• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CGM's Sketchbook

CGM

TS Member
I considered putting this in the RCT/NoLimits section but as it's neither of these things, I put it here. Maybe this would be more suited to the Cafe or put into the Art Thread. Please feel free to move it to the correct place if this isn't it.

After seeing a number of beautiful looking parks made in RCT3, I thought I would have a go at creating a fictional park of my own but drawing it instead.

This is the first sketch that I'm working on. Once it's done, I hope to go over this drawing in fine liner and colour it somehow. It's an Orient themed B&M floorless coaster inspired in no small part by Dragon Khan and Dæmonen at Tivoli. I'm trying to resist the urge to paint it red but will probably end up doing so.

Some of the perspective requires a bit of a tweak here and there.

Illustrated_Park_2_zps3ceae14c.jpg

Re: The Illustrated Park

That looks really good, love the curved shape of the roll.

Out of interest when the site was formed there was a suggestion to turn the RCT/NoLimits Sub-Forum into the Ideas/Creativity thread (can't remember what we were calling it at the time). I'm fully in favour of still doing this if it means more concept art like this has a proper home.

:)

Nice work. I think you and Georgia need to have a draw-off :p

RE: having a dedicated sub forum for all things creative, I'm all for it. Though I think RCT/No Limits would still deserve it's own home.

Pretty much the same but now with more trees and a path that runs underneath the overbanked turn.

It's about ready for colour now.

Illustrated_Park_3_zps6aef6277.jpeg

Can I just say how amazing that looks CGM! Amazing talent there! :)

Sorry for lack of updates. This next one isn't a hugely exciting development, I've gone over all of the lines with a graphics tablet in preparation for colour. I'll probably reinforce some of the lines later on to bring out certain objects if the colour doesn't do it.

Illustrated_Park_Lines_zps692b1c9d.png

That is ridiculously good. Ridiculously is an understatement in this case :)

Colour! I've Pretty much done the left hand side of the drawing now.

5b2cf780-c461-4869-8e08-c3659b403001_zps3692865a.jpg

A red B&M sit-down with an Asian theme... that's rare, isn't it. :p

Seriously though, this is a fantastic piece of art. Really very well done. That zero-G, especially, is great. And I love the waterfall, really peaceful.

The only problem, where are the guests going to queue up to ride this masterpiece?

Nick said:
A red B&M sit-down with an Asian theme... that's rare, isn't it. :p

Seriously though, this is a fantastic piece of art. Really very well done. That zero-G, especially, is great. And I love the waterfall, really peaceful.

The only problem, where are the guests going to queue up to ride this masterpiece?

The queue entrance is conveniently out of shot, much like many things in this drawing. To get through it you can walk through the Pagoda or round the sides. The building with the blue roof isn't the station by the way, I have it down as a food court or roofed picnic area. I may have to do a layout diagram at some point. To be honest, I made up most of this drawing as I went along. The next one will hopefully have more planning.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

IllustratedPark-130203212850000_zpsc376fbaf.png

I just wanted to try out that zero-G- mine's not nearly as attractive. I added a hill after the loop and a corkscrew- seemed right to me. I will try and learn how to use Sketchup for this, I just love the idea of it. Unless you don't want me to, in which case I'll leave it. If you allow it, then I'll make the track out of Newton, and I'll try and recreate it as best as I can. It'll definitely be a challenge- one I'll probably fail- but it seems to good to resist.

What do you reckon? ;)

Nick said:
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

IllustratedPark-130203212850000_zpsc376fbaf.png

I just wanted to try out that zero-G- mine's not nearly as attractive. I added a hill after the loop and a corkscrew- seemed right to me. I will try and learn how to use Sketchup for this, I just love the idea of it. Unless you don't want me to, in which case I'll leave it. If you allow it, then I'll make the track out of Newton, and I'll try and recreate it as best as I can. It'll definitely be a challenge- one I'll probably fail- but it seems to good to resist.

What do you reckon? ;)

Well that's a nice surprise! That layout is very close to what I had in mind. The only differences really are that I imagined a dive loop after the airtime hill going into the turn under the bridge and interlocking corkscrews going into the brakes rather than just the one.

If you do want to make a full NL version, go for it. I certainly have no objection. Thanks for even considering it and for what you've done so far, it was totally unexpected.

OK, I'll probably, if I've got time tonight, make a plan incorporating what you've suggested. The dive loop (presuming you mean the sit-down B&M one, unlike the other one- thing Kumba's not Saw's) and the interlocking corkscrews seem like a good idea. And if you don't mind, after the breaks, I want to have a dive to the right- under a tunnel and under the path- before a right hand turn before hitting the breaks. I'll make it clearer by showing what I mean, but it would increase the throughput ever so slightly and make a more exciting non-rider experience.

For the station, I was planning on having it below where pagoda is now, so it'll be out the way. The path heading out of the right side of the picture would go right round, under the hill and over the final breaks.

If that all sounds alright...

2c35f411-1b0b-422d-8b6f-7698315037ff_zpsc775581e.jpg

The drawing is done!

Pinickity things that are technically wrong:

• I'm pretty sure that B&M never use single walkways on their brake runs but I left it that way for aesthetic reasons
  • The track ties are far too spaced out
  • The shaping of the overbank is a bit off
  • There are a still a number of perspective issues
  • The bamboo plant looks more like maize

Other than that I think it's alright.

I can honestly say I'd have that on my wall. It's beautiful!

This could easily be mistaken for genuine concept art for the proposition for a new park area, absolutely stunning.