwards to see what happens in Old MacDonalds Farm - its currently my favourite themed area in the park, so hope it keeps as high quality. My main concern is that all the rethemes so far (Cred St - Cloud Cuckoo Land and Merrie England - Mutiny Bay) havent been big re themes. Just a slap of paint and some extra props, essentially the areas have remained the same.
Merlin seem to be against building new... well... buildings.

Ah well. Fingers crossed theres lots of hidden things for the new area as its under the planning thingymabob where they can lie their asses off and get away with it. And that it will be a solid IP.

Also with only a few weeks left of the season, surely they have to announce it soon? Right?

I'd assume they will close the whole farm by Scarefest and then boarder off the area with some posters advertising the new area. Scarefest will be the ideal time to advertise the new land so I can see the IP being revealed imminently.

They'd surely be mad not to promote this during Scarefest. The park will be busy so it is a perfect opportunity. So hopefully we will be hearing more details sooner rather than later.

:)

I don't understand why there is secrecy involved in a children's area theme. Surely it makes more sense to promote it now, so kids see it. If the deal had been agreed, its not like someone else can come along and steal it last minute.

It just feels last minute and rushed again, which result in a rushed product and worse experience for guests.

My only hope is that they could be saving the announcement for when they announce the stock market flotation to give a bigger first impression, but I think I am clutching at straws there.

Ian

Rob said:
They'd surely be mad not to promote this during Scarefest. The park will be busy so it is a perfect opportunity. So hopefully we will be hearing more details sooner rather than later.

:)

Pretty sure everybody said this last year about The Smiler ;)

...but they would be crazy not to have at least SOME promotion about the new area. Even if they just announce the overhaul and some concept images, without disclosing any IP partnership.

Indeed I dont understand the secrecy.

For a marketing point of view the secrecy with a 'world beating' mutli-million pound rollercoaster is a sensible idea. It keeps people interested and allows a slow drip-feed of news to push this further.

Families arent going to be interested by a secret. What does work is pester power, if they plastered the site with images of the IP saying 'for 2014' children would be very interested and in turn the parents become interested.
Not rocket science.

Only thing I can think holding it back is the IP. Unless Alton are really dragging their feet.

This was posted on the TS Facebook page yesterday of Berry Bish Bash, its starting to be taken apart. Most of the themeing that was hanging up has now been removed. You can also see in this photo that the guns have been removed.

1379861_541394205931028_1091902408_n.jpg

Kinda sad, that. I always thought Berry Bish Bash was great fun and it had nice theming.

This is my gripe for 2014.

I understand they need new kids attractions to rival Drayton and Blackpool.

The sad thing is, if there's one area of the park that didn't look poor, it's the farm...

When you consider how awful Dark Forest and parts of Valley look...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

In terms of secrecy, it's probably nothing to do with enthusiast hype, it's more to do with licensing issues I suspect, as worked out with whoever our mysterious partner transpires to be...

I would agree with the above the secrecy will be dictated by the IP, they may not want to announce anything until the plans get approval too.

I would assume if the IP is linked to a children's channel, they will want to use their channels to advertise this to its fullest. So it would make sense to not allow it to be 'found out' until the development is at an advance stage (or at least being constructed).

I'm sure there will be nothing to worry about with it not being announced just yet.

djtruefitt said:
This was posted on the TS Facebook page yesterday of Berry Bish Bash, its starting to be taken apart. Most of the themeing that was hanging up has now been removed. You can also see in this photo that the guns have been removed.

1379861_541394205931028_1091902408_n.jpg

...Wee bit off topic here, but I always thought that BBB's space would've been nice for a small dark ride, what will be going here, unless it just a re theme (well, sort off in Merlin's case).

Well I may be jumping to conclusions but there is this page hanging around the internet (i know people can edit this themselves), but its not saying anything about 2014 attractions. Its apparently a DVD being released in 2015????

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Programmes_from_Alton_Towers#Images

Front Cover
Noddy, Kipper, Dipsy, Brum, Pingu, Milo, Bella, Max, Pat, Thomas, Rusty, Peppa and Sam at Alton Towers

This DVD will be released in 10th January 2015 by Abbey Home Media

Remember the plans have a code of ATTR SNOWHILL... So could snowhill be literally to do with snow? Put the word snowhill into google and you can find details about SnowHill in Antartica which is home to hundreds to emporer penguins...

Hhmmm Penguins and what is mentioned on that DVD release? Pingu?

If not Pingu, SnowHill could also relate to another popular penguin franchise... Happy Feet...

Of course, it could all be a BIG coincidence... :)

Just thought I would put it out there.

The fact that it mentions 'Thomas and Friends' would tell me this is fake.

That sounds rather promising. Good find!

Riverbank Eye Spy and the Dung Heap will be closed from next Monday (7th October) due to preparations for the 2014 land. Confirmed on AT website.

Just noticed it has already been posted elsewhere. But still, interesting that these attractions are closing just before the park's busiest time of the year. It will be interesting to see if this affects families much during Scarefest!