Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThemeParkCrafter, 20th Sep 2015.

?

Do you like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    51.5%
  3. A bit

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. micksalt

micksalt TowersStreet Member

Well, it looks like that could be it for Charlie with the announcement of 2016's closed rides. I cannot see anyone backing a campaign to force a U-turn either.

2. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I'd imagine Charilie being closed for 2016 is largely down to the contract for the IP being up. It's been strongly rumoured that it was a 10 year contract so 2015 would have been the final year. Clearly Towers have no plans to either renew the contact or re-theme the ride at present.

If this is the case I can't imagine Charlie ever opening again in its current form.

:)

3. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

If it is a ten year contract, then they could open it for FHT and the first month of the season, but I really don't think it will. It also uses quite a few staff as well that may contribute to the closure

4. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    How about just ripping all of the Charlie branding out and having a new ride as "Chocolate Tours". Cheap makeover until they can fully replace it.

James likes this.
  5. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Alton Towers confirmed on Twitter at the end of the season that there will be a new chocolate supplier for 2016 (hence the lack of chococlate in retail outlets at the end of Scarefest and Fireworks). Seeing as they have been with Nestle it is safe to assume that the new supplier will be Cadbury. It's not going to happen but they could have re-branded the ride as a tour through a Cadbury chocolate factory (in a fun way of course) and had a choclate shop at the exit.

:)

Stelios, D4n, stretchy and 3 others like this.
  6. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    A bit like cadburys world in brum?

7. James

James TS Founding Member

It would be pretty easy to add a shop to CATCF too, just fit out that ugly corridor as a small shop, it has got the floor space.

I'm not overly bothered about Charlie as a ride. Although it's such a large building and stands out so much, it will look awful being closed all season.

8. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Hopefully they'll remove the sign (especially if it contains copyrighted material) and it will just look like the Nickelodeon building. At least then it won't look as bad on the exterior and won't disappoint first time guests.

9. jenniferelka

jenniferelka TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Okay, is it bad that I've never been on this ride?

I visit every year but only about once so I've never really justified spending time riding it.

10. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    You missed nothing.

11. jenniferelka

jenniferelka TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Ah, thought as much.

Stelios likes this.
  12. QTXAdsy

QTXAdsy TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Black Hole
    In an ideal world, Merlin will eventually transform it into an attraction with an original theme. I'm sure that half of the budget for Charlie was simply just to secure the rights and as of a result the lack of money gave us the poor quality attraction we have. So unless you have a s**t ton of money, I wouldn't go for any IP if it means the final product looks bad, they're simply more trouble than they're worth IMO. Then again this is Merlin so I'm not holding my breath, they really seem to do things the hard way.

13. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Just read the book instead. It's a lot more entertaining.

14. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

When I was a kid, I used to love the books by Enid Blyton my favourites being The Wishing Chair, and The Faraway tree. Absolutely bristling with imagination and would make a fantastic ride.

Unfortunately, not well known enough to a modern audience... but if Hollywood is watching...

15. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

I'm looking forward to the Simworx Tunnel they'll install in there in a few years' time.