• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Ched Evans Debate

You're ignoring the fact he:
  • Is unrepentant despite being found guilty;
  • Has served half of a sentence despite the above
A requirement of the rehabilitation you mention is the person's desire to be rehabilitated - the acceptance of their wrongdoings and wanting to move forward.

He is not asking to be given a second chance. His position is that he has done nothing wrong and expects to pick up where he left off and that people should side with him in his view of his innocence. He is an arrogant piece of a four letter word, a complete piece of scum.

In my opinion, not everyone deserves a second chance and Ched Evans is one of them. I'm glad Sheffield United made the correct decision.

They made the correct decision but comments from their co-chairman makes it sounds like it was not the decision they wanted to take. They've come away from this looking really bad.

:)

It is understood that he will be unveiled by a League One club tomorrow morning. Conflicting reports between it being Oldham and Port Vale today, with the latter gaining a little more ground.

I say let him attempt to play, but he won't last long anywhere in the UK because the opposition fans' reaction will be so strong he will not be able to play. You're talking objects thrown and all sorts. He will become a liability and be dropped rapidly. It takes quite a stupid club and manager to not see that to be honest. As for being barred from playing abroad that is justified as he has not served his time yet, he is still on probation.

For all the cries of "he could be innocent for all we know", well you could say that about anyone in prison. A jury of men and women were privy to all the evidence and found him guilty. No one knows better than them. All the comparisons to other cases are flawed as those people admitted guilt and/or showed remorse eventually.

My club continued to employ Steve Finnan after he murdered a pensioner, so it'd be hypocritical of me to say he should never play football again. It's up to the clubs to decide. Fortunately, rapists are looked down on in society so he'll be spat on, abused, and hopefully receive a career ending tackle.

Port Vale's chairman has said it's not true, so looking like Oldham.

I for one will be contributing to the hostile atmosphere when Oldham play my team - if he lasts that long!

Looks like port vale will be signing him Stoke on Trent clubs will have anybody

I almost hope he does get a club just to see the sheer amount of abuse that will come his way from opposition (and maybe even his potential club's own) fans. It will be quite something! Looks like Oldham are now re-considering though.

:)

Reactions: Tom
I don't understand how people can be so thick and be almost shocked by the controversy every time they entertain the idea of accommodating him.

He literally would not be able to play a match. The closeness of the crowd to the players at League One's smaller stadiums would be intense. Opposition fans would verbally and quite probably physically abuse/missile him. I know a lot of people in football aren't the brightest, but I don't understand why managers (although sounds like Oldham's is against it), chairman, directors and Evans himself just cannot see the problems it does/would bring.

Ched didn't see the problems sleeping with a girl who didn't consent would bring so I doubt he'll see the problems trying to play football will bring.

And it seems that Oldham probably will be offering Ched Evans a contract. I hope it comes to bite them in the backside.

Last edited:
In some ways I find it ironic that the liberals amongst us are trying everything to stop him finding a job. (Including intimidating sponsors)

IF Ched was a brick layer or an unemployed layabout they would be busting a gut to say he should be given a chance.

Hypocritical driven by envy in the extreme.

I think his first game will be interesting, i can see it going one of two ways.
The oldham fans will boycott the game and their stand is empty or ched will get so much verbal abuse and objects thrown on the pitch that they have to sub him or abandoned the game.

Or more likely come on as a sub and score the winner and suddenly he's a hero.

Football's like that.;)

That's pretty on point tbh.

Lots of footballers have done heinous things (Marlon King, Lee Hughes, Luke McCormick, Steve Finnan...) and Evans, while he's definitely been in the media more than they ever were, will probably be seen no differently to them by the end of the year assuming that he does sign for Oldham (He'll probably get the occasional chant calling him a ****, but that'll be it).

In some ways I find it ironic that the liberals amongst us are trying everything to stop him finding a job. (Including intimidating sponsors)
This is true.

Hypocritical driven by envy in the extreme.
This is stupid.

I reckon he'll be signed next week, now he and the club get to play the victim over the threats, while everyone ignores the fact the teenage victim has had to change her identity five times for daring to report being raped. I think it's wrong to make threats to board member's families, and hypocritical, but he is a rapist, if he didn't want to be treated like one he should have stayed at home with his fiance and not raped someone.