• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Do you like Charlie and The Chocolate Factory

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • A bit

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters

ThemeParkCrafter

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Th13teen
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Loved by some. Hated by others. What do you think?

Also why does it have really long lines and moves at snail's pace when you are queuing.

The worst thing is being in the preshow room where you are forced to watch the clip about 50 times because it is so short.

Charlie and the chocolate factory is my 2nd fav ride at towerz. (right after nemesi)!!!111!1!

Charlie is by far my least favourite ride in the park and one of my least favourite rides overall.

The ride is bland, boring, bland tacky, bland, unenjoyable, bland and bland. The elevator is the only good bit of the ride, but an alright finish can't save a bland ride.

Rita is a (dis)honourable mention.

I'd probably put Charlie down as my 19th favourite (fantabulous) attraction at the resort, coming in just behind The Haunted Hollow.

There are a few issues with Charlie;

- it replaced a colourful, musical, magical, moving, 3D ride
- it usually only runs one lift which means they send loads of empty boats and the queue gets big
- the pre show video is too short for the time you spend queueing
- the first scene is good, then it goes down hill from there, you can tell he budget ran out at the mirror scene.
- half the effects are often broken or off
- if you are unlucky you watch the adverts before the lift for ages
- "would you please move to the front of the screen"
- stand on a colour spot has not been used for years
- Most of it is 2D
- the exit is a corridor with no chocolate shop!

I do love the music though.

As a kid I loved going through the gingerbread house on the Vintage Cars ride because it had a scent device which gave off a sweet smell as you went through. I expected CATCF to have a chocolate scent running throughout the boat section but it never did and I think they missed a trick there.

When i need time for painkillers to work, and could do with a laugh. there is nothing better then a gentle ride on charlie and the cardboard cut out factory. its a bit of 2D cheesyness, however i would prefer it to be toyland tours.

There was a chocolate scent that ran throughout CATCF when it opened. I haven't smelt any chocolate smells in there for years though.

I like the music. Although the blank spots, 2D cardboard cutouts, broken effects (yes they are effects if that shocks some of you!) and creaking lifts (I know there are budget cuts but WD-40 is a wonderful thing) kind of dampen the experience.

I don't think it would be so bad if there was something worse there before it. But the fact a 90s dark ride was 100x better than the mess that sits there now just kinda shows how bad it is. Newer usually means better.

I always thought it was part of the deal that the Dahl family had to be happy with the state of the ride for Towers to run it. If thats true they've clearly not been since its opening season.

I dont dislike the ride, it had the possibility to be great. It just wasn't. Adding to the list of @djtruefitt which pretty much nailed the list of problems. But one of the biggest points in the story is the gates, the ride was meant to have the gates and it didn't. How sad.

Also the poor running capacity when on 1 lift is horrible.

Anyway, lets be positive, its almost fireworks time and theres always one stray firework...

Alton Towers also appear to have renamed it on Ride Times so it doesn't get confused with Charlie and Lola. How would the Dahls feel about that?!

I've only ever been on the ride once and wasn't really that impressed with it.

There's so much more they could do with it

Apparently (source: my parents who were on park whilst i was at DLP) the queue line video has now broken, and the one lift is still not working and it appears that no attempt is being made to fix anything.

they said that it looked worse off than blade

Apparently (source: my parents who were on park whilst i was at DLP) the queue line video has now broken, and the one lift is still not working and it appears that no attempt is being made to fix anything.

they said that it looked worse off than blade
I saw a thing on Twitter a couple weeks ago to Alton Towers reporting that the pre-show video had broken and the screen had gone green