• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

ChatGPT and AI

Could I just make a blunt point here about the workings of the brain.
We don't actually know 90% of what the brain does, or how it does it.
Even after all these years.
So comparing this to "how the brain works" is fundamentally flawed.
Because we don't actually know.

Reactions: Tom
We only understand about 10% of how the brain actually functions yes, which is what it does and how it does it. But the underlying structure of what allows it to function, sort of like the blueprint / the design of the cell structures / neurons etc, we understand quite a bit more. A VERY important distinction to make.

Think of it like a computer in this hypothetical scenario, imagine knowing the layout of the computer, you have your CPU, RAM, GPU, motherboard etc and we understand that, we understand the physical architecture inside the microprocessors and chips and hard drives, the layouts of the transistors etc, then we also understand that the computer deals in 1's and 0's. All of that is akin to what we understand about the brain. Non of the above mentioned things would allow us to understand what the computer does and how it does it, but the underlying blueprint that in turn provides the platform, to allow it to do what it does. Even though we do not understand much about what it does and how it does it, with this information, we can build a virtual brain (neural network) if you will, then experiment.

What we do not understand about the brain, which we do about computers, is once we have the design as mentioned above, is then how the data is manipulated inside the computer to make the thing work. Which can be compared to the the functioning of the brain, that is what we only know 10% of.

Then through trial and error, the networks themselves, over time, work out what to do, how to do it and how to function. They have started doing this VERY successfully now. We are after all, basing our designs of neural networks on the physical design of the brain, something we can visually see, through a microscope. So they are fundamentally based on a design, as designed by nature, so it is no surprise they can and have started to fill in the blanks so to speak.

Because we know much more than 10% of the physical layout and design of the cell / neuron structures, by looking at them through microscope's and what not, it has allowed us to build AI neural networks based on the said blueprint above. So no, I disagree with the "how the brain works" is fundamentally flawed, that argument itself is fundamentally flawed for the above mentioned reasons.

Ironically, AI, which is designed on the brain structure, is now unlocking more secrets about how the real brain functions too. Which is only getting better over time. It is coming full circle. Again, going back to the knowledge age we are now in.

Last edited:
Comparing the working of a computer with the human brain remains fundamentally flawed.
Apart from the natural/synthetic/emotion argument, we simply do not know what we are comparing the computer intelligence to.
You cannot make the comparison without knowing how the brain works fully.
We remain in the dark about how 90% of the brain works, and where the thought "energy" is consumed.
And all of this hasn't happened before, sorry.
All of this is very new indeed.

Reactions: Tom
On the subject of AI’s ability to do creative things, as was mentioned earlier; surely AI, due to the inherent nature of it, does not have the ability to be creative like humans do?

The most recent albums by (the best band in the world) Everything Everything was largely written by AI. The result is for me some of the most beautiful song writing of recent times. If I'd chose one I'd go and listen to Jenifer.

This is worth a read, then go and stream the album.

Albums art and aspects of the accompanying videos also created by AI,

That Jennifer track sounds good. Tried a few others on Youtube and wasn't overly keen, but that's just a personal taste thing.

Comparing the working of a computer with the human brain remains fundamentally flawed.
Apart from the natural/synthetic/emotion argument, we simply do not know what we are comparing the computer intelligence to.
You cannot make the comparison without knowing how the brain works fully.
We remain in the dark about how 90% of the brain works, and where the thought "energy" is consumed.
And all of this hasn't happened before, sorry.
All of this is very new indeed.

I agree with most of that Rob I do. Right now, very rare for me, I do not have a counter argument to come back on for that. Savour this moment!!

Last edited: